What's new

My First Dual Coil - bit of an anticlimax

I've been single coiling the dripper for ages and am happy with the results, also recoiled all my Kanger tanks with cotton & all work like a charm. It's not that I can't get a working coil, it's just that the dual coil was such a disappointment

Watch this about 9 mins in.
Heat your kanthal before you start. I usually fire it on the mod to get the final squeeze done. Fire up, release the button before touching with tweezers/pliers. Have your device on the highest setting to do this.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been single coiling the dripper for ages and am happy with the results, also recoiled all my Kanger tanks with cotton & all work like a charm. It's not that I can't get a working coil, it's just that the dual coil was such a disappointment

The bigger the wire, the slower it heats. That's the benefit of micros, they heat quicker because the winding also heats the one next to it.
Another way is higher current via lower ohms, but that won't work on an MVP.

I suspect these micro-coils might be easier with thicker wire. I only have .2 kanthal

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

I think I will video the wife making hers she does a fantastic job far better than me or I might just be lazy she got it first time im still learning but flat metal tweezers do wonders keep at it.

sent from my note3 while spinning da tunes

I suspect these micro-coils might be easier with thicker wire. I only have .2 kanthal

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

If you are dual coiling, you need small wire for higher ohms, as when in parallel, the resistence is halved.
Bear in mind that wicking is just as important. If your cotton is too thick, when it swells, it strangles the flow.
I'm in Manchester, if you want to meet for some help. I'm no Rip-tripper, but I seem to do ok.

Edit: Just remembered I'm blind without my table magnifier! Have you got owt?

Last edited:
@<a href="http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=7035" target="_blank">Fleabag</a>

Have a look in here

http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/f...rba-overview-build-(clone)?highlight=dip+wick

Thats a dual coil atty set up with micro coils and cotton. Ignore the wire thickness, I use that as I want very low resistance. Thats what your aiming for with a micro coil.

A picture paints a thousand words, heres dual micro coils with mesh

Thats a very very sub ohm build, .2ohm it will set thr juice alight if the wicks dry out too much.....

Works well though

Now.

That dripper. It looks like the air is fed from a single tube in between the posts, dual coils would need to be stacked rather than side by side to get the air where it needs to be ie right over the coils. In that dripper I would suggest a single micro coil between the posts would give the best results in terms of flavour and vapour.

Here's a picture of micro coils under construction

I dont bother torching before I install now. I fit them, use the mod to heat, release button and carefully pinch. DO NOT PINCH WITH THE BUTTON PRESSED, EVER. You'll short your device out, bad on a vw, really bad on a mech.

I'm trying to find the other thread I've posted up, its a duplicate of this thread

http://www.thevapingforum.com/Thread-How-do-you-dip-yer-wick

http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php/31684-how-do-you-dip-your-wick

Found it

But I cant find it sorry. I'm in wigan if you ever want a look at some builds or need a quick pointer somewhere but its all going to be pretty simple to you tbh, if you can mix you can easily coil.

Try this video too, he's irritating but his guides are very very good

[video]Micro Coil On A Trident RDA - YouTube[/video]

Last edited:
Tagging not working @Fleabag

Thanks loads for that. I'm OK at regular coiling (dripper and Kangers), but struggling with the next step. I did find it easier pinching after firing on the mod than messing around before I installed it.

Had a bugger of a job trying to get a decent coil with decent resistance on my new AGA T3 this evening (really wanted to use cotton, but that just wasn't going to happen!) - I've recently been made painfully aware that I need greater variety of gauge Kanthal, as 3 wraps for 2.1ohm isn't ideal.

Having said that, vaping like a steam train now!

So new and creative coils for the dripper are shelved for a few days while I enjoy the RBA (and figure out how to improve the coils on that).

Mr Fleabag started a new job today that will base him in Wigan 4 days per week

Thanks loads for that. I'm OK at regular coiling (dripper and Kangers), but struggling with the next step. I did find it easier pinching after firing on the mod than messing around before I installed it.

Had a bugger of a job trying to get a decent coil with decent resistance on my new AGA T3 this evening (really wanted to use cotton, but that just wasn't going to happen!) - I've recently been made painfully aware that I need greater variety of gauge Kanthal, as 3 wraps for 2.1ohm isn't ideal.

Having said that, vaping like a steam train now!

So new and creative coils for the dripper are shelved for a few days while I enjoy the RBA (and figure out how to improve the coils on that).

Mr Fleabag started a new job today that will base him in Wigan 4 days per week

There is a solution to your wire problem.....
Torch a length more than twice what you'd normally use.
Double it over and pinch the ends together, then put a screwdriver or allen key in the middle. Tension and twist the two together like rope.

This will half the resistance of your kanthal.
I used to do that before I got a selection of gauges.

Nice. Tell him galloways pies rock.

Which rba did you get?

For kanthal. I was using .25 for pretty much everything but as I got into mechs I found I needed .3 and I now use .45 which is the fence wire you see in the above pictures.

The thicker wire is much much easier to work with, you still need to torch it before coiling but its very workable.

One thing you will love is ribbon, it givrd great flavour and good wick coverage for your resistance, I'm using two of these in a dripper and I'm really impressed

Here's the video

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbu8ESqgcr8[/video]

Back
Top Bottom