What's new

Trouble with Brunhilde (RTA MTL)

Is it one of these suckers that you have? I find them really easy. I couldn't do a coil without one tbh :rofl:

1723563574947.png

Is it one of these suckers that you have? I find them really easy. I couldn't do a coil without one tbh :rofl:

View attachment 356251

It's similar to that, but not the same brand. It's possible that the particular one I have is just rubbish. It's also possible that I'm just rubbish at using it (I seemed to have trouble keeping proper pressure on it and I just ended up with overlapped coils).

Keep at it, recoil n rewick, put in more cotton than you think it needs, don't over prime, 2 drops either side of the coil and the same at the wick ends on the ropes will be plenty... you would be surprised at how little it takes for the cotton to be fully wet...reviewers for some reason paint it on, I've never done this, in general most atties are more suited to sealing from the outside in, also painting it on encourages spit back .it's totally unnecessary IMO

Keep at it, recoil n rewick, put in more cotton than you think it needs, don't over prime, 2 drops either side of the coil and the same at the wick ends on the ropes will be plenty... you would be surprised at how little it takes for the cotton to be fully wet...reviewers for some reason paint it on, I've never done this, in general most atties are more suited to sealing from the outside in, also painting it on encourages spit back .it's totally unnecessary IMO
Ah, that's that's helpful! Particularly about the priming.

When you say more cotton - do you mean in terms of thickness or tail length?

It's similar to that, but not the same brand. It's possible that the particular one I have is just rubbish. It's also possible that I'm just rubbish at using it (I seemed to have trouble keeping proper pressure on it and I just ended up with overlapped coils).
Ah I've had that problem.

For me the trick was to put virtually NO pressure on it, just wind it round and let it take the winder section up naturally.

(Then I pull the coil up and off the pole - doing that tends to bend the lower leg away from the coil as you pull it through and out of the hole in the main section. So I then re-plop the coil on the spool the other way round, with the bent leg pointing up, and gently jam the winder section down and around on it to bend it back into the proper shape. It sounds like a faff, but it only takes 5 secs to do, and you get a lovely tight coil that never pops or drips.)

Last edited:

Making your own coils does take a bit of practice and it's not for everyone, I slightly space mine after I've made them. You could always give pre-made coils a try.

When using a coil winder with round-wire I find it best to do the first two wraps by hand - yes they will look shit - then use the winder to add the number of wraps you actually want. Then, cut the wire really close to the hole where it is initially threaded through the jig to remove it. Put the coil back on the rod and, leaving the coil on the rod use pliers to pull/ unwind the first two shit wraps leaving you with the number of jig wound good wraps you actually want and the two formerly shit wraps will be unwound into a decent sized coil leg.

If you just stick the wire through the hole, catch the wire and start turning - the little screw that catches the wire on the winding cap will always snag on the first one or two wraps turning them into a snaggly bunch of bastards and if you use pressure to try to stop it snagging the wire will overlap the previous wrap - and if you cut the wire to leave a coil leg you will further screw up the coil when you try to pull the leg through the hole. Just accept the first two wraps will be shit so do them by hand - after two wraps are already wound on the little screw will no longer catch and turning the cap using very light pressure will produce a perfectly wound contact coil.

Hard to explain but easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
I figured it out. The problem was, in fact, me being daft.

There are two holes in the base. One is for filling the tank and one is the airflow hole. I was using them backwards (in part because the air-hole is bigger and thus looked like the appropriate place (because the actual liquid fill hole is actually a bit difficult with my particular bottles), and so was flooding my tank when I was trying to fill it, and, more importantly, had the airflow coming through the lower liquid tank rather than the actual air-hole when I was vaping.

It's perfectly fine when used as intended....

Back
Top Bottom