What's new

Western Warnings Tarnish Covid Vaccines the World Badly Needs

Crewella

Olympian
I'd not thought about this ................

Amid a deep residue of mistrust, American and European cautions on the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines risk igniting anti-vaccine fervor in countries that can’t afford to be particular.

Safety worries about the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccines have jeopardized inoculation campaigns far beyond the United States, undercutting faith in two sorely needed shots and threatening to prolong the coronavirus pandemic in countries that can ill afford to be choosy about vaccines.

With new infections surging on nearly every continent, signs that the vaccination drive is in peril are emerging, most disconcertingly in Africa.

In Malawi, people are asking doctors how to flush the AstraZeneca vaccine from their bodies. In South Africa, health officials have stopped giving the Johnson & Johnson shot, two months after dropping the AstraZeneca vaccine. And in the Democratic Republic of Congo, 1.7 million AstraZeneca doses have gone unused.

The sense of uncertainty deepened on Wednesday when an advisory committee to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention delayed a decision for seven to 10 days on lifting a pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, saying it wanted more data on a rare blood clotting disorder. Those shots were halted on Tuesday over concerns about the disorder, which emerged in six women, and on Wednesday the panel learned of two more examples.

the European Union said it would not make any more purchases of the AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson vaccines, but would pivot to relying solely on those, like Pfizer’s and Moderna’s, that are based on a newer technology and have not raised similar safety concerns.

The actions of American and European officials reverberated around the world, stoking doubts in poorer countries where a history of colonialism and unethical medical practices have left a legacy of mistrust in vaccines. If the perception takes hold that rich countries are dumping second-rate shots on poorer nations, those suspicions could harden, slowing the worldwide rollout of desperately needed doses.

Dr. Sara Oliver of the C.D.C. told the advisory panel that prolonging the pause in using the Johnson & Johnson vaccine “could have global implications.”

Already, doctors say, the recent pauses have vindicated vaccine skeptics and made many others feel duped.

“People, especially those who were vaccinated, felt like they had been tricked in a way — they were asking, ‘How do we get rid of the vaccine in our body?’” said Precious Makiyi, a doctor and behavioral scientist in Malawi, where health workers have been racing to empty their shelves of nearly expired AstraZeneca doses. “We fought so hard with vaccine messaging, but what has happened this past week has brought us back to square zero.”

African health officials have reacted with fury at the breezy reassurances of American and European lawmakers that people denied the AstraZeneca or Johnson & Johnson shots could be given another vaccine. In much of the world, there are no other vaccines.

And even as American health officials stressed that they paused use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on Tuesday in “an abundance of caution,” they forced global health officials to begin crafting the difficult case that shots that might not be safe enough for the world’s rich were still suited to its poor.

“It’s sending vaccine confidence into a crater,” Ayoade Alakija, a co-chair of the African Union’s Africa Vaccine Delivery Alliance, said of rich countries’ actions. “It’s irresponsible messaging, and it speaks to the selfishness of the moment that there wouldn’t be more consultation and communication.”

What rich countries call caution, poorer nations will experience as a devastating gamble with the survival of their citizens against Covid-19. “Out of an abundance of caution, let us not destroy vaccine confidence in places that only have access to one type of vaccine,” Dr. Alakija said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/14/world/europe/western-vaccines-africa-hesitancy.html

Certainly does give pause for thought. We have things easy in this country by comparison.

.... and even if we don't, most of us seem to have just got on with it. :D
Stiff upper lip, mate

J&J is superlucky they r known for their baby shampoo not their medicine.

Btw, i just skimmed the post, so i didnt see if u mentioned, but the az vaccine, as is, is not effective against the south african variant i thought, so it would b worse to distribute it because it would just figure out how to better negate the vaccine, and possibly the other ones that do work.

Stiff upper lip, mate

J&J is superlucky they r known for their baby shampoo not their medicine.

Btw, i just skimmed the post, so i didnt see if u mentioned, but the az vaccine, as is, is not effective against the south african variant i thought, so it would b worse to distribute it because it would just figure out how to better negate the vaccine, and possibly the other ones that do work.

no conclusive evidence on the South African variant the press have gone nuts of two studies of 2000 people

you have to realise one thing ok it doesn't work but why does it not work and can it be sorted have we a large amount of data to say it’s not working a big study group of 50 thousand people or are we basing it on hearsay

Personally I’m not concerned I’m more concerned with the huge death and cases in India Brazil and Canada the figures for India are mind bending rates of infection so a mutation in India for 1 billion people is something that could endanger the whole of the world

This is bull.. If they truly want these other countries to be innoculated, they will send the vaccines over. They can have mine! My brother in law got the vaccine and wound up on a respirator for 20 days. They promised him the booster wouldn't hurt him like the first shot did and he became very ll again, to where there were times they thought they were going to have to put him on the respirator again... And no he didn't have covid before the vaccine. He had been in the hospital for sepsis treatment for almost 2 months prior to the vaccine they gave him. His physical therapy wouldn't give him physical therapy until he had it. Being bed ridden for do long he can't walk.

They're trying to manipulate us into getting the vaccine.
I was told by my allergist to NOT get the vaccine. He's worried if it's given to me it will kill me. I have such high allergies and my triphase levels are way to high. Meaning anything my body comes in contact with my body overreacts to it. Hence why I can't use PG.

I sincerely hope this article doesn't manipulate you into getting a vaccine you don't want. And none of them are 100 effective. Look up their effectiveness...
Awful funny how something they said would be free is suddenly like 1800$
There is plenty of vaccine available. They can send it if they want. But I believe the vaccine is a population control. Call me conspiracy I don't care.

This is bull.. If they truly want these other countries to be innoculated, they will send the vaccines over.

They can’t make the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines fast enough to vaccinate all the countries that want them.

They're trying to manipulate us into getting the vaccine.

I think “they” are trying to encourage us to get the vaccine - because Covid is still killing many people, and the vaccines aren’t.

And none of them are 100 effective. Look up their effectiveness...
Awful funny how something they said would be free is suddenly like 1800$
There is plenty of vaccine available. They can send it if they want. But I believe the vaccine is a population control. Call me conspiracy I don't care.

The vaccines might not completely prevent people from getting Covid, but they’re all proven as very effective against people getting severe illness and dying. Which is the point. I would rather take the chance of being vaccinated over my chances of beating Covid. You’re free to make your own choice about which you’d prefer :)

It's funny what different people take away from the same article - this was the point that jumped out at me from that piece:

The actions of American and European officials reverberated around the world, stoking doubts in poorer countries where a history of colonialism and unethical medical practices have left a legacy of mistrust in vaccines. If the perception takes hold that rich countries are dumping second-rate shots on poorer nations, those suspicions could harden, slowing the worldwide rollout of desperately needed doses.

Back
Top Bottom