What's new

Issue with Ody clone

understand a bit about electricity - current draw is the crucial factor - in how much current does the coil ACTUALLY pull from the battery?

Now you've stated that you're using a 0.8 ohm coil; - that's LOW! using that fiugure let's look what current it is pulling at different settings...

at 3.3 volts that coil will be pulling 4.12 AMPS and generating approx 13.6 Watts - that is a lot of amperage and many devices will limit it - a VAMO will limit it to 3 I believe - but the perceived effect of that is that it will feel HOT and drain the battery quickly.

at 3.7 volts that coil will be pulling 4.62 AMPS and generating approx 17.1 Watts -

at 4.0 volts that coil will be pulling 5 AMPS and generating approx 20 Watts -

at 4.3 volts that coil will be pulling 5.38 AMPS and generating approx 23 Watts -

now granted much of those figures will only be handy for mods that can HANDLE that kind of power and crucially BATTERIES that can handle that kind of current draw. AFAIK only quality panasonics and samsungs are tested to safely discharge up to 10A BUT most electronic devices will limit to approx 3A anyway!

The point is that you are running your device past it's limit and it's already capping it . The fact it's getting hot is a splendid example of just how much Amps you're pulling from the battery - electricity generates heat - no getting away from it - it's a fundamental thing - more amps mor eheat etc...

And then it comes down to what you use to deliver that power - if the battery can't cope it will get flat very very quickly...

Now a mechanical mod like your GGTS will let you do this with the appropriate batteries - BUT they will get hot and they will flatten the Batteries just as quickly if not faster...

a freshly charged battery will give 4.3 volts when inserted - which means you were getting this: 5.4 amps and 23 watts!!!!! - And you wonder why it got hot! ;)

Also if your battery is NOT tested to safely handle that kind of current draw then you are risking it getting even hotter when the battery suffers thermal runaway!

in fact if you want to go low as they say then the safest bet is to use a proper battery that can handle it - Panasonic - samsung etc... but you have to realistically expect that even a superb battery will not keep up with that kind of demand for very long :)

Last edited:
Yeah, correct Clint, and it's a great little Mod, I love it :D , but I got the idea he was using a Vamo, quite erroneously . Think it's age catching up with me, or I had too many tabs open ;) Or my Vamo was playing up ... or what the hell, I effed up. Sorry :P

Darthpistachio said what I was thinking, but with eloquence that I grossly lacked. Avec his nut saber he cut through the subject superbly. Cheers, Darth, nicely put :P

Modem7, glad you got sorted with a U-bend. I'm waiting on the Vapemail for one...next week, if I'm luckky ;) , so I've filed this away in my brainbox, for future use, hopefully not too future though :P

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom