What's new

Basic vape help

UnitedAs1

Hey guys,

New around here but I think I've been a member here for a while.

I'm not new to vaping but I do probably have some basic questions.

So I have the Geek Vape Aegis Legend 2 and use the standard tank that comes with it. What sold this to me was the air flow at the top prevents leakage. I tend to vape on around 40-50W with the Geekvape Z 0.4 Coil. The problem I have is that I can only really use a couple of flavours both by 'Wick Liquor' Easy on the fluff and Easy on the Creme. I have a draw full of other flavours like one by 13 Squid Nordic which is a smooth caramel fudge which is probably my most favourite however, it just burns the coils way to quickly.

Is it the coils? Should I buy a new tank to be able to get better coils to make them a bit more long lasting? I did buy a coil rebuilding kit but I haven't been able to rebuild a coil successfully yet. The one I did build that I thought was half decent didn't cool down so will need a bit more practice.

Or is it the liquid itself? Am I just buying crap?

Again sorry for the basic questions just trying to understand.

Never a stupid question so never be afraid to ask.
If it's the Zeus tank I found the 0.4 a bit pants. I mainly use the 0.15 XM coils which can take much higher wattage even though I still only run at 40-50max.
What ratio vg/Pg is the juice your using. I found 80vg to be a bit thick.
To prolong the life of coils it's always worth bedding them in by starting at around 20watt, take a few puffs which won't get much flavour or cloud but they are still heating up. Then turn up a watt every few puffs.
Hopefully others will be along to give their advice as well.

Hi @UnitedAs1 and :welcome2: to the planet. :)

I've only been using RBA's for the last few years so I'll leave to some of the guys who are more up to date and know more than me about stock coil atties and I'm sure they'll help you out but I hope you enjoy your time on POTV.

It'll be a combination of both I reckon. 40-50w seems a bit much for an 0.4ohm coil, they usually hit about 40w at the most for me. Try a lower ohm coil for it. Mr DJ is spot on with his use of the 0.15 coils. They have a much higher rating but work well at lower wattages as well. I reckon you'd be better on the 50w mark with it though for flavour and vapour production.

The juices will matter too. If you're vaping really sweet juices then the sweetener in them will gunk up your coils quicker than with the less sweet ones.

As for your re-buildable I suspect you're using a kanthal wire and running it too high on the wattage. You could try using stainless steel (SS) wire or Nichrome (Ni80) wires. They ramp up quicker and I feel that they do cool down a bit quicker too. Some people find these have a different taste though. I don't really notice a difference myself. Also make sure it's Ni80 wire and not nickel. Nickel is only for temperature control.

This is all my personal preference so hopefully others will come along and give you more advice mate.

Maybe you could get a RTA once you've built it a few times it doesnt take long to rewick and burn the coil off and quench in water to clean. You can get 180 pads organic muji cotton pads for £2.50 direct muji will last years. Just wire or pre built coils then. You can get 10 wotofo fused Clapton coils for £2.99 to get you started.

I'd suggest, to get better acquainted with what's going on inside your RTA; that you invest in an RDA, a little pack of pre-made coils (i.e. literally pieces of wire, not units that have wire plus wick in a metal surround) and some cotton and build your own, by which I mean install a bare coil and push cotton through it and drip the juice in from the top, your mod is perfectly fine for both types.

I'd suggest one of the Vandy Vape or Wotofo tubes of coils where there are say 8 of a specific type rather than one of the '37 million coils of 47 types' packs, they're not generally of great quality and a single coil can last several months or way longer, if you don't really over-zap them, just need cleaning up with a few burns and dunks in water and a bit of toothbrush action.

And you can't go wrong with a pack of cotton bacon, one pack will last several months.

The kits to rejuvenate the pre-made coil/wick units (let's call them a 'thingy' as they're not really 'coils' as the manufacturers annoyingly call them, they are coil plus wick plus a metal casing that gets in the way :)) aren't ideal, usually very fiddly with mixed results as you've found. Obviously thingies aren't really designed to be brought back to life, they're designed to make you buy more thingies.

One big advantage of an RDA/dripper is that at any time you can pull the top off and see what's going on, with a tank - even one with a bare coil inside, you have a reservoir of juice to deal with before you can get at the guts of it and if it's one that uses thingies it's even harder to see what's happening.

RDAs are a bit more faffing about than just whacking a new pre-made thingy in, but it really gets you into the nuts and bolts of it - and if you suspect you've scorched your cotton you can very easily check, and if so, clean the coil and install new cotton in under 5 minutes when you're up to speed with it, and in a very short time you'll not be scorching the cotton anyway as you'll have a much better handle on how it wicks, how long you can zap the coil for etc etc.

If you get along with the RDA (you may well find the flavour superior to the tank too...), you'll save a pretty decent amount on not buying thingies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom