What's new

Greater Anglia Trains ban ecigs

Thing is - it's not just the vapers that are so frustrated by society's rapidly growing hostility to the e-cig. My parents and other half are almost as militant as me about the issue, as they can see the enormous benefits of me using the e-cig instead of cigarettes.

Every new vaper must bring at least 4 non-smoking, non-vaping people with them to our side - logic says there won't be enough foolable people out there soon.

I assume that bar owner has banned kettles, the running of hot water and ensured that tea & coffee are served lukewarm.

Perhaps water should be banned - after all, it LOOKS like vodka....

I assume that bar owner has banned kettles, the running of hot water and ensured that tea & coffee are served lukewarm.

Perhaps water should be banned - after all, it LOOKS like vodka....

Precisely I couldn't of said it any better.

I have this issue about airlines banning them - their reasons are that:
1. Smokers may think someone is smoking and light up - well, no. If a smoker thought someone had lit up on a plane they'd think "wow, they're in trouble!"
2. Others may think someone is smoking and it may cause panic/alarm

Both situations, overstated as they are, can be easily remedied by making a small addition to the standard "smoking is not permitted anywhere on this flight" speech, such as "however, E-cigarettes are permitted throughout the flight (and can be purchased at over-inflated prices from our flight attendants)"

Where else do you find other people's ignorance and intolerance used as an excuse to ban a legal, inoffensive and harmless activity (I wouldn't mind so much if they'd pay equal regard to my intolerance of other people's badly behaved children on long haul flights, which I consider far more justified!)

<Both situations, overstated as they are, can be easily remedied by making a small addition to the standard "smoking is not permitted anywhere on this flight" speech, such as "however, E-cigarettes are permitted throughout the flight (and can be purchased at over-inflated prices from our flight attendants)">

Ryan air already have this in place.

I believe there has been an increase in violent behaviour on public transport and flights since the smoking ban due to nicotene withdrawal so you'd thing the operators would be glad of something that has the potential to keep their staff safer!

Didn't know where to put this so tacted it on here. Was at a wedding reception at a posh golf clubhouse yesterday. I went and sat in the smoking area for a vape to save on hassle, was only there for a min. or so when 3 smokers came over and asked if it was ok to sit with me. My reply was "well yes it is the smoking area". I then had to spend the next 30mins. giving out my limited knowledge (only been vaping a few weeks) and juice ration for them to try. Ended up with 12 people including 3 non-smokers robbing all me juice. They wiped out me coffee juice and flattened me battery. (good job I took spares). I'm still taken aback that they asked if they could us the smoking area. I did advise the non-smokers that the juice was nic'ed and that u can get non nic as well.

Ryan air already have this in place.

Exactly - There have been no reports of smokers lighting up as a result of seeing an e-cig in use - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if passenger compliance with the smoking laws has improved since e-cigs were officially approved on their flights.

The official reason of inciting smokers to light up is a red herring - they know this is not likely, but they have to be seen to be turning it back on smokers for the policy.

The sole reason is because some people might, wrongly, assume someone is smoking or that the exhaled vapour will harm them, and may become distressed. I can think of many irrational responses to benign products or activities - the difference is, most are met with derision and people's civil liberties are not restricted to please an irrational reaction to something harmless.

I suffer from Lactophobia - a genuine and extreme psychological (and physical) aversion to milk. I can't look at it or touch it - I can't watch crunchy nut cornflake adverts (you know, the ones where people throw the dreaded stuff all over themselves). OK - I know it's odd - and I know I have to function in a world full of milk. I don't expect the world to ban its use in public places to keep me happy.

The public response to e-cigs predominantly stems from certain factions being not so much anti-smoking, but anti-SMOKER.

bma.jpg

I was involved in a couple of threads on Trip Advisor last year on the issue - the reaction was astounding, and often quite offensive (though plenty of people totally supportive, many non-smokers). The primary objection was that they shouldn't have our drugs imposed on their air-space - completely confusing nicotine with smoke. Arguments about the particles of caffeine in the atmosphere fell on deaf ears.

There were also quite a few describing the desire to satisfy a nicotine habit as "pathetic" and suggested that I should give up travelling.

I tried to make the point that, though I could go 18 hours without nicotine, I preferred not to and saw no reason why, when it affects no-one else, I should - and that though I can also live without a games console and kindle on a flight, I'd rather not.

The response of the anti-SMOKER minority was surprisingly hostile and offensive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom