What's new

Daniel Hannan MEP speaks out on ecigs and corporatism

Mark

Legend
Spot on

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...he-eu-and-how-we-are-governed-by-corporatism/

How is state’s cold fist to be uncurled from the economy? What has to happen for personal liberty, free enterprise and innovation to flourish? Here’s an idea: how about nothing at all?
Government regulation it is forever playing catch-up. Directives, unless updated and renewed, become decrepit. Who cares, these days, about the laws controlling the manufacture and use of telegraphs or hansom cabs? Simply by screwing tight the legislative tap, we allow the private sector to outgrow the state – as happened in Belgium, which enjoyed unexpectedly strong growth as a consequence of going for nearly two years without a government.
Belgium, sadly, was the exception. Most places have cohorts of civil servants and ministers scanning the horizon for any new technology that has somehow escaped their notice. One example will serve to illustrate the problem.
Electronic cigarettes are a new invention. Instead of smoking tobacco, the user inhales a mixture of water and nicotine; instead of breathing out smoke, she breathes out vapour.
Are e-cigarettes bad for you? Yes, in the same way that half a bottle of Mersault is bad for you. But, if you were previously smoking actual cigarettes, they are unambiguously good news: the toxic mixture of combustibles with which you were previously coating your lungs and throat is replaced by a single mildly deleterious drug. For those who have tried and failed to quit smoking, e-cigarettes could be life-saving.
Here, in short, is the market working as it should. Someone has come up with a product for which there is demand, and is offering a service where none existed before. That’s the process that lifted humanity from the diseased and precarious autarky of the Stone Age to the extraordinary wealth of our own era. But it fills our rulers with horror.
I’ve observed before that, to the Eurocrat, ‘unregulated’ and ‘illegal’ are virtually synonymous. Brussels officials were scandalised at the idea that a new product was being sold without licence. First, they tried to bring it within the scope of their tobacco regulations, but that proved difficult, since the product contained no tobacco. Then they tried to classify it as a health product – which is stretching things a bit, since no one is trying to claim that smoking e-cigarettes is healthier than not smoking anything. The one thing that has not been contemplated is leaving e-cigarettes covered only by the general rules on consumer protection.
Now here’s the sinister bit. You might think that tobacco companies would lobby against more unnecessary restrictions. And indeed, most of those that sell e-cigarettes are unhappy – though, naturally, those that make only traditional cigarettes are delighted. But there’s an exception: one tobacco giant is strongly pushing for the adoption of stringent rules on e-cigarettes. Why? Because it happens to match those standards anyway, and sees the opportunity to place its rivals under a competitive disadvantage. Thus we see a familiar corporatist coalition taking shape: state-funded (and EU-funded) lobby groups line up alongside multi-national companies to restrict consumer choice.
If you think I’m laying this on a bit thick, ask yourself why the EU simultaneously funds tobacco growers and anti-smoking campaigners. The answer, of course, is that it aims to draw both groups into the Brussels nexus, encouraging them to invest in lobbying and making them dependent on the system. The people who are supposed to stand up for the citizen against these lobbies are, in theory, MEPs. The trouble is – see speech below – they always and everywhere favour ‘more Europe’. It’s a racket, and no one has any incentive to break it.

Thats an excellent article, he is actually one of my MEP's and I got a similar response when I emailed him. Sounds like he's definitely on our side.

He's one of my MEPs too, and I posted his reply to my letter in the MEP thread, which was much less strongly worded. Hopefully our letters have influenced him to research e-cigs a bit and come to these conclusions.

He's one of my MEPs too, and I posted his reply to my letter in the MEP thread, which was much less strongly worded. Hopefully our letters have influenced him to research e-cigs a bit and come to these conclusions.

That is interesting, this is what he said to me yesterday.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can only confirm that I am completely against a ban on electronic cigarettes.

I am also against the EU to regulate this at all. Questions of this kind ought to be determined through our national democratic mechanisms.

Yours sincerely,
Daniel Hannan MEP

Short but definitive. Sounds like he has changed his opinion a bit, shows were are getting our point across.

I'm all for libertarionism (if that's even a word), but the tories have a track record of being bedfellows with big tobacco so I don't trust the motivations cited... how many current and former tory politicians have sinecures with big tobacco companies?

So on one side we have the tories in bed with big tobacco, on another side we have the nannying control freaks called new labour, the lib dems are a damp squib of unfulfilled promises and opportunism, UKIP? swivel eyed loons who are even bigger opportunists than the lib dems, BNP? don't even go there and green party are rampant nanny naysayers too.

In short, they're all a shower of $hite and none of them are to be trusted.

I reckon we need a revolution. A bloodless coup to switch focus away from personal advancement and greed (who really NEEDS to be a billionaire to live a comfortable life) and a move towards resource management and allocation (as in we have x amount of a certain commodity and the fairest and most efficient use of it would be to [insert answer here] ).

Trouble is, the ones with all the money have all the power (which is what the monetary system is all about.. empowering the rich and disempowering the poor so they can be controlled and manipulated). The chances of any coup being bloodless though, are slim and given human nature, there are plenty of people who are willing to get their hands bloodied to maintain the status quo if it means they can get some more cash and perpetuate the bull$hit.

We're all feckin doomed... unless you're worth a few bob, then you'll probably be all right if you're prepared to turn a blind eye to tyranny and oppression ( a nice new ferrari or a month in the maldives in a 5 star luxury hotel should take your mind of that).

/rant mode off... if anyone wants me, I'll be under my desk wearing my tinfoil hat.

Ah yes. I don't 'trust' them either. Problem is they DO have power, loathe the fact but its true, and I don't give a shit what their motives are if it means a decision affecting lives gets changed. So for now, apolitical (is that a word?)though I've become ... I'm true blue...no ...yellow..no....yes ;)

Back
Top Bottom