What's new

Loco FT17 (Tiny Tank!) - My first mod!

Loco

Postman
Finally got a chance to post up my pride and joy....my first ever build!

I've never built anything, nor do I have any electrical experience....So I spent a good bit of time researching ( A LOT of time ) and watched lots of tutorials...and had a little practice at soldering some scrap etc.

Nothings really that hard, just watch people that have spent time learning all the techniques and tricks, so you don't have to! Then practice!

To start, I had a very personal specification when it came to this build -

-Small
-Sexy
-SX350 chip
-Easy change of battery

Pretty normal....until

-Wide and heavy enough not to f-in fall over every time my lil'un bounces around. MUST BE STABLE ON A TABLE!!!!!
(anyone who had used a mvp with a half decent rba will have felt this pain at some time!)

- Strong!....I like to use my mod everywhere, so must be able to withstand some wear and tear!!!!

To meet this spec, I decided I will have to fabricate my own box, plus I want to be different! No hammond for me plzzz

Decided I wanted to use steel for the body. The walls are thin (2mm ish) to keep size down, but I still wanted it to be strong as F and to have a bit of heft.

Ally sides so magnets would work and to save some weight, stopping it pulling down my trousers in public.

So I made a shopping list...

SX350 (best chip out there IMO and easily enough power for me)
Silver coated stranded copper wiring with some tough teflon coating (was valve amplifier wiring originally I think)
Stealthvape OCD connector ( I hate adjustables! Top is low profile so easy to recess + no spring = less parts to wear out/break)
Keystone battery holder (best in the buisness IMO, gold plated contacts!)
Tiny ass vandal button ( thanks Seedy :D)
Sugru ( thanks Vapingbad :D)
Some seedy magnets
JB Weld
Step drill bit
Bit 'o' perspex
Some box section and some ally

Then came the design....I sat with my parts, aligned them how I thought would be the most 'space efficient' and drew everything up on paper. I was ambitious, as this is my first build, and I left very little /no space.

I didn't want to sacrifice on my choice of parts, especially the switch, as its one part you use the most!

Fabrication....

Heavily modified the keystone holder to make it fit ( dremel to the top and sides) then reinforced it with perspex where there was space.

Wired up everything roughly and upgraded the chip to make sure all was well.

Drilled up the box section in 3 places...510 / switch / screen. Used the 2mm step up to recess the 510 (using the taper)

Viced up the ally plate after cutting to rough size....filed away

Soldered everything together neatly ( FLUX IS YOUR BEST FRIEND!!!), and then installed everything (paying attention to order, 510, switch, chip then battery holder)...As you can see in the pics, the switch only just fit after I bent the pins pretty damn far.

Used sugru around the chip and battery holder, smoothed everything off nicely

Fabricated the magnet holder fascia thingy...

Added magnets and pins to the face plate to hold it in place. The internal magnets are mounted in a 1mm recess, each magnet is 0.5mm thick, they make full contact and hold well, but the pins stop

any sliding around.

....Then I sat and had a hard earned vape...very satisfying feeling to have a vape your own mod!

Id definitely recommend having a go to anyone hesitating to just do it. With a chip like a sx350 its really not the difficult, just do some research and your away!

If I can do it with no experience in any of the skills required, I don't see why anyone cant if you have the time. It would be a lot simpler using a ready made box too!

I did have some hair pulling moments throughout the build...keystone holders when I purchased were only available from conrad, after paying extortionate shipping, they send me a 24v switch in place of may part, so much for German efficiency. 2nd order was the charm :(

This is actually v2...I tried making a box with some thicker walled extruded ally, the same as vapingbads DNA build. However the dimensions really just didn't allow for the chunkier chip. I filed away at the wall for a day or so, before realizing that it was going to be weak as F by the time I was done!

Upgrading the chip....if you use windows 7 or later, you may have a similar problem, feel free to pm me if you do. The upgrade process is simple, if the computer actually loads the f-in driver in the first place....had to use command prompt to disable driver signature. When that's done everything works fine!

Do not drill ally or steel topless! Even if it is a hot day. The only other person in the house is 6. So pulling out the metal shrapnel from my arms /chest/ neck with no sympathy was not fun. As cool as I must have looked wearing goggles/gloves and shorts...i'm a dick.

So here it is.....Thanks to @Seedy @BaDaBooM and @Vaping Bad for there support, answering my questions throughout the build!

All new builders are lucky, as you now have modmaker and stealthvape supplying about every part you need, including those elusive keystone holders!!!

....and finally....yes I make all that effort to make something small, then I go and stick a wapping great drip tip on top. I can't use anything else tho, tastes better IMO :D

z1.jpgz2.jpgz3.jpgz4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one mate - I'm so jealous, I'd love to give this a go, but no time, the OH nagging etc. etc., so in our little community I feel you've done this for all of us.

Very impressed and I love the art work :) What happened with the USB ??

Very impressed and I love the art work :) What happened with the USB ??

Its there! At the front, under the magnet mount thingy.

Was my last 'grey hair' moment.....I had intended for it to be accessable on the side, mounted behind the battery holder....however, I didn't take account of the fact the battery protrudes further than the battery housing when I did my initial design. So I moved the battery holder back...and fortunately, there was room to feed it under the switch to show from the front. Took a bit of chipping away at the mass of hotglue yihi seems to cover everything in. I remember you mentioning what a soab the usb can be to find space for, I found out why!

I'm pretty happy with where it is really, and means no unsightly holes on the case. Most of the time I just switch batteries out. But at least if I have to charge up/upgrade, all I have to do is wap off the cover and plug in. The joy of using magnets instead of screws :D

Very very nice. Hard to think this is your first build. Top quality fella.

Thanks man, that's the benefit of having so much information readily available to us. Just spent some time reading up, its like building mods 'in your head'....so that was my practice :D

Is great there's site's like yours now, for the new people to have a look over, as you have a nice collection of information to sponge up!

I'd imagine making a hammond style mod would be ridiculously fast, as there's not that much soldering to do. Hardest thing is the planning really!

Think i'm going to be buying a few chips from you soon to make some variants (not the mod/different versions) for other people to enjoy!

Thanks man, that's the benefit of having so much information readily available to us. Just spent some time reading up, its like building mods 'in your head'....so that was my practice :D

Is great there's site's like yours now, for the new people to have a look over, as you have a nice collection of information to sponge up!

I'd imagine making a hammond style mod would be ridiculously fast, as there's not that much soldering to do. Hardest thing is the planning really!

Think i'm going to be buying a few chips from you soon to make some variants (not the mod/different versions) for other people to enjoy!

Very happy to help. With mods like that and better in the future, your friends are very lucky ;)

That's a great little box mod you've made there.

Fantastic job.

That's absolutly smashing mate. You should be very proud of that. It's a pitty you can't flip the display on the SX350 so you can turn it upside down and your button could go at the top but it's nice as a pinkie firer. I think the long drip tip adds to the look..

Back
Top Bottom