What's new

So.. does anyone actually use TC ?

Hi folks, I have an on but very rapidly off, then on again a month or three later (and repeat) relationship with TC and wondered if anyone actually uses it all the time.

The reason I don't is just that it's not very satisfying when too low, and burns wicks when too high; and the sweet spot in the middle doesn't exist, or exists so fleetingly that it's not worth the bother.

Years ago I could believe that it was my devices not having great TC as back then it was pretty cutting edge but now decent TC is a given with a quaility mod and some are great at it if you go by serious analyses of their performance - eg. have seen some studies of how the DNA chip handles it - and of course you can see the data yourslef in their application.

I'm trying it with what should be leading edge TC mods such a my 2 DNA devices (with up to date firmware), plus three pretty new Lost Vape mods, and even my old Geek Vape Legend and Luxotic mods are supposed to be OK at TC.

Almost all my spooled wire is SS316 for this reason as I bought it to be able to build coils for both Watts and TC modes, I've also tried Titanium and Ni200 (in the old days) but find steel much easier to work with.

I'm au-fait with the physics of it all, am an old hand at making my own wire and wrapping my own coils but have also used quality pre-mades like Vandy Vape and Geek Vape coils so have tried a huge variety of coil types and styles over a wide range of resistances.

I've used a variety of densities of wick, both cotton and rayon, loosely or densely packed.

Same with mesh, I have a few mesh RDAs and tanks, using pre-made mesh and cut from the reel.

I've tried what must be just about every combination of the above to get along with TC and 'give it another chance' over the years since I really like the concept of it - but still, I always end up coming back to watts mode almost immediately as it's simply a more satisfying vape.

Like I guess every seasoned vaper I semi-unconsciously lift off briefly and re-fire during a long draw when it gets a bit warm so essentially have my own organic-TC system, it works very well and I never burn wicks that way (I do when forgetting to squonk/drip and not paying attention sometimes of course !).

Same with VPC - I essentially do that unconsciously, so try it sometimes but again, always go back to flying manually as it were, in Watts mode.

Curious to see what others think...

Last edited:
Only tried it 3 times in istick40 sx mini and jac DNA75 and not since. Me much prefer watts

I like to tinker but have never really had the patience to mess with temp control. I just use wattage mode and hope for the best. Worked so far.

I tried TC 2 or 3 times including the last couple on my DNA250C Odin mods but I found it just wasn't consistent enough.

Now I've found my ideal setup on wattage mode which gives me a perfect vape that is always reliable so I can't see me going near TC again any time soon.

I'm not a regular TC vaper but occasionally use TC for very restricted RDL vaping with a few atomisers that I use for TC only - always with spaced SS316Lround wire at or above 0.40 Ohms. I don't trust myself using any TC wire like Titanium or Ni200 as I'm absent minded and don't want to risk accidentally vape a TC only build in Wattage mode.

Most of my vaping is relatively high powered DL using low ohm complex builds, when I vape MTL I generally use MTL fused claptons or MTL staples - and TC doesn't seem to work well for me using these builds so I stick with wattage mode. I'm guessing the combination of different gauge wires that possibly ramp up at different speeds and, for low Ohm DL, a minimal increase in resistance when heated makes it difficult for even a sophisticated board to accurately assess the temperature and respond in time.

The only current member I can think of that vapes TC regularly is @ZenAnarchi , who can probably give a more informed opinion - looking at the stats of my Ultroner Thor DNA75C on Escribe it has over 60,000 hits, only 330 have been in TC mode...

Last edited:
Used it a few times just because it was there to try but just use wattage.

No, just wattage other than a Puremax but I've no idea what it does with the temperature for the selected power level but it works well enough.

Back
Top Bottom