What's new

Help! Making my first coil

Aer

Initiate
I've owned my GV Zeus X (EDIT- Zeus X) and Aegis for quite a while but up until now I've always bought premade coils. I have a coil master v4 and now 100ft of kanthal a1 28g wire. The only way I have to read the resistance of my coil is the Aegis mod itself. I normally use 0.5 or lower sub ohm pre made coils but no idea what resistance is best for me as I havent tried much else. I just want to check with someone that knows more if this sounds reasonable before going ahead.

Main questions I have are:

Is it safe to use my Aegis to check the resistance of homemade coils?

The recommended wattage on the steam-engine calculator seems low, does this sound okay for a first try, AFAIK higher resistance is a bit safer?

kanthal a1
awg 28
single coil
target resistance - 1.00 ohm
inner diameter (not sure what was best here) - 2mm
leg length - 6mm (this is a guess and might change once I open the tank and measure my current coil)
wraps - 6
heat capacity - 14.77 mJ/K
wattage - 11w (seems low)

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
Is it safe to use my Aegis to check the resistance of homemade coils?

Yeah man, it's fine

The recommended wattage on the steam-engine calculator seems low, does this sound okay for a first try, AFAIK higher resistance is a bit safer?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do. 28g is very thin wire, more suitable for MTL vaping which the Zeus certainly isn't designed for. 1 ohm again, is MTL territory

24g gauge wire would be a better wire to use in the 0.3 to 0.50 ohm range . 5 wraps of 24g around the 3.5mm piece would get you around 0.50 ohm range & be more suitable. The Zeus really wants thicker Ni80 fused claptons to get the best from it

This is the original single coil Zeus you have & not the Zeus X or anything?

Get 2 strands of your 28awg and twist it using the 'spinning mug' method, loop it though the handle and keep spinning the mug and you'll end up with a straight twisted pair. I'd use a 2.5mm ID too, or even a 3mm if it will fit or you won't have enough cotton for a DTL tank.

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do
Neither am I :18:

I edited my post, it must be the Zeus X as it can do dual coil. It sounds like I probably bought an inappropriate guage wire for the job. I had done some google searching before buying it but obviously not enough!

@Simon G I assume this is a potential work around for my poor choice of wire. I tried changing the steam calc to k-a1 round twisted/parallel but not sure what to put in twist/pitch. Keeping it at 0 twist/pitch 0.5ohm looks best but heat capacity is in the yellow at 29.54 mJ/K, should I worry about that or should it be fine?

Thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated!

Neither am I :18:

I edited my post, it must be the Zeus X as it can do dual coil. It sounds like I probably bought an inappropriate guage wire for the job. I had done some google searching before buying it but obviously not enough!

@Simon G I assume this is a potential work around for my poor choice of wire. I tried changing the steam calc to k-a1 round twisted/parallel but not sure what to put in twist/pitch. Keeping it at 0 twist/pitch 0.5ohm looks best but heat capacity is in the yellow at 29.54 mJ/K, should I worry about that or should it be fine?

yeah, a potential work around... it's exactly what I do in the rare cases I need a DTL coil. I think it was quite common before people invented aliens, claptons etc. I don't use steam engine and I'm not going to start measuring the pitch of my twists. :D

yeah, a potential work around... it's exactly what I do in the rare cases I need a DTL coil. I think it was quite common before people invented aliens, claptons etc. I don't use steam engine and I'm not going to start measuring the pitch of my twists. :D
I vaguely recall doing similar ................ and being the sad git that tried to measure the pitch of my twists ................ :doh: :8:

Back
Top Bottom