What's new

Steam Crave Aromarizer Plus : why does it sometimes leak and sometimes doesn't?

JulesCT

Postman
First post here from a forum newbie. Cannot seem to find much about this awesome tank in the forums, so I thought I would join and pose the question.

I bought myself a Steam Crave Aromamizer Plus RDTA Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomizer a couple of months ago and I love it. Good flavour, clouds and a serious amount of liquid held inside.

My standard set up is using the 10ml tank which is larger than I have had in the past (iJoy Limitless Plus was the previous title holder at about 7ml) but I have also tried it at 20ml using the adapter kit comprising of a new 20ml glass tube and extension chimney for the inside. I have ordered a second Aromarizer Plus purely to set it up with the 20ml tank and use it at home because I don't want to keep disassembling and reassembling it if I go out when, frankly, a 20ml chimney on top of a Reuleaux 2/3 is just too big.

http://www.steamcrave.com/plus-p00070p1.html

One inconvenience is that often it leaks like a mofo when filling even when you shut the liquid supply off. I had gotten into the habit of refilling the tank with a precautionary paper towel around the air inlets to soak up the dribbling juice. However, my last rebuild worked fine, no leaking, dry as a bone, perfect in fact. I have no idea why and I wondered if anyone else had a clue. I have looked at the usual suspects, poorly threaded, incorrectly placed deck, but cannot spot the reason.

What size coils are you using? I use 3mm inner diameter coils, and the amount of wicking that I can fit through the coils means mine has never leaked (touch wood!). You don't want the cotton packed down too tight but you can get plenty in there, covering the juice holes.

Titanium, 26 AWG, 0.32ohm. That might be it though. The cotton not covering the juice holes properly? Would make sense. Doesn't leak a minute or so after you have the top cover back on due to air pressure holding the liquid back but if the juice holes aren't covered by the cotton wadding then it would just pour out whilst you have the top off.

Thank you tobywonkanobi. Will pay attention to this on my next rewick, which I feel coming on in a matter of minutes.

Wicking is by far the most common cause of leaking, so @tobywonkanobi 's advice to pay attention there is solid. You need the wick tails to be nice and fluffy, thin them out if you're using larger coils or you'll probably end up compacting the cotton in the wicking wells. Also make sure your wicking covers but does not extend into the juice slots ... leave it clear of fibres when viewed from underneath.

underside 1.jpg

The massive juice slots pose a problem with very thin juices, they're not ideal for this deck and require denser wicking. Thick juices are no problem as long as the tails are fluffy.

If your wicking is good, and you still get leaking during refills, it could be a problem with the JFC ring not seating correctly on the base cap. If the mating faces are not spot on then the juice will bypass the JFC ring in the locked position.

First check that the deck is properly installed, that the tabs are aligned with the slots in the chamber. This usually results in seeping between the AFC and JFC and not leaking through airholes. Next try assembling the base cap and JFC, invert it holding it by the base cap only with fingertips and tap it out as shown in this photo. It should give off a solid ring, like it's a single component. If it rings and rattles like the two parts are knocking against each other then either the o-ring needs replacing or the JFC machining is not spot on. You should easily notice if the or-ring is a problem, so replace it. If it's not the o-ring, contact [email protected] and let her know about it, she will get you a replacement part(s) that should fix the problem.

JFC base Plus.jpg

The reason why it sometimes leaks and sometimes doesn't will be time. If you refill quickly, the juice won't seep through the gap between the JFC and base cap. If you take too long, especially when refilling the 20ml tank, the seepage will be enough to flood the deck. The longer the top cap is off, the more likely you'll get this flooding/leaking.

Last edited:
scrumpox thank you for the illustrated guide, deeper dive and helpful contact. I have noticed the issue of the base cap and JFC not being properly aligned resulting in a air inlet that just wobbles too much, sorted that one out. Unfortunately, it happened during until an evening out in London with my Aromarizer constantly leaking juice and working its way through 10ml of homemade Unicorn Mothers Milk in my pocket (wrapped in a thick paper towel luckily). My juices tend to be heavy on the VG side with 70% being my minimum, so I reckon I will have to rebore my bottles dripper to feed more quickly when using the 20ml.

I'll see on the next wicking if making sure that the holes are covered by fluffy cotton, my gut tells me that is where I probably messed up last time, but my gut has been wrong before.

Thanks both for your invaluable help.

When refilling with juice, turn off the juice control & air flow and fill tank. Screw top cap back on and turn the tank upside down, while upside down open air flow and juice control. If this method doesnt work, I imagine your wicking is'nt right.

Just rebuilt and changed coils and wick, making sure to properly cover the juice holes. No leakage noticed. Will test it a few more times before I consider it as completely sussed.

As pointed out by @scrumpox in other threads there will also be a build up of juice condensation in the chimney which is unavoidable and can leak out the air holes. In the olden days before fill caps you'd have access to the chimney/chamber and would mop it out with a tissue before cracking on. Once you've got your coil and wicking sussed this dribbling can make you think you have a leak which you may not. A tissue round the air holes and a quick blow down the drip tip
Can clear it

Back
Top Bottom