What's new

A question on single cell mods

Maggs

Initiate
Hi guys,

I have a vaporesso forz tx80 on the way to me with a molicel 26A 18650 cell and I have a few questions on saftey if I may gain from your experience,

I did a fair bit with electrics many years ago so I know ohms law, in theory, but am unaware of the safety built in to the regulated mods and want to be sure I have it correct. I understand the importance of charging cells outside of the device and inspecting and keeping the wrap in good condition also.

the tx80 is a single cell 80w mod, I’ve read that you should calculate their power at 90% efficiency so 72w max.

The best discharge rate I could see on a 18650 was 25A and I have read that the safe way to use it to not exceed 50% of its max so 12.5A

This would mean that maxed out at 72w with a .19ohm coil the discharge would be 19.2A. Am I right in thinking this is not ideal? That I should stick to the safe limit which would be 12.5A at .28ohm 47ish watts?

what are the built in fail safes for exceeding the safe over discharge of the battery? Or is it purely reliant on the user not being dense? I can see it has a few protections built in.

Also the mod is water resistant which I thought was a cool feature for me, but looking at it I am now worried about if there was a cell failure and it had to vent, will it have been tested in such a situation or have I just purchased a potential bomb?

sorry guys I can ‘t sleep and I always tend to over think things especially when it comes to safety, I don’t fancy blowing my face off. I have attached my calculations to work out the safe numbers.

many thanks
Maggs.

61A9C522-D58D-40C3-8727-F3E9EDB37C51.jpeg

Looks very thorough. I'm sure you will be fine. Regulated mods are very safe to use.

Where did you get the bit about only using the battery at 50% of its rated amps?
That’s a new one on me.
I’m sat here with an 18650 30q powered mech. Running a .35 ohm coil. So roughly 10 amps with a battery rated at 15amps. It’ll vape all day, quilt safely.
You can also rest assured an 80w mod will, generally, run between 76-80W. Indeed this mod seemed to output 83w, max, in one test.
as for the safeties built in. They depend on the mod. Though, over charge, over heat and short protection are pretty standard.

with a regulated mod, you need to try and leave the rigid calculations you’re doing now. You can run a .08 ohm coil @70w on a regulated mod, with only one battery, quite safely.

I have to say. If you’re loosing sleep, over this. You’re going to be a confirmed insomniac in perpetuity, I’m afraid.

vaping is safe, vape mods are safe. ( providing you’re using them as instructed) vape batteries are safe. The dangerous, part of vaping is the human, not the technology

I have to say. If you’re loosing sleep, over this. You’re going to be a confirmed insomniac in perpetuity, I’m afraid.

vaping is safe, vape mods are safe. ( providing you’re using them as instructed) vape batteries are safe. The dangerous, part of vaping is the human, not the technology

sorry, I didn’t mean I was losing sleep over this, I have a chronic pain condition which means it keeps me up a lot, and it just so happened that I couldn’t sleep and so was trying to work this out.

I understand the dangerous part is the human and that’s what I worry about, I’ve lost a good few brain cells so I just want to check I am correct in my understanding of how it all works. Li-ion batteries are not to be messing about with.

Ohms law is really only applicable to mech mods, a regulated mod has the protections to stop the battery issues. A good rule of thumb is Max watts = 3 times the max Amp draw for the battery, so a 25A battery would be 75W. There's some headroom there, but that's easy enough to remember.

What you do need to be careful of is the batteries. Use only well known batteries from well know suppliers. Some batteries claim high amp but really fall short.

My go to battery supplier is Fogstar, and you can get 20% off using code POTV20. Go to 18650 batteries for DTL are Molicel P26A or P28A. Sony, Samsung if you so wish.

As above, Put any coil in a regulated mod and just go for it (if it fires you are ok). I would not do this on mech tho.

toally agree with all of the above.
in simple terms as already mentioned, a regulated mod has protection so ohms law doesnt need to be applied as the mod works everything out for you.
if something is wrong the screen should show a warning and not fire.
ohms law must be followed using a mechanical (mech) as these have no protection.

youve already picked the correct battery and now the only one that is approved for vaping. all the others like samsung now put disclaimers covering their backs but we all still use them.

coil will show a wattage range say 20-50w and as long as you dont go over that then the coil shouldnt burrn out too quick. you can get duff coils from any make and if you prime the coil first by dripping juice on the cotton and then start at a much lower wattage than you want to vape at then turn up a couple of watts a puff until you reach your sweet spot this will bed the coil in and prolong its life.
if you do get a bit of a burnt taste straight away then dump the coil and replace with a new one.

the only thing i find with single battery mods is the higher the wattage you go you will be forever charging your battery so its always a good idea to have a spare fully charged. this is where an external charger helps as you can charge while you use the replaced battery in your mod.

I think you will be safe enough if you continually vape with a 25 Amp load (I've used 25 Amp VTC5As and P26A Molicel in single 18650 mechs with 0.17 builds for years without incident), but what WILL be an issue if you run a single 18650 mod at max power levels is poor run time.

I will use mechs at home and not care if I only get 40 or 50 hits before a battery needs charging as I have chargers and spare batteries at hand and can swap out with a fresh cell whenever I feel the need. I pocket carry single 18650 regulated mods when I'm outdoors and seldom vape above 50 Watts because of run time - if I vape at 50 Watts I'll get 180 to 200ish hits from a single charge, if I vape at 75 - 80 I'll get less than half of that and the mod will cut off really early because of battery sag under load.

I recommend you don't vape above 50 Watts because of run time issues. You CAN if you wish, and remain safe, but you will need to carry spare batteries and change them frequently. but if you do vape higher than 50 Watts you're better off with a dual battery mod.

Many thanks all, I’m happy now knowing that the regulated mod will stop me from being a dumb dumb.

Back
Top Bottom