What's new

Just an observation...

fentribal

Postman
I was just reading through some of the comments on a classified listing for some mechs, and it got me thinking about something I have pondered numerous times in the past. Can vaping with a mech really be considered a "step up" or the holy grail of vaping? I get that if you go into vaping with mechs as a hobbyist, making sure that all the component parts and interconnects are of such quality and that their compatibility provides the lowest amount of volt drop between cell and coil, leading to provide you perhaps the "purist" hit. But with the many things that can affect this outcome, is all that effort ultimately worth the result?
My view of mech vaping has always been a bit like the method of tattooing by way of Ka Uhi, in the way it's highly revered and viewed as a practice that transcends the more mainstream popular styles, but maybe in reality, just exists because that was one of the few only methods that were available at the time......... or am I just being a philistine?

Each to their own I suppose. I had a mech squonker but got rid of it as I prefer variable wattage devices. I just found with a mech that you get a decent vape with a fully charged battery but as soon as the battery gets below a certain level it's a bit mehhh. With variable wattage it's more consistent and the vape with a full battery on a mech was nothing special.

I like mechs, use them frequently, but for me most of the appeal is they are as sophisticated as a hammer. Every mech I've ever bought is still alive and kicking - I've had to make a couple of springs to replace broken/weak magnets but that was easy. So far I've had 6 regulated mods die on me and have a similar number getting glitchy or with tired, sunken 510 pins. Normally with any mech just cleaning the threads and contacts has resolved any issues.

Because the user is the safety aspect and has to apply a working knowledge of Ohms Law/build to a very narrow resistance margin to get the vape you want/exercise battery safety/stay within the Amp drain limits of the battery/check builds for hard shorts on a separate device/make sure the 510 pin is fixed and protruding that it is considered a product that is for 'advanced' users rather than an advanced product. They are no more complicated than a torch.

Although I use mechs frequently I don't build below 0.15 on a 4.2V tube - if I fancy a spot of high power vaping I use a regulated mod.

I'm with @30deadcats. I tried a mech once, it was gifted to me after repairing a solder connection of a lipo battery connector on a DNA mod years ago.

With the cell voltage dropping to a point it starts affecting your flavor (or too high it gives burnt hits), i decided consistancy was preferable and stuck with regulated devices since. The Dovpo/AcrossVape pumper an exception, since it has protections built-in and works surprisingly well with mesh.

Last edited:
Initially I was drawn to mechs for the challenge of it.
Back when I built my own aliens, getting the perfect resistance was a real struggle and struggle+success=satisfaction.

Now that i buy my complex coils I still love mechs for the simplicity and the authenticity of the experience.
I can't fully explain why but using a mech just feels better.

I never use a mech out and about so I am never more than a few feet away from a fully charged battery.
So there really is no drawback for me.

Also I like a compact setup but I don't want to sacrifice power or quality to get it.
I don't use dual battery mods anymore so the best way to get a decently hard hit is with an unregulated mod.

making sure that all the component parts and interconnects are of such quality and that their compatibility provides the lowest amount of volt drop between cell and coil, leading to provide you perhaps the "purist" hit.
could you not compensate using a regulated mod by just turning the power up a bit?

Bypass isn't really bypass. The board will disable the buck boost, but the battery voltage will still go via the board and the associated wiring so there will be additional voltage drop and a slight delay in power delivery. It will be similar, but not the same.

If anyone is unsure about a mech I would advise them to try vaping by-pass as it is similar - if they can find a build they enjoy vaping despite the progressive reduction in power as the battery discharges then it is worthwhile considering a mech. If not, then there's no point in them bothering.

I pretty much exclusively use single cell mech squonkers. Not from a "purist" point of view, but because with squonking I found mods containing boards to be fraught with issues, and if anything goes wrong with a mech squonker I know how to fix them.

As for power, I use single coil restricted RDA's and Ni80 fused claptons between 0.3 and 0.5 ohms (2*26/36 or 2*28/38), built to be a little feisty on a full charge, and just starting to get weak when it is time to refill the bottle. I change cells when I refill the bottle and that's it, job done.

Last edited:
Cor….. I feel old.
I started on Mechs as their were no affordable Box Mods around back then and stayed with Mechs for about 4 years.
I still love them and have a couple that will never leave.
Sure! Vaping was very different back then but it was also far more interesting and exciting, but everything changes and the scene is unrecognisable compared to then.

Back
Top Bottom