What's new

Have I leaped before I looked!

Blazing Atoms

Postman
further to my post about plunging into diy juice, i've read i may have gone about it the wrong way. It stated rather than pick random flavours (which i have-ry4 and vanilla custard) its best to find a recipe I like and buy just the flavours for that.

I'm not into super complex flavours, just strawberry or vanilla custards/creams, maybe a coffee and cream or a creamy/caramel tobacco. Occasionally something lemon as a palate cleanser.

Have I messed up in my approach just to make some simple flavours by slinging a couple of concentrates together. In context I actually vape very little, maybe 20 odd hits across 3 rdas every hour. So 50ml lasts me ages and I get very bored of a flavour very quickly (still not found my ADV)

Then there are so many variations of the different flavours by different manufacturers. I was pointed in the direction of darkstar so that's pretty much where I will shop.

Hi fella.
i went in deep at first and bought over 50 single concentrates, syringes, pippetts etc and most of my attempts turned out vapable but pants. then i got scales and it made mixing much easier but still with the same outcome with flavours so gave up after 4 months and went back to shortfills or bottleshots.
post 6 here POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers might help you as there are a few receip sites which show exactly which concentrates you will need for each flavour.
good luck with your journey and i hope it works out better than mine :)

The reason that I gave up diy is that the penny finally dropped, the professionals know what they are doing (in the main), I`ve accepted the extra cost, but things may change in the future with what the government are proposing so I am also laying in some diy supplies, but rather than the scatter shot attempts of previous efforts, I now know that my present ADV will suffice if I am able to come up with a decent facsimile.

From my limited experience of DIY mixing I'd advise first identifying a few recipes you believe you will like and buying specific flavours instead of buying random flavours and combining them in the hope you'll accidentally come up with something palatable, because the odds are highly stacked against you. Any time I mixed randomly the results were pretty bad.

I did manage to mix a few recipes that were ok, but they were custards or ... and cream recipes that took MONTHS to steep - although I can vape them they are flavour profiles I only enjoy occasionally as a change from my regular fruit flavours. Unfortunately I never managed to find a fruit recipe that was even remotely close to the standards of a decent shortfill.

I did read several times that the recommended steeping times for certain recipes would be a few days or even shake and vape - I never found this to work and found a steep of 3 weeks made a big difference, 6 for custards/creams, and the longer you could leave it to blend the better so I would be very cynical of any recipes that claim a very short steep time.

I've got 4 DIY recipes of my own that I've gradually tinkered with and improved over the years and I'm no expert juice maker so I know it can be done. The problem with other peoples recipes is that they all sound great until you actually vape them yourself. Most recipes online tend to have an average of around 6 different flavour concentrates so who wants to spend out on half a dozen bottles of concentrate only to find the recipe tastes crap. Recipes you find online can be great as a template to start off with but they invariably need more work if you are to turn them into something that suits your individual taste buds.

My advice to anyone starting out for the first time is that first and foremost I begin by focusing on my absolute favourite flavours and construct my recipes around that. Then when it comes to what I see as the 'Main' flavour I look around at the different versions and different brands to pick out what look to me to be the most promising candidates and I'll buy 3 or 4 small bottles to do my own taste test to find the one I like the best. I then just put a small dot on my finger and do my little spot taste test first. Whichever one I like most I then use to make up a small sample batch I can vape.

Over time you can keep tinkering to make little improvements but you can normally come up with something vapable pretty quickly.

you can make a tasty blend with ry4 and vanilla custard. both should also work solo depending on which ones you got.

you can make a tasty blend with ry4 and vanilla custard. both should also work solo depending on which ones you got.

Think that's all I'm going to make to start with. Try a 10nl batch size first.

I have TFA RY4 Double and Capella Vanilla custard V1.

I've got a few biscuit, custard and milkshake shake recepies that are my go to. I tend to make them up at a litre at a time and let them steep for an age. Quite often I just add them 50/50 to juice I've bought that is either too full on, or I want to drag out. As they're base flavours it always tends to work. Makes vaping a lot cheaper in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom