What's new

WHO Boss Lies About Vaping

Don't get me wrong, I really like Noam, and he makes a lot of sense. But folk like Carlin stand a better chance of getting through to the average person IMO. His lack of depth could be a strength.
Hehe, I know… it was mostly a comment on the quote he/she chose in the article, and a bit of a rant against the dumbing down of our society ;) Comedy is an excellent way to educate, so I agree with you.

George Carlin was one of my heroes, even saw him live in Hollywood. I guess Russel Brand is the closest we have now :18:

giphy.gif

Kind of off on a tangent here but... to my mind, the trouble with Chomsky is that his work is written for intellectuals and the academically inclined, the majority of which (and certainly the type who would read his work) already have a reasonable understanding of what is going on.

What I like about Carlin is that he's entertaining and easily digestible by those who don't have the time, energy or will to devour 300 page essays.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Noam, and he makes a lot of sense. But folk like Carlin stand a better chance of getting through to the average person IMO. His lack of depth could be a strength.

interestingly, chomsky’s always been critical of the french/european intellectuals for exactly this reason. which makes me think he himself must think of his own work as quite accessible.

To continue the tangent…Chomsky is an academic himself, and therefore looks down from his ivory tower. He has never quite managed to reach the American public, other than as a ridiculed symbol for radicalism. But A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn is certainly on a level that anyone can understand, and that hasn’t exactly helped, either :11:

And I do mean dumbing down! Read some Mark Twain to see how rich a vocabulary average Americans had just a century ago. But the best consumer is a stupid consumer, and the best voter is an easily manipulated one :17:

To continue the tangent…Chomsky is an academic himself, and therefore looks down from his ivory tower. He has never quite managed to reach the American public, other than as a ridiculed symbol for radicalism. But A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn is certainly on a level that anyone can understand, and that hasn’t exactly helped, either :11:

:)

I've never read Zinn actually, but I think he's pretty well known. Didn't they try and ban him from school curriculums or libraries or something?

A favourite of mine in Greg Palast. He's less a historian, and more a PI (Vulture Funds, election fraud in the US, Blair being in bed with Murdoch) but I find his style very entertaining.

More lies.. and also secrets...
#COP10 documents guide: FCTC/COP/10/7
https://copwatch.info/cop10-documents-guide-fctc-cop-10-7/
FCTC/COP/10/7 also contains a section on nicotine pouches (page 16), which do not produce smoke and are not made from tobacco. The FCTC objective states clearly in Article 3 that its purpose is to reduce consequences and prevalence of “tobacco use and exposure to tobacco smoke” so this focus on pouches is mission creep unwarranted by the terms of the WHO’s own treaty.

The WHO worries that pouches “have attractive properties, such as appealing flavours, and can be used discretely (sic) without the stigma of smoking”. It reports that its TobReg study group has “made a number of recommendations to policy makers and all other interested parties” which can be found “in Chapter 4 and Chapter 7 (Overall Recommendations) of TobReg’s Ninth report.”

Do not Google for that, though, as it has been published for all “interested parties” except the public who pay for the WHO through our taxes. A secret document, about a product which is not covered by the FCTC treaty, being shared with people who, if they were doing their job correctly, should be telling the WHO that nicotine pouches are none of their business at COP10.

Back
Top Bottom