What's new

The Sun has a dig at vaping again

I never understood the branding issue with cigarettes either. As a kid, I didn't decide to start smoking because I liked the branding.

Did any of you?

Now, once I had decided to smoke, the branding may well have influenced which brand I chose, for sure.

But it had absolutely zero influence on my decision to buy cigarettes in the first place.

But it seems that now we have it both ways then. You can't have cartoons and bold colourful childish packaging on e-liquid because it supposedly appeals to kids who want to be childish, but sophisticated adult themed packaging will appeal to kids who want to appear more grown up!

Hmmm...

Of course, the true answer is that the packaging shouldn't matter if children aren't allowed to buy e-liquid anyway. Enforce that, and we can have whatever packaging we like.

But in reality, that won't happen. I wonder why?

Of course, That's why we have sludge green fag packets now, because they don't appeal to anyone.

The attacks on vaping because of childish packaging isn't to try and get the packaging more adult looking, it's just to attack vaping and put it in a negative light.

..... to conclude, I don't think we should be making it that easy for them.

This looks like kids sweets = sweets e-liquid is marketed at kids

.... too easy, might as well be kicking the ball in your own net.

Wtf is packaging aimed at children?
If it was aimed at children, it would have fucking teletubbies, mr tumble, or even paw patrol plastered all over it.
Stupid fucking world we live in where the slightest bit of colour and its ‘OH! Its aimed at kids!’
Just because its a cartoon doesnt mean its aimed at kids, do these clowns think political cartoons that have been around in newspapers for decades/over a century were aimed at kids?

I never understood the branding issue with cigarettes either. As a kid, I didn't decide to start smoking because I liked the branding.

Did any of you?

Now, once I had decided to smoke, the branding may well have influenced which brand I chose, for sure.

But it had absolutely zero influence on my decision to buy cigarettes in the first place.

Much of marketing and advertising doesn’t consciously influence anybody to buy anything. For a long time now advertising has targeted unconscious drives and impulses. It’s pernicious.

Wtf is packaging aimed at children?
If it was aimed at children, it would have fucking teletubbies, mr tumble, or even paw patrol plastered all over it.
Stupid fucking world we live in where the slightest bit of colour and its ‘OH! Its aimed at kids!’
Just because its a cartoon doesnt mean its aimed at kids, do these clowns think political cartoons that have been around in newspapers for decades/over a century were aimed at kids?

No, what they do is sit there, think "how can we create a negative media story about vaping" ... then they go "I know, we'll say they are aiming the products at children" ... then pull up some pictures of e-liquids that look like sweet packets and off they go, get their mates in the tobacco industry to back them up and say they are pulling competitors products off the shelves and their mates in the media to publish it ... job done.

They aren't stupid, they probably don't even believe it themselves.

But what's the counter argument for having 'childish packaging' on e-liquids? ... what's the positives? I can't really even think of a good defense for it let alone a positive spin.

No, what they do is sit there, think "how can we create a negative media story about vaping" ... then they go "I know, we'll say they are aiming the products at children" ... then pull up some pictures of e-liquids that look like sweet packets and off they go, get their mates in the tobacco industry to back them up and say they are pulling competitors products off the shelves and their mates in the media to publish it ... job done.

They aren't stupid, they probably don't even believe it themselves.

:2thumbsup:

All of the attacks on vaping from the tpd bullshit,through all the bad news story's to the now 'save the kids' stuff has been done and will carry on being done with one aim

To hand the nicotine dealing back to the people that delt it with death in the first place. The only difference is they will still be dealing it out with death but also will be the biggest vaping company's in the UK and will be dealing it out without tobacco and without death (as far as we know lol)

Gov+big tobacco always friends and for as long as big tobacco have big money it will stay that way.

But it seems that now we have it both ways then. You can't have cartoons and bold colourful childish packaging on e-liquid because it supposedly appeals to kids who want to be childish, but sophisticated adult themed packaging will appeal to kids who want to appear more grown up!

Hmmm...

Of course, the true answer is that the packaging shouldn't matter if children aren't allowed to buy e-liquid anyway. Enforce that, and we can have whatever packaging we like.

But in reality, that won't happen. I wonder why?

Problem is ...... whatever it looks like I don't actually think anybody on here really believes that most of the juices are actually aimed at kids. It's just there's a huge market for retro sweets and cartoons characters in the adult world. Especially amongst men - look at the threads in the lounge on what TV programmes people miss - it's nostalgia as much as anything.

I agree with the comments on lazy branding and copying, but I do wonder if we do the vape market any favours in leaping to attack brands with so-called 'childish' images and flavours ..... just in case it can be used against vapers and vape in the media. Shit gets thrown daily, in all directions, and it sticks less than it used to due to the sheer volume of it .... especially if it can be disproved by facts and statistics. I get sick and tired of running scared from phantom bogeymen sometimes. :17:

Much of marketing and advertising doesn’t consciously influence anybody to buy anything. For a long time now advertising has targeted unconscious drives and impulses. It’s pernicious.
But I definitely didn't start smoking due to advertising.

I started smoking due to peer influence alone.

Back
Top Bottom