What's new

Does anyone know why charging ports have been moved to the top of some mods?

And how may of these laptops, phones that have beer spilt on them, dropped in the bog etc go belly up BECAUSE some dopy fuktard did it. the last time i dumped a cup of coffee over my laptop it didn't go well - just because it has an internal battery that is charged via a lead means it's OK to have accidents with it.

My point is that phones etc don't have a tank that can leak full of viscous liquid that constantly heats and cools screwed into them - and phones etc do have longer warranties so just could be buiit to different standards

I've hear your 'my MTL tanks don't suffer from condensation and if I did vape DL, which I don't, the tanks wouldn't have condensation either' speech before - and was really impressed by it and really believe you, but many, many people do vape high wattage DL and do experience condensation under their tanks because they live in parts of the world where condensation hasn't been outlawed.

I've had a couple of mods with internal batteries that I binned when the lipo became 'interesting'. I have one surviving lipo mod that I limit the charge rate by using a 1 amp power supply because using the standard rate of 2.5 amps of the board makes the mod warm which I'm not comfortable with - I only use it for MTL as it is obviously on it's last legs. I have no qualms about vaping any of my other mods at high wattages, regardless of age, because they aren't being used with tired batteries - but sourcing and changing lipos would be more hassle than it's worth. I won't be buying any more internal battery mods as I find it more convenient to swap out a low battery with a pre-charged replacement, don't have to monitor the charge level if I'm not likely to use it for an extended period and, as I do frequently vape high wattage DL, like to choose the cells as they will used for high power vaping occasionally and don't want to trust a mystery budget lipo - but each to their own and all that.

aye, but see when you spilt coffee on your laptop, you tried it to see if it worked. and if it did you’d prob still be using it. and you have even been using internal battery mods yourself.

most of us are charging batteries inside devices all the time every day. speakers, lights, power banks, mods, laptops, tablets, phones, electric toothbrushes, power tools, electric cars etc. etc. i don’t think it’s as dangerous as you are making out.

the video @John R linked to is quite conclusive.

aye, but see when you spilt coffee on your laptop, you tried it to see if it worked. and if it did you’d prob still be using it. and you have even been using internal battery mods yourself.

most of us are charging batteries inside devices all the time every day. speakers, lights, power banks, mods, laptops, tablets, phones, electric toothbrushes, power tools, electric cars etc. etc. i don’t think it’s as dangerous as you are making out.

the video @John R linked to is quite conclusive.

IF you re-read the first post - my comments on internal v external battery charging were in response to the OP's comment of 'when external battery mods are getting better and better chips allowing use to use the charge port more' - I'm discussing potential cons of internal vs external charging as the OP mentioned boards getting better and better and I'm not convinced that the components used are of any higher quality, but 3 or 4 pages on it's easy to get distracted .

Yes I would still be using my computer if it hadn't fried after I dumped coffee on it, , but it did fry, so I don't and I'm struggling to figure out why you feel that is relevant

Yes we all charge various items with internal batteries - but we have no choice of how we charge them. I'm not claiming it is inherently dangerous - I'm listing potential cons of mod charging external batteries in a budget mod with minimal or no warranty - that unlike most other sealed battery electronic devices you routinely charge at home, may have e-liquid on the circuit board. Most electronic devices just crap out and stop working when things go wrong in my experience mods are no different - except my Wismec Luxotic Noisy Cricket that was autofiring when I walked into my living room one morning. It was fcn HOT and the 10 second safety cut off had obvioiusly shat the bed as the mod was hot to the touch - I threw it out of my window and left it till the batteries died.

It is potentially dangerous to charge any batteries regardless of which method you chose because accidents/shorts/electronic failures can happen, but it only becomes really dangerous if you leave them unattended while charging or decide go to bed and leave them to charge overnight . If you're present and things do go pear shaped you can intervene - if I'd been present when my Luxotic went belly up I could have yanked the batteries or unscrewed the mod. i wasn't but i got lucky and walked into my living room in time but similar shorts can happen when charging and this applies to mods AND external chargers.

However, I haven't mentioned the pro aspects of internal charging, here they are -

1. You don't have to buy a battery charger. as any adequately rated USB port will do the trick

Last edited:
IF you re-read the first post - my comments on internal v external battery charging were in response to the OP's comment of 'when external battery mods are getting better and better chips allowing use to use the charge port more' - I'm discussing potential cons of internal vs external charging as the OP mentioned boards getting better and better and I'm not convinced that the components used are of any higher quality, but 3 or 4 pages on it's easy to get distracted .

Yes I would still be using my computer if it hadn't fried after I dumped coffee on it, , but it did fry, so I don't and I'm struggling to figure out why you feel that is relevant

Yes we all charge various items with internal batteries - but we have no choice of how we charge them. I'm not claiming it is inherently dangerous - I'm listing potential cons of mod charging external batteries in a budget mod with minimal or no warranty - that unlike most other sealed battery electronic devices you routinely charge at home, may have e-liquid on the circuit board. Most electronic devices just crap out and stop working when things go wrong in my experience mods are no different - except my Wismec Luxotic Noisy Cricket that was autofiring when I walked into my living room one morning. It was fcn HOT and the 10 second safety cut off had obvioiusly shat the bed as the mod was hot to the touch - I threw it out of my window and left it till the batteries died.

It is potentially dangerous to charge any batteries regardless of which method you chose because accidents/shorts/electronic failures can happen, but it only becomes really dangerous if you leave them unattended while charging or decide go to bed and leave them to charge overnight . If you're present and things do go pear shaped you can intervene - if I'd been present when my Luxotic went belly up I could have yanked the batteries or unscrewed the mod. i wasn't but i got lucky and walked into my living room in time but similar shorts can happen when charging and this applies to mods AND external chargers.

However, I haven't mentioned the pro aspects of internal charging, here they are -

1. You don't have to buy a battery charger. as any adequately rated USB port will do the trick

that is all fair enough. for a few years i mostly exclusively used internal battery dna mods, and obvs charged them on usb. i don’t think charging in the mod is inherently any worse than using a charger. bear in mind i mostly use a charger these days and use a couple of mods that don’t have usb ports.

but i’ve used a big variety of internal and external (single battery) mods and charged all of them at one time or another with the usb, and never had a problem.

that is all fair enough. for a few years i mostly exclusively used internal battery dna mods, and obvs charged them on usb. i don’t think charging in the mod is inherently any worse than using a charger. bear in mind i mostly use a charger these days and use a couple of mods that don’t have usb ports.

but i’ve used a big variety of internal and external (single battery) mods and charged all of them at one time or another with the usb, and never had a problem.

Same here really.

Most pros and cons are speculative about what CAN happen, it doesn't mean they will - to most of us anyway. But after prattling on about potential problems with internal charging someone posted on here recently that they had a battery go nuclear on an external charger so nothing is 100%.

Some cunt in charge of charging point placement would be my best guess.

Same here really.

Most pros and cons are speculative about what CAN happen, it doesn't mean they will - to most of us anyway. But after prattling on about potential problems with internal charging someone posted on here recently that they had a battery go nuclear on an external charger so nothing is 100%.

yeah, honestly.... I've seen just as many chargers fail as I have mods. I think the most important thing is just not to leave them unattended, because both could burn your house down, but hopefully not if you are there and can grab a towel and lob it all outside, whether that's a mod or a battery charger.

The placement of charging ports on vape mods can vary depending on the design and vape manufacturer. While there isn't a singular definitive reason for moving charging ports to the top of some mods, there are a few possible explanations:
  1. Convenience: Maybe placing the charging port on the top of the mod can make it more accessible and convenient for users. It allows for easy plug-in and charging without having to lay the mod on its side or manipulate its position.
  2. Leak Prevention: By moving the charging port to the top, it helps reduce the risk of e-liquid leakage into the port. If the port is located at the bottom, there is a possibility of e-liquid seeping into the port when the mod is placed on a surface or if it accidentally falls over.
  3. Aesthetics and Design: The placement of the charging port can be influenced by the overall design and aesthetics of the mod. Manufacturers may opt to place it on the top to create a cleaner, more streamlined look or to accommodate other design elements on the sides or bottom of the device.
  4. Heat Dissipation: Some mods generate heat during charging, and placing the charging port on the top may help dissipate heat more effectively. Heat rises naturally, so having the port on the top can allow for better heat dissipation and prevent excessive heat buildup around the charging area.
It's important to note that the placement of charging ports can vary between different mod models and manufacturers, and there may be other reasons specific to individual designs. The charging ports of VPFIT's vaping devices are all located at bottom of the vape body.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom