What's new

COP 10

Need to wait n see, but I suspect spongebob's slush puppy skittles are in danger:)
I must admit I fear the worse.. once you start banning any flavours, it's a slippery slope...

At least they do acknowledge from their own report -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...our-new-plan-to-create-a-smokefree-generation
The use of flavoured vapes in smokers has also increased. In 2015, most adults who vaped used tobacco flavour. However, in recent years there has been a shift, and in 2023 more adults are choosing fruit flavours (47%), as well as mint and menthol (17%), and tobacco (12%).
There is evidence that flavoured vaping products can assist quitting smoking.
Flavourings may also encourage daily use. Among smokers not intending to quit, daily use is strongly associated with subsequent smoking cessation, but among young people, daily use may be associated with a greater risk of subsequent dependence.
So how the hell are they supposed to find the right balance between smokers quitting and "protect the children"... ?

More from the government about it here -
Youth vaping call for evidence analysis
https://www.gov.uk/government/calls...tcome/youth-vaping-call-for-evidence-analysis
(This does waffle on a bit though.. it feels like they have made it long & boring to give the impression they have done a thorough job... o_O)

I must admit I fear the worse.. once you start banning any flavours, it's a slippery slope...

At least they do acknowledge from their own report -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...our-new-plan-to-create-a-smokefree-generation

So how the hell are they supposed to find the right balance between smokers quitting and "protect the children"... ?

More from the government about it here -
Youth vaping call for evidence analysis
https://www.gov.uk/government/calls...tcome/youth-vaping-call-for-evidence-analysis
(This does waffle on a bit though.. it feels like they have made it long & boring to give the impression they have done a thorough job... o_O)

i think @Rickster is right, you’ll still get raspberry, or apple, but blue slushie, “stickles” and that sort of shite will be a goner.

don’t know how it will be able to apply to shortfills, though.

i think @Rickster is right, you’ll still get raspberry, or apple, but blue slushie, “stickles” and that sort of shite will be a goner.
don’t know how it will be able to apply to shortfills, though.
I don't know how it would be able to apply to anything really...

e.g. (I know this is pure conjecture) but would Skittles flavour be allowed as long as described as some kind of mixed fruit sweet, or would anything tasting of Skittles be banned... ?

There would also have to be a new branch of Trading Standards - the Flavour Police! :eek:

e.g. (I know this is pure conjecture) but would Skittles flavour be allowed as long as described as some kind of mixed fruit sweet, or would anything tasting of Skittles be banned... ?

There would also have to be a new branch of Trading Standards - the Flavour Police! :eek:

exactly, i think it’s unlikely they’d have a team of testers puffing vapes to work out if vendors are passing off blue slushy as some regular fruit flavour. i guess it will be focused more on names and packaging designs.

exactly, i think it’s unlikely they’d have a team of testers puffing vapes to work out if vendors are passing off blue slushy as some regular fruit flavour. i guess it will be focused more on names and packaging designs.
And there was me wondering what the hell blue slushy is actually supposed to taste of.. I actually remember googling it once...

https://www.snowshock.com/why-is-raspberry-flavoured-slush-blue/
Blue slush dates all the way back to 1974, and there’s a very simple reason behind it. Raspberry flavoured slush is blue to distinguish it from the strawberry/cherry flavour!
And it wasn’t an easy colour to come by. With some obvious exceptions like blueberries, blue is rare shade in nature. However, the dye was eventually developed in the mid-20th century, and was given the name Brilliant Blue – a colour that is still used today to give slush lovers the signature blue tongue!
What about the flavour? Well that usually comes from the Whitebark Raspberry, a native to western North America states such as California and Arizona, and was discovered as a great flavour for sweets at around the same time as Brilliant Blue was created. It was as if they were meant to be!
So now you know. There is no such thing as a blue raspberry – even though many sweet manufacturers have also adopted blue for their own raspberry flavoured products.
/
It never tasted like raspberry to me...

I dunno, but with sensible flavour names and packaging I think flavours should be ok....flavoured gin, vodka, rum and the like are acceptable as only really targeted at adults.

I dunno, but with sensible flavour names and packaging I think flavours should be ok....flavoured gin, vodka, rum and the like are acceptable as only really targeted at adults.
Well for those outraged over teens drinking alcopops (whenever it was).. their new villain in town these days are vapes with flavours, esp. disposables...

yes, but they are all over the place because sunak says he wants to ban “child friendly” flavours, whatever he means by this.

True and many adults like what can be referred to as 'child friendly' flavours. Of all the WHO's proposals the one to oppose the most is the 'closed systems' only.

EU bureaucrats plotting to use WHO treaty to sideline European Parliament on tobacco harm reduction
https://clivebates.com/eu-bureaucra...uropean-parliament-on-tobacco-harm-reduction/
The Commission is trying to use the forthcoming FCTC COP-10 meeting to endorse anti-harm-reduction measures and to evade democratic scrutiny.
Leaked documents show that the bureaucrats of the European Commission and European Council are secretively working together to use the WHO tobacco treaty to bounce the European Parliament and their own legislatures into hostile positions on vapes, pouches and heated tobacco products. They are evading democratic scrutiny and ignoring the health and well-being of millions of Europeans who have quit smoking with these much safer smoke-free nicotine products – and many more smokers for whom this is still an opportunity.
They will exploit the poor scrutiny and accountability of the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control 10th Conference of the Parties (COP-10) meeting to endorse the extreme positions favoured by the WHO. Then they will be able to present these as requirements of international law that must be implemented by the European Union.
It’s a stitch-up. They aim to side-step Parliamentary and public scrutiny and settle it all in the closed groupthink bubble of COP-10 in Panama, in the final weeks of November. Then hand the European Parliament and European public a fait acomplis.

According to the New Nicotine Alliance "Decisions are made on consensus, not by voting, so if no objections are received the proposals will be approved. Parties who attend are expected to incorporate the decisions into their national laws. The treaty is legally binding so if a country does not abide by decisions at the meeting, political weight will be on politicians to do so because attendance is taken as agreement with the consensus."

One can only hope objections are received and in particular from the UK.

Back
Top Bottom