What's new

Spaced coils

Yep. I threw away a pair of SS fused Clapton coils that had been in my Asgard 25 for 12 months. I just burnt off the gunk, every month or so. To be fair, they didn’t look like they were old, when I threw them away.
I hope Ni80 is as resilient, I`ve got some on order.

it’s not resilience that is the problem, to my perception it tastes like mouldy socks. stainless is definitely the most neutral wire as far as funky tastes go.
Great !!! that`s just what I needed to hear, is that just when the coils are new?

@vapervince mostly, it definitely calms down over time. but there are a few of us that only use stainless wire for this reason. i see people posting about cotton having “break in” time and think to myself, i bet you are using ni80 or kanthal wire.

you should def pick up a roll of ss wire and see how you get on with it.

Titanium is cleaner imo.

It may be but it's exclusive to TCR.

I do exactly the same.
+1 on doing an extra wrap each side and then pulling back.

Personally I always use spaced CC round wire in my MTLs, I find them to taste a lot better than closed kanthal coils.

Yep. I threw away a pair of SS fused Clapton coils that had been in my Asgard 25 for 12 months. I just burnt off the gunk, every month or so. To be fair, they didn’t look like they were old, when I threw them away.

12 months?!! I found that the only coils which tasted as good after a dry burn as a new coil were some handmade Aliens I bought when I bought a Kennedy, but then again they cost 15 euros for 2 coils which is extortionate. I usually dry burn commercial spool coils 2 or 3 times, but the taste goes downhill every time.

Here's a handy trick for making a spaced coil on a jig if you need help.

For what it's worth, I use SS316 too. I always feel it's the cleanest for some reason. The low resistance does make number of wraps you need annoying though. I get bothered by stupid things like that. :(

For what it's worth, I use SS316 too. I always feel it's the cleanest for some reason. The low resistance does make number of wraps you need annoying though. I get bothered by stupid things like that. :(

Interesting but unnecessarily complicated when the simple pull and push method plus removing 2 wraps works fine.

Regarding resistance, it just depends on the intended use. On the Taifun GSL, Kayfun 5 and FeV 4 for instance I use 6 wraps, 2.5mm ID coils coming to 0.5 Ohm, vape perfectly at 20W. On the Corona V8 which is usually a clouder I use 3mm ID spaced SS coils with 8-9 wraps and again it works fine at maybe 35W - can't remember exactly because I usually build it with contact coil Ni80 fused Claptons nowadays.

you could either get thinner gauge wire, or just ignore the resistance. it doesn’t make much difference with a reg mod, i find. a bit cooler or a bit hotter.

but what’s all this madness about two extra wraps? people love to unnecessarily complicate things. :)

Back
Top Bottom