What's new

Building my own pipe, where to begin?

yobgw1bsr

Hello everyone!

First of all, I am a total beginner in all things vaping; I offer you my apologies in advance because I'm certain some of my questions have already been asked a million time before. Sorry if that's the case! Also, as I do not know the vocabulary related to vaping, please bear with me and please correct my mistakes, I'm still learning.

I am looking at some guidance for a project I have been dreaming about for a long time: I want to stop smoking my traditional pipe and build a vaping pipe instead to prevent health issues, and since I'm a LARP enthusiast, I also figured I could build the pipe my D&D and LARP characters use to smoke (they're wizard, of course!) use to smoke; a huge Gandalf like pipe.

I expect this to be hard, but I think I have my chances: I have experience with CAD and drawing 3D models as well as printing them, and I'm an electronics engineer. The big "however" is that I have no knowledge on vaping itself or where I should start. To give an example, I have no idea whether some kits exist to start from an existing basis or if I have to do everything from scratch.

Ideally (albeit naively), I thought the plan would more or less involve buying an existing vape, cutting the plastic/metallic case, get the electronics, unsolder/modify the parts and mount it back inside a case I would design myself. Is this completely stupid or do people actually do this?

Finally, to be clear, I'm not looking on the specifics, but really on how the workflow would look like.

Sorry for the long post and a big thank you to anyone who can help me!

I've never wanted to vape on pipe style, but there is a vendor on here who makes some exquisite pipe vapes. Search for posts by @vapesmarter and be impressed. You might purchase one, then design your own thinking of what you'd change to make it even better.

And welcome.

Another vote for @vapesmarter - that would be my first choice.

Limelight mechanics also do some nice ones, but only 13650. Yogs pipes are pretty decent too, if you haven't checked them out already.

I feel like there's a gap in the market for a decent mass market epipe, better than the guardians and elitars that have come and gone.

🔝 None of which really answers your question.

I am not very practical - hence my lack of success - but I did consider trying to make one a few years ago. It sounded easy (or at least do-able) but I struggled to fit the battery/board into a pipe format, how to attach the buttons, 510 connector, etc. to the pipe body.

If you make any headway with this, I'd be really interested to see how it goes.

ETA: Check out this post: https://forum.planetofthevapes.co.u...-epipe-any-tutorials-tips-or-pointers.163991/

Last edited:
thankyou for the shout-outs

before cigarettes there were pipes before, hand rolling there were pipes and before cigars in most places there were pipes

the smoking pipe has been about for years but the image of the pipe is very bad if not a joke and of course, this went on into vaping and beyond in most reviews i see the pipe has always been seen as some piss-taking thing "you can point at" "be an old man" "suits you sir" etc etc an average pipe to get right takes hours days even to sort from the wood to the stem and still it's a big chuckle to the none user.

but there is a point missed before your MTl tanks before the boro the handmade e-pipe was the perfect MTL device you could sit on the settee with your loved one and use a small delicate pipe to relax you could go for a long stem for a cool vape you could go hotter with a short stem all very relaxing

I'm a traditionalist so my pipes are switched mechs or mechs they are mostly 18350 which translates from traditional pipes one bowl equals one use if you want a big hit smoke a cigarette which the pipe user frowned upon so one battery equals one use then you put it down it's all about relaxing if you want big clouds at 60watts buy a mod, not a pipe.

ive made lots and converted many but they are interesting to make but also long-winded and complicated

imageIMG_3644.jpg

And welcome.
Thank you! It seems we managed to conjure up vapesmarter!

Great link, thank you very much! It is exactly what I was expecting to find.

ive made lots and converted many but they are interesting to make but also long-winded and complicated
What would you deem the most complicated part?

For additional context, I'm not really looking on becoming a hardcore vape user. Like wine, you could give me a top-notch bottle or the cheapest moonshine and I couldn't tell the difference. Same thing goes with vaping, even low quality would befit me.

My goal is foremost to build a functional pipe that can output a lot of smoke to look like a bespoke wizard in LARP and festivals

Can you actually still buy those? Can't lie, I know it's smok, but I kind of like them.
I've no idea but i bought one a few years ago along with a smok tree box (single battery).It'll be old stock but try the internet.Or ask here.

Back
Top Bottom