What's new

How will the eliquid tax affect your juice purchases? (poll Included)

How will the eliquid tax affect your juice purchases?

• I'll still purchase my liquids of choice, despite the price hikes

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • I intend to quit vaping

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I'm switching from DTL to MTL

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I'm going down the DIY route

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • I'll probably end up back on the fags

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (replied in thread)

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Banana

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I already DIY, I wont be so badly affected

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I'm considering quitting vaping

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
This is the bigger issue, it's not about how it might affect us individually, I'm sure we'll all find a creative way to get by..... but it how it will affect someone like Supergood. How far do sales need to drop before they decide it's not worth it?
In addition to any business drop off there is the factor that special offers/ reduced/ clearance stock will go out the window. Vendors might end up flogging liquid off cheaper just to cover the tax, how long can a business survive like that :hmm:

In addition to any business drop off there is the factor that special offers/ reduced/ clearance stock will go out the window. Vendors might end up flogging liquid off cheaper just to cover the tax, how long can a business survive like that :hmm:
It's gonna make it much harder to know what to stock in a lot of cases.. I mean those flavour/strengths that may be carried by 1 or 2 people...
.. flavours like chocolate fudge brownie... (oh wait, that's presumably gonna be banned anyway, so that will solve that issue 🤪)

remember there’s a good chance that big bottles of zero nic will become a thing of the past. everything will be 10ml bottles apart from fish bait and kitchen essences.
As they have specifically outlined a tax of one pound per 10ml of zero nic juice I'm hoping that manufacturers will continue to be allowed to sell shortfills as the current regs only restrict juice containing nic limited to a maximum size of 10mls - there will obviously be a tax hike of either a fiver or a tenner for 50 or 100ml bottles, so I'm hoping the government will be happy allowing shortfills to continue as long as their palms get greased with shortfill tax receipts. I don't read the new regs as specifically ruling out zero nic shortfills - it does specifically tax them at one quid per 10ml but I don't see them being specifically banned, maybe Ive missed something though..

If EVERYTHING is to be restricted to 10ml max I'm hoping that pre-mixed 10ml concentrate bottles in the appropriate amounts to make existing juice lines are allowed to be sold as 'kitchen essense' and you just add the appropriate amount of VG/PG and nic - a DIY for dummies longfill system lol - but I think it's academic if flavour restrictions are introduced on top of the taxes as I think most of the current manufacturers will go under.

Already DIY my adv "custard"3mg
But just started using pods with 10mg salt and bought a good stock of fantasi and riot salts really cheap ....got 12 boxes and just bought another 12 boxes .dates are good 02/25...
I'll keep stocking up till the offers end ..then I'll be full on DIY'ing again

i'll just buy a shitload of concentrate before the law changes and mix it myself as i only vape 2 flavours

As they have specifically outlined a tax of one pound per 10ml of zero nic juice I'm hoping that manufacturers will continue to be allowed to sell shortfills as the current regs only restrict juice containing nic limited to a maximum size of 10mls - there will obviously be a tax hike of either a fiver or a tenner for 50 or 100ml bottles, so I'm hoping the government will be happy allowing shortfills to continue as long as their palms get greased with shortfill tax receipts. I don't read the new regs as specifically ruling out zero nic shortfills - it does specifically tax them at one quid per 10ml but I don't see them being specifically banned, maybe Ive missed something though..

If EVERYTHING is to be restricted to 10ml max I'm hoping that pre-mixed 10ml concentrate bottles in the appropriate amounts to make existing juice lines are allowed to be sold as 'kitchen essense' and you just add the appropriate amount of VG/PG and nic - a DIY for dummies longfill system lol - but I think it's academic if flavour restrictions are introduced on top of the taxes as I think most of the current manufacturers will go under.

they can’t prevent you buying kitchen essences mind, all of this will only apply to liquid that is for vaping :)

i think this below will result in them changing the scope of trpr to include zero nic liquid:

Non-nicotine vapes and other nicotine consumer products​

Non-nicotine vapes​

Non-nicotine vapes (or nicotine-free vapes) are covered by the General Products Safety Regulations (GPSR) 2005 in the UK.

Like nicotine vapes, they can come in liquid form to be used in a device or already contained as a liquid in a device. There are 3 categories of these types of non-nicotine vapes:

• shortfill and longfill vapes
  • disposable (single-use) vapes
  • alternative non-nicotine vapes
Alternative non-nicotine vapes are often advertised as wellness vapes. They are not currently subject to the same age restrictions or product standards as nicotine-containing vapes and there are some calls for non-nicotine vapes to be regulated in the same way as nicotine vapes.

There is evidence that children are accessing these products and the UK Government and devolved administrations want to prevent potential future health harms from non-nicotine vapes. Scotland has already introduced age of sale requirements for non-nicotine vapes.

So, the UK Government and the Welsh Government will seek to introduce legislation to prohibit the sale of non-nicotine vapes to under 18s as a first step to protect children from accessing and using these vapes. The Department of Health in Northern Ireland will consider measures relating to non-nicotine vapes to under 18s following this consultation.

The UK Government and devolved administrations are also interested in views on whether we should also impose further restrictions on non-nicotine vapes that we have outlined in this consultation for nicotine vapes.

they can’t prevent you buying kitchen essences mind, all of this will only apply to liquid that is for vaping :)

i think this below will result in them changing the scope of trpr to include zero nic liquid:

Non-nicotine vapes and other nicotine consumer products​

Non-nicotine vapes​

Non-nicotine vapes (or nicotine-free vapes) are covered by the General Products Safety Regulations (GPSR) 2005 in the UK.

Like nicotine vapes, they can come in liquid form to be used in a device or already contained as a liquid in a device. There are 3 categories of these types of non-nicotine vapes:

• shortfill and longfill vapes
  • disposable (single-use) vapes
  • alternative non-nicotine vapes
Alternative non-nicotine vapes are often advertised as wellness vapes. They are not currently subject to the same age restrictions or product standards as nicotine-containing vapes and there are some calls for non-nicotine vapes to be regulated in the same way as nicotine vapes.

There is evidence that children are accessing these products and the UK Government and devolved administrations want to prevent potential future health harms from non-nicotine vapes. Scotland has already introduced age of sale requirements for non-nicotine vapes.

So, the UK Government and the Welsh Government will seek to introduce legislation to prohibit the sale of non-nicotine vapes to under 18s as a first step to protect children from accessing and using these vapes. The Department of Health in Northern Ireland will consider measures relating to non-nicotine vapes to under 18s following this consultation.

The UK Government and devolved administrations are also interested in views on whether we should also impose further restrictions on non-nicotine vapes that we have outlined in this consultation for nicotine vapes.

Also, in the government response to the consultation -
Under these proposals, non-nicotine vapes would be regulated under a similar framework as nicotine vapes.
It seems extremely unlikely that shortfills will be allowed in the new Bill.

I have been doing DiIY since 2017 and only very occasionally buy commercial juice but I’m very concerned about these new regulations. The government are basically shooting them selves in the foot and undoing all of the good work that has been done with vaping in this country. I have no time for disposable vapes and hate the wretched things but apart from that why can’t the government just reinforce the rules that they have already implemented, I am pretty sure that banning disposable’s will be effective enough alone on curbing the amount of underage vaping without going any further.

At the moment I have 3 regular DIY recipes I vape which I'm really happy with but I've no doubt I could come up with a couple more if I wanted to. I also do enjoy buying in the occasional guest juice so hopefully I will still be able to afford them. That depends on how much more expensive they become once the new vape tax comes in. As I only ever vape DTL I always buy 50 or 100ml shortfill flavours with zero nicotine and then just pop in as much nic as I want and I already have enough nicotine to probably last me until I pop my clogs.

I do really worry though for some of our smaller juice makers and I really hope they can find a way to keep going and make a decent living.

Back
Top Bottom