What's new

The Sun has a dig at vaping again

But I definitely didn't start smoking due to advertising.

I started smoking due to peer influence alone.

That might be the case. But I’m not sure you can be 100% certain that no other factors influenced you in any way, or influenced your decision to keep smoking after you’d started.

I never understood the branding issue with cigarettes either. As a kid, I didn't decide to start smoking because I liked the branding.

Did any of you?

Now, once I had decided to smoke, the branding may well have influenced which brand I chose, for sure.

But it had absolutely zero influence on my decision to buy cigarettes in the first place.
Nope, and I'm sure branding had little or nothing to do with it. I started due to hanging out with 'the cool kids' ( :doh:) and I then smoked the cheapest I could manage without coughing my guts up ... for 30 odd years.

Nope, and I'm sure branding had little or nothing to do with it. I started due to hanging out with 'the cool kids' ( :doh:) and I then smoked the cheapest I could manage without coughing my guts up ... for 30 odd years.

But why did the cool kids smoke? Why was smoking considered to be cool in the first place?

Because we were told not to? :D

You don’t think the tobacco industry was all over perpetuating that idea that smoking was cool and rebellious?

Smoking rebellious characters in films etc. That’s something that was heavily pushed and manipulated.

You’re aware that the smoking American feminists was a direct product placement by big tobacco, aye?

You don’t think the tobacco industry was all over perpetuating that idea that smoking was cool and rebellious?

Smoking rebellious characters in films etc. That’s something that was heavily pushed and manipulated.

You’re aware that the smoking American feminists was a direct product placement by big tobacco, aye?
But to be fair, I don't think I'd have heard of them. I was cooped up in a boarding school and not allowed to watch TV. And I was told not to gob too .... which I also did ........... with alacrity :D

It was 'cool' because it was 'adult' .... and because it pissed the grown-ups off. To my tiny 13 year old brain.

Back
Top Bottom