What's new

Storing shortfills long term?

Three rules simple to follow: chill (do not freeze), put it in a dark place (or dark bottle) and fill it to the cap minimizing the amount of the oxygen in the bottle.

The nic's PG based and does not freeze, it just becomes thick in viscosity.

The nic's PG based and does not freeze, it just becomes thick in viscosity.
Oh, I am not about the "freezing" as a... solidification? ... how to say: in the medieval in my country, the way of making strong alcohol was: fermentation of honey, then freezing the mixture. While in theory water+alcohol are perfectly soluble in each other - it formed a liquid fraction of the alcohol-rich and frozen water (ice) granules. By repeating the procedure - you could have up to some 20-25% by volume. It is a typical behaviour of a solution of two or more compounds where one does have a freezing point much different from the other ones.

Now: going back to the topic: in the room or chilled temperatures - it is fine. Yet - if you'd go lower, let's say -25C or so - I would not exclude the possibility that one or more aroma compound would crystalize. Yes, it CAN dissolve again while going up with the temperature, but I did not tested such so I cannot be sure (and it will be depending on the used flavours).

Ah, my freezer is kept at -18, so hopefully fine. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom