What's new

Ignorance of vaping: E-cignorance

Toby iVapour

Vendor
E-cignorance
Stupid people saying stupid things about vaping
https://snowdon.substack.com/p/e-cignorance
YouGov put out a poll yesterday which showed an appalling lack of public understanding about the relative risks of vaping and smoking. Only 24 per cent of respondents knew that smoking is much worse for your health than vaping. 52 per cent reckoned vaping is as bad or worse than smoking. Surveys from the USA show that public ignorance among Americans is even worse, with a mere 2.6 per cent of them able to give the correct answer.
https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F4c422deb-2f94-4638-8a0f-4842a88f3254_680x668.jpeg

Politicians need to be aware of this context. If a survey shows a majority of people supporting tougher regulation of vaping, they need to remember that only a quarter of them have a basic understanding of the relative risks and more than half of them are totally misinformed.

Honestly it doesn't surprise me. I've had conversations with some people who are adamant that vaping is just as bad as smoking and for some reason are completely stubborn about it with no wiggle room to change their minds. For the most part it seems to come from non-smokers who don't really have any reason to pay attention to anything related to either smoking or vaping, they just see it all as bad.

.. or smokers in denial...

That's true, I had the same discussion with a long time smoker friend who was also adamant vaping is just as bad, that is until she got pregnant and the doctors recommended she vapes if it will keep her away from cigarettes and now suddenly they're the healthiest thing ever :18:

I largely blame social media, it's how most nonsense is spread these days.

Its hardly surprising that Joe public hasn't got a clue or even worse thinks as the poll suggests because of all the misguided and misleading information around vaping.
If you take a step backwards and ask the question why so many counties are banning vaping then the uneducated amongst us can only assume it's because it must be really dangerous. Surely all the powers that be who are behind these bans cant be wrong!
It's made worse by the fact that these people and counties that are totally against vaping still allow and support smoking. There are very few counties that have not limited vaping to one extent or another.
It's quite frightening to think that this level of attack on vaping and the level of corruption that takes place is allowed to go unchecked.
I myself have been surprised that the vaping community as a whole have not stood their ground and challenged all these false allegations.

Surely all the powers that be who are behind these bans cant be wrong
Just had this exact conversation on Boxing Day :17: See my thread on Asylum

What I think is the most galling, is how flippantly and easily these people will take away someone else’s rights. It has often seemed to me that most people feel fascism is quite alright as long as it’s not their freedoms being taken away :56:

giphy.gif

Makes me wonder what's the purpose of this poll, hopefully it is to highlight ignorance and do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom