What's new

Does anyone know why charging ports have been moved to the top of some mods?

can i assume you lot take the batteries out your phones and charge them in an external charger? ffs man, dinosaurs :)

I only use an external charger if my batteries have depleted and I want to swap them out for fresh ones immediately, or if they were used in a mech. Otherwise I'm happy to charge them while still inside the mod. That said, I wouldn't do so with a mod where the charging port is susceptible to juice ingress.

Just a thought but if you have juice leaking you have a problem with the tank and it is just as likely to get into the mod via the 510 connection as it via a usb port on the top.

As I said previously, they exist on the top of some mods as people complained they didn't like laying mods on the side to charge when ports were mostlyon the base. Some companies put the port on the front under the screen and buttons. That's the ideal location IMO.

@Netvaper raises a very valid point though, a leaking tank is no fault of a mod, regardless of where the port is located.

Going back to the internal/external charging question...

Sure juice leaks ARE caused by the tank and the mod isn't to blame - but ingress of liquid that coats the board and fries/shorts out the components so it is the mod that gets damaged - after you clean up the tank and change the leaky coil/rewick/rebuild/change the knackered o ring the tank will be fine - you can't say the same for the mod.

Tanks heat up and cool down constantly - this is a recipe for condensation, this condensation frequently gets trapped under the tank and gets into the 510. The 510 has a poxy cheap neoprene/rubber whatever seal that is constantly getting hot and cooling. This same poxy cheap seal is used on a device that is made to the lowest possible price and sold with the shortest warranty possible - 3 months seems to be the average. Most vape shops will offer to exchange/refund for ONE MONTH - after that it is a case of taking your chances with China.

Battery chargers are built to do ONE JOB, unless you buy a two quid special from poundland, a car boot sale or some obscure cheap site you will be buying a product with higher quality components that haven't been added as an afterthought. Single purpoose tools tend to be of good quality and last for years - multi purpose tools tend to be a bit shit and have a short service life.

You don't have to trust a battery charger to balance charge using cheap shit circuitry as decent ones have a separate charging circuit for each bay. Once a battery is full the charge is cut - with 'balanced charging' if one cell reaches full charge before the other the circuit will continue to send a very low 'trickle' to the full cell. A mod that is capable of 3 Amp charging cannot be adjusted to send less than 3 Amps to the cell - most people who charge batteries don't bother reading the specs of the batteries because it is boring, or they simply don't know that different cells have different recommended standard charge rates or what happens when you habitually fast charge..

I know - batteries are cheap. If they only get 100 cycles instead of 2 to 300 it's no big deal. Nobody bothers to keep track of how many charges they've had or how hard they've been pushed by being vaped at high wattages because it's easier to just replace them when they can't give enough run time - but tired batteries have tired, very thin, internal anode and cathode sheets and internal leakage causing accelerated self discharge. Fast charging them causes localised hot spots in these damaged areas inside the batteries - if your batteries feel warm when you pull them off a charger they will be HOT on the inside, when they are well past their best they may be uncomfortably warm when they come off the charger - you will quickly notice this when using an external charger. Who takes the batteries out of a mod to check them after charging - if you have a problem with any damaged cell you won't know about overheating unless the mod gets uncomfortably warm - by which time the batteries will be as hot as the sun.

Battery chargers will never suffer from juice ingress and you don't ever take them outdoors in the rain.

'A point was made earlier that you charge phones internally. Yes you do, but they don't suffer from juice ingress or pooling condensation either.

If mods are so much more reliable these days - you would think the vape manufacturers would be willing to provide a 12 month warranty that seems to be standard for all other electrical devices. For some reason manufacturers haven't the confidence in their products - maybe it's because they know the quality of the components they use lol.

@oddney cocks I think @JohnNada is right, as to the reason why. It's still stupid though. It's not the mods fault that the tank leaks, but tanks ARE prone to leaking so knowing that it seems like a dumb decision to me.

I have had a couple of batteries go kaput on me (hot, smoking) in my vaping life, about 8 years. So even though you *should* be able to charge.via the usb port of a mod, it's still wise to avoid it and be over cautious IMHO.

Regarding internal phone charging... don't forget the galaxy note explosion fiasco, and that's Samsung, I can't imagine smok QC is up to that standard.

@oddney cocks I think @JohnNada is right, as to the reason why. It's still stupid though. It's not the mods fault that the tank leaks, but tanks ARE prone to leaking so knowing that it seems like a dumb decision to me.

I have had a couple of batteries go kaput on me (hot, smoking) in my vaping life, about 8 years. So even though you *should* be able to charge.via the usb port of a mod, it's still wise to avoid it and be over cautious IMHO.

Regarding internal phone charging... don't forget the galaxy note explosion fiasco, and that's Samsung, I can't imagine smok QC is up to that standard.
Yet i know plenty of folk that go to sleep with their phone and mod charging next to them, even though i've explained why they shouldn't. Darwinism at its best.

Going back to the internal/external charging question...

Sure juice leaks ARE caused by the tank and the mod isn't to blame - but ingress of liquid that coats the board and fries/shorts out the components so it is the mod that gets damaged - after you clean up the tank and change the leaky coil/rewick/rebuild/change the knackered o ring the tank will be fine - you can't say the same for the mod.

Tanks heat up and cool down constantly - this is a recipe for condensation, this condensation frequently gets trapped under the tank and gets into the 510. The 510 has a poxy cheap neoprene/rubber whatever seal that is constantly getting hot and cooling. This same poxy cheap seal is used on a device that is made to the lowest possible price and sold with the shortest warranty possible - 3 months seems to be the average. Most vape shops will offer to exchange/refund for ONE MONTH - after that it is a case of taking your chances with China.

Battery chargers are built to do ONE JOB, unless you buy a two quid special from poundland, a car boot sale or some obscure cheap site you will be buying a product with higher quality components that haven't been added as an afterthought. Single purpoose tools tend to be of good quality and last for years - multi purpose tools tend to be a bit shit and have a short service life.

You don't have to trust a battery charger to balance charge using cheap shit circuitry as decent ones have a separate charging circuit for each bay. Once a battery is full the charge is cut - with 'balanced charging' if one cell reaches full charge before the other the circuit will continue to send a very low 'trickle' to the full cell. A mod that is capable of 3 Amp charging cannot be adjusted to send less than 3 Amps to the cell - most people who charge batteries don't bother reading the specs of the batteries because it is boring, or they simply don't know that different cells have different recommended standard charge rates or what happens when you habitually fast charge..

I know - batteries are cheap. If they only get 100 cycles instead of 2 to 300 it's no big deal. Nobody bothers to keep track of how many charges they've had or how hard they've been pushed by being vaped at high wattages because it's easier to just replace them when they can't give enough run time - but tired batteries have tired, very thin, internal anode and cathode sheets and internal leakage causing accelerated self discharge. Fast charging them causes localised hot spots in these damaged areas inside the batteries - if your batteries feel warm when you pull them off a charger they will be HOT on the inside, when they are well past their best they may be uncomfortably warm when they come off the charger - you will quickly notice this when using an external charger. Who takes the batteries out of a mod to check them after charging - if you have a problem with any damaged cell you won't know about overheating unless the mod gets uncomfortably warm - by which time the batteries will be as hot as the sun.

Battery chargers will never suffer from juice ingress and you don't ever take them outdoors in the rain.

'A point was made earlier that you charge phones internally. Yes you do, but they don't suffer from juice ingress or pooling condensation either.

If mods are so much more reliable these days - you would think the vape manufacturers would be willing to provide a 12 month warranty that seems to be standard for all other electrical devices. For some reason manufacturers haven't the confidence in their products - maybe it's because they know the quality of the components they use lol.

most of this applies to people with multiple battery devices and high power cloud tanks. none of the tanks i use ever leak or create condensation.

and on the subject of phones, they don’t get eliquid leaked into them, no, but people do use them in the rain, drop them in a pint or down the bog, spill a cup of juice over them etc. same applies to laptops, tablets and the wide variety of other devices with batteries in them that you are supposed to charge by plugging them into a usb cable.

do you not have any mods with internal batteries?

most of this applies to people with multiple battery devices and high power cloud tanks. none of the tanks i use ever leak or create condensation.

and on the subject of phones, they don’t get eliquid leaked into them, no, but people do use them in the rain, drop them in a pint or down the bog, spill a cup of juice over them etc. same applies to laptops, tablets and the wide variety of other devices with batteries in them that you are supposed to charge by plugging them into a usb cable.

do you not have any mods with internal batteries?

And how may of these laptops, phones that have beer spilt on them, dropped in the bog etc go belly up BECAUSE some dopy fuktard did it. the last time i dumped a cup of coffee over my laptop it didn't go well - just because it has an internal battery that is charged via a lead means it's OK to have accidents with it.

My point is that phones etc don't have a tank that can leak full of viscous liquid that constantly heats and cools screwed into them - and phones etc do have longer warranties so just could be buiit to different standards

I've hear your 'my MTL tanks don't suffer from condensation and if I did vape DL, which I don't, the tanks wouldn't have condensation either' speech before - and was really impressed by it and really believe you, but many, many people do vape high wattage DL and do experience condensation under their tanks because they live in parts of the world where condensation hasn't been outlawed.

I've had a couple of mods with internal batteries that I binned when the lipo became 'interesting'. I have one surviving lipo mod that I limit the charge rate by using a 1 amp power supply because using the standard rate of 2.5 amps of the board makes the mod warm which I'm not comfortable with - I only use it for MTL as it is obviously on it's last legs. I have no qualms about vaping any of my other mods at high wattages, regardless of age, because they aren't being used with tired batteries - but sourcing and changing lipos would be more hassle than it's worth. I won't be buying any more internal battery mods as I find it more convenient to swap out a low battery with a pre-charged replacement, don't have to monitor the charge level if I'm not likely to use it for an extended period and, as I do frequently vape high wattage DL, like to choose the cells as they will used for high power vaping occasionally and don't want to trust a mystery budget lipo - but each to their own and all that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom