What's new

Aspire Nautilus BVC coils - 1.6 lower wattage than 1.8 - ???

ostrichpelican

Initiate
Generally it seems that the lower the coil is in terms of ohms, the higher the wattage it is recommended for. However I just got a Nautilus 3 tank, and noticed that the 1.6 coils are rated for 7-11 watts, and the 1.8 ones for 10-14 watts. These numbers are printed on the packets, and the coils themselves, so if it's a mistake, it's one they've committed to :) - but it does seem back to front, and what made me wonder is that even at the max recommended 11 watts the 1.6 coil is very cool, and lacks much flavour - whereas even at the lowest recommended wattage of 10watts, the 1.8 is noticeably hotter and more flavoursome.

Anyone else noticed this and can think of an explanation? Or maybe it actually is a mistake, and the recommended wattages are the wrong way round?? (i.e. 1.8 should be 7-11 - 1.6 should be 10-14)

been like that forever so its not a mistake. nautilus was my first real tank and coils were the same wattage back in 2015

been like that forever so its not a mistake. nautilus was my first real tank and coils were the same wattage back in 2015
I'm right that usually the lower the ohms, the lower the wattage though, right? I suppose there could be some other reason, the way this particular coil is constructed or something, but it does seem to break the pattern . I will say the 1.6 coil I tried did last a lot longer than any other coil I've ever used, but maybe that is because the wattage is so low.

yeah it doesn't seem to make any sense and have wondered about this before. Don't have an explanation.

You're right in your assumption... generally... it's a rule of thumb and pretty loose to be honest. It varies quite a bit between brands too (though these are both nautilus coils so it's not crazy to presume they would follow the rule amongst themselves).

The whole 1.6/1.8 thing is pretty random anyway. I don't really know why they bother with both. One is meant to be better than the other, but fucked if I can remember which one.

The 1.0 mesh coils are the daddy these days AFAIC.

I'm right that usually the lower the ohms, the lower the wattage though, right? I suppose there could be some other reason, the way this particular coil is constructed or something, but it does seem to break the pattern . I will say the 1.6 coil I tried did last a lot longer than any other coil I've ever used, but maybe that is because the wattage is so low.
agree your post makes perfect sence but back in the day with only 1 or 2 tanks out there i dont think much notice was taken about ohms. i always found the 1.6 a bit pants but the 1.8 im still using today.

I've still got several unopened packs of the 1.6 ohm Nautilus coils that I bought in 2016 before TPD came into force. They may be old but as they're still sealed I can't see any reason why they wouldn't still be fine. There must be at least a dozen packs so if someone will use them I'm happy to offer them as a free giveaway if one of you would like them.

As has been said it is odd but just use the one you prefer. Both have been around for yonks, I never noticed too much difference between them but preferred the 1.6. I now use the 1.0ohm which is rated at 13-15 watts but run it at 9 watts, it easily outlasts the 1.6 and 1.8.

Back
Top Bottom