What's new

I made a consumption tracking and e-liquid calculator app

I downloaded the app just to take a look but it seems to be aimed at people who want to quit or cut down their vaping which definitely isn't me. I've never taken much notice of puff counts and I also just tend to like to know how much juice I'm getting through just out of curiocity. To be honest I haven't found anything in the app that really helps me but I wish you well with it.

Rightly so, and not paranoid at all, entirely sensible. Once an app is installed, who knows what the software is doing; and it's running on the device that might contain the logon details for your banking, email, investments etc, quite apart from your photos and anything else on there that you'd not want complete strangers to have access to.

An app might be entirely innocent/trustworthy when it's installed but if the author wants to, or sells the product to somebody else with more nefarious intent, or a third party code library they use is similarly compromised; all it takes is an update to plonk malicious code on your phone. Best use a browser wherever possible, as that protects you, especially if you use addons that prevent the web site you choose to visit talking to other web resources you didn't choose to be exposed to.

It's hard to completely avoid apps these days of course, so I run 2 phones. One has the applications that I absolutely need to run but contains almost zero personal data and is locked down as hard as possible, it stays switched off except when I want to use something on it and I'm very reluctant to update anything on it. The other is pretty much just for listening to music/books and looking at the news etc, and contains what little personal data I put on it like contacts and photos - and the two remain entirely separate.

aye, an android specific problem, really. but the new eu enforced changes to ios in wurope could cause similar problems.

the folk on here were just worried aboht people hacking straight into their smart meters, for some reason.

but just use a markdown file with tables.
That's all I use. 2 columns. Atty and Mix. A1 contains the last coil change with details. Otherwise just rewick date and my DIY juice name. The other has date, name, and thoughts
Not sure I could be bothered to track puff counts from each device, or be all that interested in the results - each to their own - but if there was something that did the above that'd be handy.
Never once, so like you. My mods all upload puff details and collate those values automagically, anonymously.
(Not a paranoid lunatic, an IT professional...)
Same here, from before commercial relational databases were a thing. Before the web was invented, and only ftp and telnet was around. 😉

Welcome to the forum.
I’m coming from the position of being an Apple user so cannot see the app, but…..
To me, puffs are pretty meaningless. Unless the exact same duration, they will result in different liquid usage, intake etc.
And the puff “result” will also depend upon liquid viscosity, wattage, and probably a whole host of other things.
And what if the mod has no puff counter?
I monitor my usage by counting bottles/bottle content consumed - 2.75ml per day over the last couple of months. Works for me.
You're right, but the app is for poeple who want to moderate their one usage, it's good if its used relatively to a a user's own consumption, given the variables are the same.

I mean we also just implemented a kind of social network-like feed where users can post their setups or quitters (separately) can talk about their quitting journey, so overall im trying to make it a pleaseant experience for vapers or quitters

I downloaded the app just to take a look but it seems to be aimed at people who want to quit or cut down their vaping which definitely isn't me. I've never taken much notice of puff counts and I also just tend to like to know how much juice I'm getting through just out of curiocity. To be honest I haven't found anything in the app that really helps me but I wish you well with it.
I'm really curious about your opinion. Why do you think it specifically caters to people that are quitting? I really tried to make it seem like its for everyone, since you can enable and disable a quitting mode and stuff like that.

But I can see why it can seem like that, since the app started out as a puff tracker. Maybe adding some mod/coils calculators would help in adding some usefullness?

I like to keep numerous devices going at the same time so have always been tempted to build a web app, even just for personal use to track which coils and liquids are in which tanks/squonk bottle or last dripped into which RDA, when the wicks and coils were last changed, what wick material etc. as that can be hard to keep track of especially when testing out different versions of a recipe at the same time - but just use a markdown file with tables.

Not sure I could be bothered to track puff counts from each device, or be all that interested in the results - each to their own - but if there was something that did the above that'd be handy.

I'd not use an android app though, a web app that runs in a browser sure yes, so I could use it on any computer and it's completely isolated from the operating system and my data, and so I can control what other online resources it gets to use (eg. not allow any data transfer to or from any server associated with google, facebook or other data harvesters etc) - this is why companies are so keen for people to 'use our app', it gets them past all the privacy and security measures very sensibly implemented in browsers.

Running an app on your phone rather than using a browser is rather like letting somebody roam free in your house as opposed to talking to them on the doorstep with your foot firmly planted behind the door - if you trust that somebody then maybe that's OK, but it's well worth asking yourself that question fairly seriously before installing any phone application, even from an 'official' source.

(Not a paranoid lunatic, an IT professional...)
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely thinking of something to cater to mod vapers.

Regarding the privacy, dont worry, google and apple restrict the permissions we can ask for, and to use certain mobile resources the user must agree, accessing the phone's data is totally impossible unless you accept some really shady permissions (even then not really sure). There really isn't any sensitive data I could collect from the app, besides google knowing you installed it.

That's all I use. 2 columns. Atty and Mix. A1 contains the last coil change with details. Otherwise just rewick date and my DIY juice name. The other has date, name, and thoughts
I probably went overboard on the columns a bit, but here's a section of mine that covers the builds I'm running and the ones that are sitting on the shelf wishing they were :).

1710049052617.png

Same here, from before commercial relational databases were a thing. Before the web was invented, and only ftp and telnet was around. 😉
Nice, same here, when usenet was the thing and smileys didn't annoyingly keep being converted to graphics by everything ;) ROFL

I'm really curious about your opinion. Why do you think it specifically caters to people that are quitting? I really tried to make it seem like its for everyone, since you can enable and disable a quitting mode and stuff like that.

But I can see why it can seem like that, since the app started out as a puff tracker. Maybe adding some mod/coils calculators would help in adding some usefullness?

The concept of keeping a daily track of puffs followed by reading the app desciption on the App Store where there seemed to be a strong focus on quitting or helping people try to keep a tight reign on how much they're vaping was what gave me that impression. It just gives me that guilty feeling that vaping is this bad thing we should all be trying to stop. I actually love vaping so the last thing I want is help with quitting

Since I've been a member on POTV I've seen very little talk about people feeling they should be trying to keep a tight reign on what they vape so it just seems a bit of an alien concept to me.

It just gives me that guilty feeling that vaping is this bad thing we should all be trying to stop. I actually love vaping so the last thing I want is help with quitting
Absolutely this, personally it's a hobby; a thing I do because I enjoy it, like diving or archery.

Similar to those hobbies there's the enjoyment of actually doing the thing, but also maintaining and adapting (and buying...) the equipment and bantering / comparing notes about both with fellow enthusiasts etc.

The fact that it helps me not smoke so much (very much so), or maybe quit completely (in all honesty... unlikely) is a great side benefit.

Back
Top Bottom