What's new

How long can you store nicotine

I have some VG nic that has gone a sort of light amber colour and smells sort of like, biscuit/mild sweaty sock. Has it gone off?

I bought VG nicotine at 52MG/ml from Lubrisolve Engineering Solutions Ltd . I ordered 100 ml and just asumed it was PG. But he has written Diluted in VG on the plastic bottle. Anyway, it looks slightly red, and it`s not thicker than nicotine diluted in PG.
Is this normal, or has the dud from lubrisolve write wrong mixed it up and write VG where it should be PG?
And is it nessesary to rebottle to glass at 52 mg?

Hi

Very interesting and informative thread. Answers a lot of my concerns as I am considering long term storage of juice products too.

The TPD is a joke regarding nicotine, I started DIY my own liquids and have managed to cut down from 3mg to 1.5mg, and looking to get to 0 soon within a month, storing some nicotine in the freezer it is then.

Last edited:
Just panic bought some more nicotine before the TPD comes, plan on more of this in the coming month.

I'm starting to pap it now with this, I was planning on buying a couple of litres of nic but have no way of storing it in a freezer :17:

So, when the TPD fully hits, what will be the nic buying options from then on? 10ml bottle?

ETA: Ok, I should've Googled, from what I understand it'll still be available until May 2017 but it's still a grey area

Last edited:
I have 5 litres stored in the freezer in Amber bottles topped to the brim for minimal oxygen content . Pepepata on the AAEC is 5 years in with no notable difference. Sarin over there who does chemicals for a living predicts there may a small drop in mg...i.e. 72 might be 60 in 15 years but can't see a reason why it will go off.

There is no actual evidence as far as I'm aware of. I re-read the post from the chemist, and I agree there is no suggestion there that PG is better or worse than VG. It is a good post with chemically sound advice, as a chemist myself there is nothing there that I disagree with.

Until I actually see someone show some data and offer a chemically coherent reason why PG should be much better than VG (or vice versa), my advice is just pick whichever you prefer for whatever reason. I am inclined to believe that the widely held opinion that PG is much better for long term storage is simply an idea that has been repeated, believed, accepted and further repeated - a fact that now makes it more or less impossible to find any real data if you google the subject. I personally prefer handling PG solutions because I find the viscosity of VG can result in messy transfers.

I doubt there is much difference because nicotine is a lot more prone to oxidative degradation than either PG or VG. Basically the nic will "go off" long before the VG does. PG might have a better shelf life than VG, but that's irrelevant given the the shorter shelf life of the nicotine. Another important point is that VG is probably often given a shelf life based on it's application as a food product, in which case it is likely to be very cautiously estimated using different criteria from those applied to the shelf life of PG. As a man who readily risks an out of date yoghurt (and a chemist who often uses reagents well past their official shelf life) without ill effect, I personally wouldn't pay much attention to the shelf life claims of VG or PG. Really, this is not something to lose sleep over.

My "the nic will go off first" argument is admittedly a very simplified one. It is true that the rates of reactions (like oxidation) vary depending on solvent (like VG and PG), so there could be differences. In this case, I would expect those differences to be small and of little practical consequence, because VG and PG are basically pretty similar in this context. The high viscosity of VG should be beneficial for long term storage, because it slows the rate of diffusion and therefore the rate of reactions.

Another reason why we might predict a solvent to be less suitable for long term storage is the possibility that the products of solvent degradation react with nicotine or even catalyse nicotine degradation. As far as I'm aware, there are no alarm bells with PG or VG; in any case, they degrade into similar cohort byproducts, so it's hard to predict whether one would be better than the other.

I was about to start a new thread but I can see people are already talking about it lol

Okay I have a couple of concerns. Wouldn't glass bottles crack or break if left in freezer for too long? Also how long can we store the nic in the freezer?
Does it have to be a full and new bottle when storing it ie. we shouldnt store a half used up bottle?

And if unfreezing it, do we just leave it out in room temperature or in a sink for it to be used it again?

Also my nic bottles are already in a dark green glass bottle, should be alright? Ive ordered some more up today from elsewhere so no idea what colour or type of bottle they will come in.

I know silly questions, just want to do it right and not cock up anything.

Oh and all of my nic is 72mg VG.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom