What's new

Making the News again.

it’s obvious because we live in a type of society that thinks children shouldn’t be getting addicted to psychoactive stuff.

True, but society doesn't have the same kind of attitude towards youth drinking caffeinated soft drinks...

True, but society doesn't have the same kind of attitude towards youth drinking caffeinated soft drinks...

aye, but caffeine isn’t a problem for teenagers the way nicotine is, and caffeine isn’t related to smoking so the temperance mob don’t care about it.

If you look at the facts around nicotine as a substance on it's own, it is no more harmful or addictive than caffeine. The addiction to cigarettes is caused by the combination of nicotine with other chemicals such as arsenic and the other 700 + chemicals found in cigarettes.

No so when used in e-juice.

If you look at the facts around nicotine as a substance on it's own, it is no more harmful or addictive than caffeine. The addiction to cigarettes is caused by the combination of nicotine with other chemicals such as arsenic and the other 700 + chemicals found in cigarettes.

No so when used in e-juice.

“If you look at the facts around nicotine as a substance on it's own, it is no more harmful or addictive than caffeine”. -

this is true but i always think these statements should have the following addendum “when used in therapeutic doses (again like caffeine)”

Coz its deadly in high doses.
From wilipedia -

Standard textbooks, databases, and safety sheets consistently state that the lethal dose of nicotine for adults is 60 mg or less (30–60 mg), but there is overwhelming data indicating that more than 500 mg of oral nicotine is required to kill an adult.[7]

Children may become ill following ingestion of one cigarette;[8] ingestion of more than this may cause a child to become severely ill.[5][9] The nicotine in the e-liquid of an electronic cigarette can be hazardous to infants and children, through accidental ingestion or skin contact.[10] In some cases children have become poisoned by topical medicinal creams which contain nicotine.[11]

People who harvest or cultivate tobacco may experience Green Tobacco Sickness (GTS), a type of nicotine poisoning caused by skin contact with wet tobacco leaves. This occurs most commonly in young, inexperienced tobacco harvesters who do not consume tobacco.[4][12]

and caffeine :

The European Food Safety Authority reported that up to 400 mg of caffeine per day (around 5.7 mg/kg of body mass per day) does not raise safety concerns for non-pregnant adults, while intakes up to 200 mg per day for pregnant and lactating women do not raise safety concerns for the fetus or the breast-fed infants.[32] A cup of coffee contains 80–175 mg of caffeine, depending on what "bean" (seed) is used, how it is roasted (darker roasts have less caffeine), and how it is prepared (e.g., drip, percolation, or espresso).[33] Thus it requires roughly 50–100 ordinary cups of coffee to reach the toxic dose. However, pure powdered caffeine, which is available as a dietary supplement, can be lethal in tablespoon-sized amounts.

I imagine you can find contradictory stuff about nicotine from various 'experts' but here's one that says it's no more harmful than caffeine. If nicotine is dangerous why is no one calling for gum and patches to be banned.

https://www.rsph.org.uk/about-us/news/nicotine--no-more-harmful-to-health-than-caffeine-.html
Nicotine is only dangerous or to be more exact fatal if you drink copious amounts of it.
Putting it into perspective, the harmful dosage that some people state, even though its questionable that this figure is much higher, of 60mg/kg of body weight equates to roughly 3600mg of nicotine. Any device holding 2ml of 18mg nic is only 36mg of nic. You would have to vape a hundred of these in a short period of time to suffer. After a few you would vomit and not be able to continue.
Also not forgetting that the abdortion rate of nicotine into the body in cigarettes or a vape device is only about 10%.
Even drinking a nic shot of 10ml at 18mg nic strength which equates to 180mg nic is not exactly going to kill you.

I imagine you can find contradictory stuff about nicotine from various 'experts' but here's one that says it's no more harmful than caffeine. If nicotine is dangerous why is no one calling for gum and patches to be banned.

https://www.rsph.org.uk/about-us/news/nicotine--no-more-harmful-to-health-than-caffeine-.html

i’m not saying nic is harmful per se for you or i using it responsibly. but there is evidence that it’s not good for children, and that is what the thread here is about. children vaping. the idea that children vaping is okay is quite a novel one that i’ve only ever heard anyone say, or imply, on here.

Back
Top Bottom