What's new

My First Dual Coil - bit of an anticlimax

I only have regulated mods at the moment, so I can't sub-ohm (not sure I really want to even when the mechs arrive - I'm not convinced I need a hobby that requires risk assessments before I embark - I get enough of those at work).

This dripper has been pretty good on single coils - you think it makes a difference that one of the coils isn't over an air hole?

I use a 2mm drill bit to wrap my coils on. And 8 wraps of .25mm or 30awg gives you a coil around 1.7 ohms. Dual build turns out around 0.7. Even using a fully charged battery you can only really draw at most 6amps. So should be safe on pretty much any IMR battery. And yeah. Big air holes and cotton. Line your air holes up so they next to your coils and watch the clouds. And ride the wave of taste

Would it work/be better if I built a sort of double decker affair with one above the othe over the air hole?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

OK - went with the double decker type arrangement
Not sure they're close together enough to be microcoils, but they're tighter than usual

IMGP3750.jpgIMGP3752.jpg

Slightly larger screwdriver than last time, so I did 8 wraps on each and I'm getting 1.5ohms
This does seem a bit better - still not plumes, and throat hit seems more than with single coil/tanks

Might be worth a step back ...

try doing a single coil .. and really concentrating on getting those coils close together .. touching if poss (remember the pliers torch trick)

I find that micro coils have enhanced flavour and vapour and a smoother throat hit .. IE .. not so harsh

When you wrap coils you need to keep the wire tight. And wrap as close together as you can. Then gently take off the coil. Gently with a pair of tweezers squeeze together the wraps. And with a lighter. Pref a jet or torch. Heat coil. I like to hold them glowing so they oxidize. Always oxidize your wire. You'll find it less springy when wrapped and get less shorts. if done right they should stick together almost. Just be care full. Too hard on the tweezers and you'll overlap your wraps. And that's short city.

Also. Try to keep distance around 5mm from posts. You might be getting a hot spot there. Which makes the troat hit very harsh

If going for normal coil. Like the pic. Make sure the wraps are spaced evenly. Your looking for a even orange almost yellow glow all over. Try a small screwdriver on that top coil to space out those tight areas near the posts. Might make a difference to output. And looks like a couple wraps on the bottom one are touching. Could be shorting. Practise makes perfect. Soon enough you'll be chucking the vapour like a steam train lol

I used a lighter, though I don't have tweezers and I'm not sure I was able to heat them quite as much as they needed with them held in the pliers. With the second, I did get it very tight/touching, but I couldn't be sure they weren't overlapping (eyesight struggling to cope & was too lazy to get the helping hands out), so separated them a little, just to be sure

They are a lot tighter than my usual coils, though

Keep at it Fleabag, they Are worth it if you can get it going ( the microcoils ) I've never found dual to be overtly exciting TBH

My first coil I wrapped worked put nearly 5ohms. Was too strong for anything I had to heat lol. But few wraps later and was off. But agree with ZT stepping back sometimes helps. Get the new coil vaping perfect. Then step up to making two the same. Its like an art form. That gets me scratching my head muttering FFS sometimes.

I've been single coiling the dripper for ages and am happy with the results, also recoiled all my Kanger tanks with cotton & all work like a charm. It's not that I can't get a working coil, it's just that the dual coil was such a disappointment

Back
Top Bottom