What's new

Cloud Chasing/Sub Ohming for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that wiring using 14AWG silicon insulated Raguri?

I was worrying whether wiring might be an issue on my box mods, but so far I've only had one problem of heat buildup being an annoyance where the shit soldering of the 14AWG wires onto the mosfet(as the mosfets are so fecking tiny)would melt. I fixed this simply by doing a proper job of soldering, then slid a tiny piece of silicon tube over the top of the leg so if it did get hot again it was less likely to detach from the joint.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Was that wiring using 14AWG silicon insulated Raguri?

I was worrying whether wiring might be an issue on my box mods, but so far I've only had one problem of heat buildup being an annoyance where the shit soldering of the 14AWG wires onto the mosfet(as the mosfets are so fecking tiny)would melt. I fixed this simply by doing a proper job of soldering, then slid a tiny piece of silicon tube over the top of the leg so if it did get hot again it was less likely to detach from the joint.

.... I'd be running a 0.08 build if I did it ;)

Was that wiring using 14AWG silicon insulated @Raguri?

Heatsink those fets

sparkyjuice oh how I wish I could as these mosfets are so bloody small that they amaze me how the hell they manage to carry 80 amps. I do intend to mount them on a breadboard type setup when I finally build a vv version, this will make heatsinking a little easier.

sparkyjuice oh how I wish I could as these mosfets are so bloody small that they amaze me how the hell they manage to carry 80 amps. I do intend to mount them on a breadboard type setup when I finally build a vv version, this will make heatsinking a little easier.

Have you thought of using uninsulated crimps then filling them with solder? That was a trick we were shown at college for prototyping high current FET circuits. That was over 20 years ago.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

@sparkyjuice oh how I wish I could as these mosfets are so bloody small that they amaze me how the hell they manage to carry 80 amps. I do intend to mount them on a breadboard type setup when I finally build a vv version, this will make heatsinking a little easier.

look at datasheet if -ve and metalwork is common then stick to case or piece of ali via heatsink compound
if you do PWM don't forget flywheel diode across output
all you need is variable mark/space ratio circuit firing mosfet via pot.
you are halfway there

blademansw I was forced to resign from my apprenticeship in 1980(electrician)after just 6 months which was no biggie as the theory was going straight over my head, I had requested swapping to fitter/turner but this wasn't possible so I resorted to skipping college and going to the pub and getting severely plastered 3 times a fortnight instead.
sparkyjuice I have a couple of tubes of heatsink compound and neither hardens enough to make a solid enough mating that would withstand the 14AWG springiness. I actually had a thought of using a small piece of such as old bean tin to crimp onto the mosfet as the heat created isn't all that great at the moment(as long as I do a decent soldering job)with my preferred ohm coils. No doubt if I were to build vv into it, there'd be a need with higher powers but at 50/60 watts, the soldering holds as long as I ensure the full length of the mosfet leg is soldered to the 14AWG. It can/does look ugly but works atm, and only needs the chunk of silicon tube to make bloody sure it doesn't contact the other legs. I have had a short in the 510's that just blew the mosfet or resistor, rather than the short being applied to the lipo pack and the resultant"fireworks"of that:P

Doesn't matter how ugly it looks, as long as it works :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

@blademansw I was forced to resign from my apprenticeship in 1980(electrician)after just 6 months which was no biggie as the theory was going straight over my head, I had requested swapping to fitter/turner but this wasn't possible so I resorted to skipping college and going to the pub and getting severely plastered 3 times a fortnight instead.
@sparkyjuice I have a couple of tubes of heatsink compound and neither hardens enough to make a solid enough mating that would withstand the 14AWG springiness. I actually had a thought of using a small piece of such as old bean tin to crimp onto the mosfet as the heat created isn't all that great at the moment(as long as I do a decent soldering job)with my preferred ohm coils. No doubt if I were to build vv into it, there'd be a need with higher powers but at 50/60 watts, the soldering holds as long as I ensure the full length of the mosfet leg is soldered to the 14AWG. It can/does look ugly but works atm, and only needs the chunk of silicon tube to make bloody sure it doesn't contact the other legs. I have had a short in the 510's that just blew the mosfet or resistor, rather than the short being applied to the lipo pack and the resultant"fireworks"of that:P

all good. looking at 250W plus on my build with resident loony....luckily mech. build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom