What's new

Some history, newbie questions about watts and volts...and maybe some more...

tampano

Hi everyone,
first of all thanks to all you kind people who will read this post without screaming "oh no, again?".

I'm new to vaping, quit smoking all of a sudden almost two months ago and quite curious about this nice substitute.

My first device, the one I'll be always grateful to, has been an Aspire K2. I love it, I still use it, it's totally straightforward. No doubts there.

Then a friend gave me as a gift a small iLeaf 40w mod with a Cubis tank. With that I started to try some sub-Ohm fun, still loving the comfort of all-in-one coils just to be replaced once in a while. I love the size of the iLeaf, I hate the Cubis when it spits back...but all considered, it's a nice and easy setup.

Still wanting to stay away (for how long? don't really know) from the rebuildable world, which I bet is super fun, I bought a bigger mod and a way bigger tank: a Kangertech Kbox which goes up to 200w and a Uwell Crown tank.

I used the Crown straight away with its default 0.25 coil, at around 50w and I liked it. Today I wanted to mount the 0.50 coil and give it a try....so the question came to my mind: how do I decide a wattage for a coil? Is it just something related to the temperature and comfort/discomfort I'll feel when vaping? I tried some research around but I got results with people using said coil at 40w while others using it at 90w. Confusing uh?

Plus a last minute doubt: a colleague told me "never vape at more than 4v (yes, 4 volts) or it will be carcinogenic as well".

I thanking you all in advance and I hope this post will keep me busy from buying an RDA online :-)

Tampano

Hi and welcome to the Planet.
i started with a istick30 and then a few weeks later a 40w and still use it every day at work almost 2 years later.

personally i dont even look at the volts and only go by wattage. almost all mods now are regulated so turning the wattage up will adjust the voltage automatically so no need to worry about it. as long as you keep between the range for each coil you will be fine.

at home ive got 4 crowns on the go. 2 of the original and two crown 2

now everyone has their own sweet spot and that is why some vape at 40w while others vape at 90w.
youve just got to work out what suits you. always start low and then turn up after each puff to find what suits you best.

here is all the crown coils out there. im not sure if you have the original tank or the crown 2 so ill post both sets of coils.

UWELL CROWN

0.5 dual = 30-80w

0.25 dual = 80-120w

1.2 single = 10-30w

0.15 TC Ni200 = (302°F – 662°F)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

UWELL CROWN 2

0.8 = 35-55w

0.5 = 50-80w

0.25 = 60-100w

With a 0.5 coil id say start at 35w and if thats not cutting it, bump it up in 5w increments until you get a vape you're happy with. The wicking capability of the coil will be the deciding factor, if you start getting dry hits you've probably gone too high.

Vaping above 4V isn't inherently carcinogenic, vaping burning cotton and boiling juice probably is though. I've got a few 25mm drippers and the coils i put in them need at least 4.8-5V to get warm. The party doesn't really start til 6.5V :p

Plus a last minute doubt: a colleague told me "never vape at more than 4v (yes, 4 volts) or it will be carcinogenic as well".
To put it politely, this is horse shit.

As others have said it's all down to personal preference. As @MrDJ said each coil has a recommended wattage range, this is usually printed on the side of the coil. I usually start start at the bottom of the recommended wattage and keep bumping it up until I get a vape I like. You'll know when you've gone too high as it'll taste like a small bonfire.

Just to add you don't have to use the recommended wattage printed on coils, you can start much lower, just see how it works for you and stop when you get a good vape without problems.

resistance is my friend not my enemy. :D
ce5f907d929471c11b0e35d76215bd6afa832f95863d618437901625b971201a.jpg

Voltage is incidental with modern regulated mods.

There are still some around that work on voltage and not wattage, and with these you set the voltage according to the resistance of your coil, but if you have a wattage setting you can ignore the voltage.

Back
Top Bottom