What's new

decades of covid

If i increase 1 by 30% i get 1.3 but is this the question?
Yes, because we are talking about an increase in rate, a calculation of things *per* thing. If you express that increase as a percentage, it's the only way to do it.

Say you had are listening to dance music that has a tempo of 100 beats per minute. A track that was 20% faster would be at 120 beats per minute.

So a death rate of 10 per 1000 increasing to 13 per 1000 is a 30% increase.

If it reaches 30 per 1000, it would be a 200% increase from when it was 10 per 1000.

A 200% increase sounds scary. That's because 3 times as many people are dying - which *is* scary.

The problem we have is that if people don't understand how statistics work, they shouldn't be making any judgements based on that lack of understanding.

Yes, because we are talking about an increase in rate, a calculation of things *per* thing. If you express that increase as a percentage, it's the only way to do it.

Say you had are listening to dance music that has a tempo of 100 beats per minute. A track that was 20% faster would be at 120 beats per minute.

So a death rate of 10 per 1000 increasing to 13 per 1000 is a 30% increase.

If it reaches 30 per 1000, it would be a 200% increase from when it was 10 per 1000.

A 200% increase sounds scary. That's because 3 times as many people are dying - which *is* scary.

The problem we have is that if people don't understand how statistics work, they shouldn't be making any judgements based on that lack of understanding.
Can you see where @Sacred Vape is going wrong and explain it simply so he can rest easy?

I don't know what to say.

I mean, if I mix in koolada into my juice recipe at a strength of 1% of the mix, and I want twice the amount of cooling, 100% more cooling, my next mix would contain koolada at 2%.
I see what you did there! :clapping:

Mortality in that age group has only increased by .3% because 13 out of 1000 is only 1.3%. to increase it by 30% you lower the out of number which means the ratio isn't the same or you increase it by 290.

You’re getting muddled. The increase is NOT 30% of the 1000, it’s 30% of 1.

Last edited:
That was my answer earlier.
You bloody plagiarist ............................
With thanks to Tom Lehrer: :D

Plagiarize
Let no one else's work evade your eyes
Remember why the good Lord made your eyes
So don't shade your eyes
But plagiarize, plagiarize, plagiarize
Only be sure always to call it please 'research'

Back
Top Bottom