What's new

Best wicking cotton to use

I use Boots cotton all the time now despite having Cotton candy, Cotton Bacon Prime, Fuzz Cotton and Muji and Boots Cosmetic Cotton Balls are better for me than all of the ones i have but i suspect cotton is like juice and subjective,

I used the pleated stuff. Same stuff in a different form. I found it wouldn't pull through a coil as well and the flavour seems to go off quicker. But as you say it is a very personal thing.

As everyone agrees, it's a very personal thing and you will only find out what works best if you try different things.
- Rayon (also called viscose) is really good at wicking, lasts a long time and is one of the easiest wicks to swap flavors without the previous flavor lingering on. Personally I find it gives an off taste that I can't bear... but I'm no reference. It needs a bit of a different wicking method (stuff it more than cotton until you hear it squeek inside your coil).
- Muji are Japanese organic cotton pads. They're cheap, have decent flavor and wick well enough for most purposes. They're a little cheaper than Koh Gen Doh and lack in every aspect to KGD just ever so slightly.
- Puffs are also well known and very cheap organic cotton pads and used by A LOT of people, used to be the favorite of DJLsb vapes until he got sponsored by COTN.
- Hemp is a favorite too. It's organic, resistant to a lot of heat, upper end for flavor (once you pass the earthy but not bad break-in) and like rayon, doesn't keep flavor lingering.
- Cotton Bacon (v2 and Prime) are real favorites among vapers because it barely has any break-in and is extremely easy to work with. You're going to pay through your nose (in comparison with all of the above) for the brand name though. That being said, it's still cheap in comparison with the rest of vape consumables. Personally I think it mutes flavors a bit when the wick isn't very saturated. I'll use it in RTAs but not in an RDA.
- Plenty other brands like Kendo are popular too... I'd say get some sample packs and see what's best for you.

Don't forget there are other wick materials that aren't as common. metal mesh can be used as a wick, you'll see some old posts about silica (don't use that, health warning). I'd say stick with organic cotton, hemp and rayon to try out what works for you and when you're more advanced, read up and learn about what's all out there, you can try something else should you feel the need to.

All wicks will have a slight break-in time. There are methods that you can reduce it a bit, like washing your wicks in vodka and let them dry out before use, but it's not a necessity. Most wicks will get through the break-in within a few puffs or a few ml of liquid. If you don't want to waste expensive premium liquids on that break-in, just use plain VG or opt for a cotton that gives you the least break-in time.
Break-in also depends on how you wick your coils. The more you stuff your coils, the longer the break-in... but stuffing your coils does have some other advantages. You just have to try different materials, different brands and different methods to see what works best for you and your atty (different atties can require different methods/materials for per your preference).

Back
Top Bottom