What's new

I made a consumption tracking and e-liquid calculator app

Hey there!

A few months ago I set on a journey to make an app to log my vape puffs and be aware of my usage. Over time I kept introducing new features with the idea of having a kind of vape all-in-one app.
Right now there are calculators for e-liquids and you can share them with friends and also see their puff stats if you're into that.

I hope the mods don't mind me mentioning it, I truly built it bc I needed such an app and there were none. It's called pufftracker but, for now, its only available on android.

Let me know what good ideas you'd want to see in an app that would make your life easier ;)

Welcome to the forum.
I’m coming from the position of being an Apple user so cannot see the app, but…..
To me, puffs are pretty meaningless. Unless the exact same duration, they will result in different liquid usage, intake etc.
And the puff “result” will also depend upon liquid viscosity, wattage, and probably a whole host of other things.
And what if the mod has no puff counter?
I monitor my usage by counting bottles/bottle content consumed - 2.75ml per day over the last couple of months. Works for me.

Hi @infinitystudios and welcome to the planet.
Theres always a market for new tech to monitor things as i guess theres quite a lot new vapors that would like to know this info so good luck with the app.
I think for the majority of us long term vapors on here weve hardly ever looked at the puff counters as the main goal is to stay off the cigs so really it doesnt matter if you have 50 puffs a day or 500.
just looked at 6 of my mods and they all have the max 9999 puff count.
I have no idea if anyone has ever worked out how many puffs on a vape actually calculates to one cig as there are so many variants like nic strength, various puff lengths from 1- 6 seconds etc. and most importantly you can vape your tits off all day long knowing you are not inhaling all the tar and carcinogens which are in cigs.
I vape around 50ml a day and as ive been working from home for past 4 years i have a mod in my hand from the moment i wake until i go to sleep. i must be in the high hundreds a day but im only on 3mg nic. ive got through a 5ml tank in the last hour at 35watt. for years i used to vape all mods at 50w so would get through even more.
interesting to hear what others think.

Edit

A quick question as a new member.
Did you know about the proposed flavour ban? https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/656683/
we are asking this as the majority of the millions of vapers around the uk have no idea about it. They sure will if this law is passed so we are trying to spread the word.
Is there any way you could add a link to the petition on your app.

Last edited:
I think I've only got one mod that displays a puff counter and have no interest in it. I'd think how much juice you vape a day is of more interest and that depends on your vaping style, mtl, rdl or dl. I mix my own and my other half and we get through about 240ml a month, so 8ml a day but I'm not really bothered what it is as we are both no longer smoking.

Many of my mods don't have puff counters - I also vape MTL and DL and have multiple kits in use as I like to vape multiple flavours in the same day.

How many puffs I take in a day is pretty meaningless as they can vary from 1.5 to 3.5 seconds. I can see it could be useful to someone who uses just one mod and constantly monitors the puff counter but a more accurate method is to keep a tally of how much juice you get through in a week or month.

I like to keep numerous devices going at the same time so have always been tempted to build a web app, even just for personal use to track which coils and liquids are in which tanks/squonk bottle or last dripped into which RDA, when the wicks and coils were last changed, what wick material etc. as that can be hard to keep track of especially when testing out different versions of a recipe at the same time - but just use a markdown file with tables.

Not sure I could be bothered to track puff counts from each device, or be all that interested in the results - each to their own - but if there was something that did the above that'd be handy.

I'd not use an android app though, a web app that runs in a browser sure yes, so I could use it on any computer and it's completely isolated from the operating system and my data, and so I can control what other online resources it gets to use (eg. not allow any data transfer to or from any server associated with google, facebook or other data harvesters etc) - this is why companies are so keen for people to 'use our app', it gets them past all the privacy and security measures very sensibly implemented in browsers.

Running an app on your phone rather than using a browser is rather like letting somebody roam free in your house as opposed to talking to them on the doorstep with your foot firmly planted behind the door - if you trust that somebody then maybe that's OK, but it's well worth asking yourself that question fairly seriously before installing any phone application, even from an 'official' source.

(Not a paranoid lunatic, an IT professional...)

Last edited:
i’m not sure most people are interested in monitoring consumption any further than occasionally noting how long a 50ml bottle lasts.

I like to keep numerous devices going at the same time so have always been tempted to build a web app, even just for personal use to track which coils and liquids are in which tanks/squonk bottle or last dripped into which RDA, when the wicks and coils were last changed, what wick material etc. as that can be hard to keep track of especially when testing out different versions of a recipe at the same time - but just use a markdown file with tables.

Not sure I could be bothered to track puff counts from each device, or be all that interested in the results - each to their own - but if there was something that did the above that'd be handy.

I'd not use an android app though, a web app that run in a browser sure yes, so I could use it on a proper computer and it's completely isolated from the operating system and the data stored on it by design and I could control what other web resources it gets to use (eg. not allow any data transfer to or from any server associated with google, facebook etc) - this is why companies are so keen for people to 'use our app', it gets them past all the privacy and security measures very sensibly implemented in browsers.

Remember folks, running an app rather than using a browser is rather like letting somebody roam free in your house as opposed to talking to them on the doorstep with your foot firmly planted behind the door.

you could probably rig all your devices together with wires and attach them to a microchip.

as far as the app thing, there are some folk here who are quite paranoid about that kind of stuff. a few years ago there was a big scare about folk hacking into smart meters.

as far as the app thing, there are some folk here who are quite paranoid about that kind of stuff. a few years ago there was a big scare about folk hacking into smart meters.
Rightly so, and not paranoid at all, entirely sensible. Once an app is installed, who knows what the software is doing; and it's running on the device that might contain the logon details for your banking, email, investments etc, quite apart from your photos and anything else on there that you'd not want complete strangers to have access to.

An app might be entirely innocent/trustworthy when it's installed but if the author wants to, or sells the product to somebody else with more nefarious intent, or a third party code library they use is similarly compromised; all it takes is an update to plonk malicious code on your phone. Best use a browser wherever possible, as that protects you, especially if you use addons that prevent the web site you choose to visit talking to other web resources you didn't choose to be exposed to.

It's hard to completely avoid apps these days of course, so I run 2 phones. One has the applications that I absolutely need to run but contains almost zero personal data and is locked down as hard as possible, it stays switched off except when I want to use something on it and I'm very reluctant to update anything on it. The other is pretty much just for listening to music/books and looking at the news etc, and contains what little personal data I put on it like contacts and photos - and the two remain entirely separate.

Back
Top Bottom