What's new

Has anyone seen these mods before?

The Calibre has found many fans I gather, but be aware, they have a habit of disliking certain brands of Batteries.

I have one and I do like using it...
The way it fires is you just push against the battery, seems to work well and fires everytime, I only use 25R's, vtc5a's and vtc5d's and they all seem to be fine.
The thing I don't like is the locking switch, it works by sliding a tab across to lock and unlock the mod but on mine it's pretty loose so it can move out of the lock position easily when in your pocket...
@tootingyoda and @Chris K both have one too...

Cheers for tag @gravystain

Caliber X2, had one for about... 6 months or so now. For a Delrin mod the price point is very good. Lock works a treat and battery fire feels pretty natural once you get used to it.

Downsides are they aren't the best put together... Lots of stories about of the bottom delrin plug under the positive battery dropping out, 510 nut has a "sweet spot", too tight it won't fire or too loose it won't fire, awkward to find exactly how tight to do it. Spring back plate for some reason isnt secured so can be easily lost (As @Huggett found out). Cleaning can be a pain as it's rather fiddley and if you have the copper contacts, needs cleaning fairly regularly.

I still use mine regularly though but I've had to make some adjustments to contacts so will fire every make of 18650 and made some adjustments to 510.

6/10....

All of what @Chris K is correct. I have one too, and I started to hate it at first. Now I've tweaked it a little, it's one of my 4 favourite mods (I have a lot), used for days on end.

I've had to re glue the silver coloured spring plate a few times, but it's held since using a dab of thicker CA gel, but I'll probably use a thin smearing of contact adhesive if it comes off again. I nearly lost the spring hidden behind the top contact when I first fully stripped it for cleaning, not a problem now I'm aware of it.

The copper contacts do tarnish quickly, but I use a fibreglass brush to clean only the 3 actual points of contact every so often, and buff all the copper with a dremmel when I can be bothered. I'm now waiting on the silver contacts I ordered to arrive, which should reduce the need to buff.

I did fix the delrin base plug to the copper strip using contact adhesive, but have since re glued it to the mod using a couple of dabs of CA.

I don't really have a problem with batteries, I mainly use VCT5a's though. Some wraps may cause a problem, but I think that's mainly down to how much metal is exposed at each end. I have mine negative touching to top contact, positive down, and I did rewrap a couple that only had a small area of negative exposed. That part of the battery moves the most when firing. Every now and again it'll fail to fire on me, easily rectified by simply rotating the battery a little, nothing more. I also use the fibreglass brush to clean my battery contacts too. Something that I suspect gets overlooked sometimes.

I think the only niggle I still have is the 510, especially the locking part loosening. As said, overtightening can break the contact between mod and some attys. My workaround is to only tighten the contact ring when a atty is attached, just enough to stop the lock free spinning. The 510 can also be adjusted from the top with an allen key too. I did consider switching to a MM 510, but there is a size difference that would mean altering things too much. MM have now released a smaller 510 unit, so I may strip it and re measure it all later today.

I know this all sounds a pain, and this mod isn't for those who like an out of the box faff free mod. If you like a fiddle (ooh matron) this mod is really easy to fettle, and a joy in the hand. The parts are all accessible for maintenance, though not as readily so as box types like the Runt etc. It's different, curvy, tiny, inexpensive, now reliable, I bloody love it.

If you managed to read all this, well done. If you need any help, just give a shout.

All of what @Chris K is correct. I have one too, and I started to hate it at first. Now I've tweaked it a little, it's one of my 4 favourite mods (I have a lot), used for days on end.

I've had to re glue the silver coloured spring plate a few times, but it's held since using a dab of thicker CA gel, but I'll probably use a thin smearing of contact adhesive if it comes off again. I nearly lost the spring hidden behind the top contact when I first fully stripped it for cleaning, not a problem now I'm aware of it.

The copper contacts do tarnish quickly, but I use a fibreglass brush to clean only the 3 actual points of contact every so often, and buff all the copper with a dremmel when I can be bothered. I'm now waiting on the silver contacts I ordered to arrive, which should reduce the need to buff.

I did fix the delrin base plug to the copper strip using contact adhesive, but have since re glued it to the mod using a couple of dabs of CA.

I don't really have a problem with batteries, I mainly use VCT5a's though. Some wraps may cause a problem, but I think that's mainly down to how much metal is exposed at each end. I have mine negative touching to top contact, positive down, and I did rewrap a couple that only had a small area of negative exposed. That part of the battery moves the most when firing. Every now and again it'll fail to fire on me, easily rectified by simply rotating the battery a little, nothing more. I also use the fibreglass brush to clean my battery contacts too. Something that I suspect gets overlooked sometimes.

I think the only niggle I still have is the 510, especially the locking part loosening. As said, overtightening can break the contact between mod and some attys. My workaround is to only tighten the contact ring when a atty is attached, just enough to stop the lock free spinning. The 510 can also be adjusted from the top with an allen key too. I did consider switching to a MM 510, but there is a size difference that would mean altering things too much. MM have now released a smaller 510 unit, so I may strip it and re measure it all later today.

I know this all sounds a pain, and this mod isn't for those who like an out of the box faff free mod. If you like a fiddle (ooh matron) this mod is really easy to fettle, and a joy in the hand. The parts are all accessible for maintenance, though not as readily so as box types like the Runt etc. It's different, curvy, tiny, inexpensive, now reliable, I bloody love it.

If you managed to read all this, well done. If you need any help, just give a shout.

Thank you for all the info. I don't mind a fettle, it means I can justify this as a hobby to my better half.

With the info you've provided, what tools and replacement bits would you recommend, should I purchase one?

I like this mod a lot, and use it regularly. Mine has the silver contacts, so no issues there. It does seem to arc quite a bit, but it's easy to clean since the positive contact falls right out when the battery is removed.

a few cons:
The bottle is very exposed and may oversquonk itself in a pocket.
Locking ring may be loose.
You may need to adjust your atomizer alignment so that holes are not blocked by the hump. This calls for removing the positive contact and locking ring and then loosening the 510 (with the atomizer attached). You'll need the appropriate sized nut driver and tweezers. And some patience.

Thank you for all the info. I don't mind a fettle, it means I can justify this as a hobby to my better half.

With the info you've provided, what tools and replacement bits would you recommend, should I purchase one?
Sorry I missed this post. You need a 12mm small socket (or socket tool) to remove the entire 510 unit for full stripdown cleaning, but it's only accessible after removing the lock and lock nut. A cotton bud also gets into the crannies to collect any juice inside. If you can get silver contacts at the time of purchase, that'll reduce how often you need to fully disassemble the mod.

Crappy pic for reference.
IMG_20180928_025832.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom