What's new

Making the News again.

Budget 2023: No vaping crackdown in spring statement as Jeremy Hunt rules out disposable e-cigarettes levy
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/b...atement-jeremy-hunt-e-cigarettes-levy-2190279

Chancellor has rejected health officials bid to have new levy introduced to stop rise of vaping among under-18s
"Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has rejected calls from health officials to introduce a new levy on single use vapes in next week's Budget, i can reveal."

Yet more negative press for vaping, this time in the Guardian, with an headline of an epidemic among under age vapers and an expert suggesting all children could be vaping within 5 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...s-alarm-at-epidemic-of-vaping-among-teenagers

"He said there is “lots of evidence” to suggest that many children start vaping despite never having smoked before, meaning they are not using it as a tool to quit..."

.. meaning they are using it as a tool to not smoke.

He said: “If this was a medicine or a drug put in a tablet it would be incredibly regulated but it’s not – vaping should be regulated as a medicine. It’s a tool for adults who are addicted to cigarette smoking to quit; that’s where it should be, anything else should be stamped out ruthlessly.

FFS, Dr Mike McKean (and others) just don't get it do they.. that many people enjoy and want to use nicotine, and have done since time immemorial...

It’s a pity they don’t put as much effort in to teenage drinking of alcohol, with them getting drunk and being a menace on the streets of a night and creating a problem for the Police and Ambulance and Hospital staff.

It’s a pity they don’t put as much effort in to teenage drinking of alcohol, with them getting drunk and being a menace on the streets of a night and creating a problem for the Police and Ambulance and Hospital staff.

Alcohol is a socially accepted drug, nicotine is not.

We (people who use nicotine) are marginalised.. or at best, treated like we have some kind of illness that needs 'curing'...

Alcohol is a socially accepted drug, nicotine is not.

We (people who use nicotine) are marginalised.. or at best, treated like we have some kind of illness that needs 'curing'...
Obviously alcohol is accepted but it has certainly ruined a lot of people’s lives, teenagers included.

Obviously alcohol is accepted but it has certainly ruined a lot of people’s lives, teenagers included.

Yes; and that's the paradox I was pointing out... when you have a relatively harmless way of taking nicotine (vape/pouches etc), why are those do-gooders so opposed to it, and "appalled" by youth taking it?

Yes; and that's the paradox I was pointing out... when you have a relatively harmless way of taking nicotine (vape/pouches etc), why are those do-gooders so opposed to it, and "appalled" by youth taking it?
I think it’s all about if people are enjoying let’s try and ban it, seriously though we seem to live amongst a culture of do- gooders speaking out about subjects they know nothing about but like creating an argument for the sake of it. It’s a bit like protesters blocking motorways to stop pollution then get in a car to go home in.

i think it is easy to see this from a very blinkered perspective. but surely it’s obvious that there would be an outcry about teenagers getting addicted to anything, if you take a step back and think about it objectively?

Nothing new really we were smoking when we were 12 to 13 years old, nothing to be proud of though, loads of our generation were smoking it’s different generations trying out the latest craze.

Back
Top Bottom