What's new

Spaced coils

vapervince

Achiever
Can anybody tell me if there is such a thing as a spaced coil mandrel? I`ve been wrapping micro coils out of 0.6mm kanthal that ohm out about 1 ohm. Since I started re using the forums more vapers are mentioning that spaced coils give more flavor so thought I`d have a play about.

I was thinking of using a woodscrew or a machined screw with a course thread as a mandrel - how do you guys do it? Do you leave the spaces as you`re wrapping or do you make a micro coil and tease the coils apart?

Not that I’ve found. But a parallel corse thread bolt, works just fine. Though, with practice, it’s not really needed.

Can anybody tell me if there is such a thing as a spaced coil mandrel? I`ve been wrapping micro coils out of 0.6mm kanthal that ohm out about 1 ohm. Since I started re using the forums more vapers are mentioning that spaced coils give more flavor so thought I`d have a play about.

I was thinking of using a woodscrew or a machined screw with a course thread as a mandrel - how do you guys do it? Do you leave the spaces as you`re wrapping or do you make a micro coil and tease the coils apart?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...-and-dual-coils-the-mad-scientist-way.683373/

Piece of piss with a Coilmaster v4, just stretch and push back.

This little tool came with my vapefly masterful toolkit, you can get similar sorts of tools on amazon, aliexpress fastech and such.

20221013_132455.jpg

But to be honest the easiest and best way to do a spaced coil is the stretch and push method, the results are no different to a specialty tool.

From my experience though spaced coils don't really give any better flavor than round wire contact coils.
What they are good for is raising your resistance a little and making your cotton last a bit longer.
The trade off is that you're less likely to get the "crackle" that people seem to love.
Another benefit is spaced coils don't get hotspots so you don't need to dry fire before wicking which makes them ideal for temp control builds.

Just to clarify in case no one has mentioned yet.
The stretch and push method is where you wrap a coil on your tool as usual, stretch open the wraps and then push the coil against the end of the tool and the spaces will even out.

I do 2 extra wraps, then use stretch and push method. Then pull 1 wrap from each end with pliers while coil is on coil rod as first wrap isnt usually as even as the rest.

M3 Screw, such as the ones holding Switches and Light Switches to their backing plates. ;)

Back
Top Bottom