What's new

No Corona deaths for 4 days in scotland

it did not.
Three deaths reported today.

It was inevitable really, I think there's something like 360 people in hosptial with the virus in Scotland (I'm sure I'll be corrected with updated figures) the chances of all those making it through are sadly unlikely. It isn't any 'better' if 7 those people die on the same day in 7 days time or one dies a day for 7 days is it? All politicians are being really dishonest about the situation.

Personally I have thought for a month, or two now that Nicola Sturgeon has been trying to play a stupid game of "oneupmanship" against Boris Johnson.
This time she jumped the gun.........

Probably no point in me posting this as your mind is made up..... nonetheless, something to consider... perhaps, just perhaps you may be wrong.

You would lol

So if it was the other way round and our gov had totally fucked up the situation do you really think your shower wouldnt close the border..

Well unless you know something I don't, then she has not closed the border with Scotland (only threatened to) so your comment is somewhat irrelevant.

You also imply that the UK gov has fucked the situation up.
Would Sturgeon (if she had been the PM) fared any better, I doubt it.
There is so much talk of the UK gov having done wrong with this, and wrong with that.
No one can say in reality, as that is hindsight.
The fact is that no one knows what would have been the right approach, in this country, or any other, as in modern times no one has ever been faced with a viral attack of this enormity.
Even in countries that were being held up as shining example of how things should be handled are now having sporadic outbreaks.

My main point has been throughout this virus situation the leaders of this country, the Cabinet, the opposition parties, and all the devolved governments should have been united on policy at this time.
But Sturgeon (not the Scottish) seems to be intent on taking up an opposite stance to the UK government.

Boris thouroughly fucked the whole thing up and you know it Bez.
It has been a total shitshow from start up til now.
No doubt you will break my post down and analyse it, but the truth
of the matter is he fucked up.

Probably no point in me posting this as your mind is made up..... nonetheless, something to consider... perhaps, just perhaps you may be wrong.

I never dismiss anything out of hand, whether in my general life, or my personal life, and so have watched this carefully.
So just a few comments.

What was the original question posed to Sturgeon ?
The video starts with her answer, so it is difficult to understand the context of her response.

If she is simply, as she says, looking after the health of Scottish residents why bring Leicester in her response, and talk quickly about the lockdown only being on the city itself, and not in the surrounding areas (the whole of Leicestershire I presume)
Why did she talk about "constitutional issues" if she does not think there are any, or was she trying to distance herself from that issue.

Sorry mate, but you have not convinced me, if anything you have made me fell even more that she is furthering her own ambitions.

Boris thouroughly fucked the whole thing up and you know it Bez.
No doubt you will break my post down and analyse it, but the truth
of the matter is he fucked up.

Don't agree with you on that, please see an extract of my post #23

"There is so much talk of the UK gov having done wrong with this, and wrong with that.
No one can say in reality, as that is hindsight.
The fact is that no one knows what would have been the right approach, in this country, or any other, as in modern times no one has ever been faced with a viral attack of this enormity.
Even in countries that were being held up as shining example of how things should be handled are now having sporadic outbreaks."

That's it simply.
No need to analyse what you have said.

Do you think you could have managed it better ?

I think I could actually given hindsight.
I would have told everyone they had to stay indoors, at home until further notice, with sheets draped over them from head to toe.
The Army would have been deployed to drop food parcels off to you every few days, including bottled water.
Most utility companies would have been closed to stop infection travelling, so the electricity, gas, etc would be cut off.
The Army would also have been empowered to shoot anybody they found out of their homes.
Would have had the virus under control very quickly, I have to admit there would have been some collateral damage, people already in hospital, care homes, prisons, etc but it would have protected the rest of the citizens, and could not be directly said they died from Covid 19.......................................

Is it because BlowJo wants to get the pubs open sooner

Not at all, he want's all business'es to start to return to normal, as best they can at the moment, before mass unemployment starts, and the country has no industry left.

Of course the pubs opening is a bonus for me. :)

Now if your mate Nicola want's to lead her country into bankruptcy, depression, and deeper mental health issues, that's up to her. But I'm glad I live this side of the border. :)

Clearly a much better strategy in Scotland than in England.

I disagree. You're comparing apples with oranges.

Yes, Scotland is a country in it's own right, but is still part of the UK, has a devolved government with limited powers, and is heavily reliant on Westminster for finance.

It has the same population as Yorkshire, of which nearly 10% were born in England, and one of the lowest population densities in the UK. (Central belt an exception).

It also has one of the lowest % BAME populations in the UK, has no international hub airports, nor underground railways.

It's easier to control a highly contagious disease in a sparsely populated 5.5M than a more densly populated 56M.

...but it can't be that simple.

Quite right, it's not simple at all. It's unprecedented. Every country has made mistakes handling covid-19. Some have made a lot of mistakes.

Good points made above already. Another factor I think is population density. England is so much more densely populated than Scotland, it’s really quite bizarre that UK Gov have relaxed things there first.

I agree, but think that it comes down to money. "Whatever it takes" was the early mantra. Now the realisation is sinking in that we're all gonna be paying for this for decades.

I can't help but think how many £££s have been wasted on fake PPE from Turkey, Chinese respirators that don't meet EU standards, Track and Trace apps that aren't fit for purpose, stock piled PPE that's out of date, testing kits that were sent to the USA that took so long that they were invalidated,emegency Nightingale hospitals, (NHS Louisa Jordan in Glasgow), that were never used, I could go on...and on....and on.

Your always gonna have these elements in society, complete Dickwads who don't give a toss about anyone, I have been on lockdown a few years now due to health reasons and in all honesty i thank god sometimes that i am the way i am, i don't want some ignorant dickhead infecting me. I just hope that something is being done so more innocents don't have to die, there has been far too much death already.

Totally agree. And where I come from they're 'Cockwombles'. ;)

Now you just need to close the border with England :16:

Scotland's reliance on tourism, especially with the falling price of Brent crude oil, means that will never happen.

Personally I have thought for a month, or two now that Nicola Sturgeon has been trying to play a stupid game of "oneupmanship" against Boris Johnson.
This time she jumped the gun.........

You've hit the nail right on the head. Ever since wee Jimmy Nipoleon started sneaking out of COBR meetings early to make annoucements and claim the credit.

She's still making daily TV appearances up here, and kept the first covid-19 outbreak in Scotland, at a Nike conference in Edinburgh in February, a secret.

SNP have also encouraged all local Scottish governments to put their staff on furlough, so paid by Westminster, not Edinburgh, and totally at odds to what furlough was supposed to be for. Small businesses, independent shops, self employed, those that really need it. Not state employees and civil servants.

She's a scheming, devious, conniving one-trick-pony. Her raison d'être is independence, by any means, simple as that.

And the irony is ?

Labour need the Scottish vote to win a General Election. Whilst the SNP hold power in Scotland, Labour will never have power in Westminster, giving free reign to Boris & Co.

All politicians are being really dishonest about the situation.

100% true. At least we don't live in Brazil, Russia, or the US.

... perhaps, just perhaps you may be wrong.

Likewise, just perhaps you may be wrong. :hmm:

My main point has been throughout this virus situation the leaders of this country, the Cabinet, the opposition parties, and all the devolved governments should have been united on policy at this time.
But Sturgeon (not the Scottish) seems to be intent on taking up an opposite stance to the UK government.

“Hear, hear!”, and not just Jimmy Nip, all of the devolved governments. It's been a frigging tennis match and points scoring exercise from the very beginning.

I'm ashamed to say that I have to agree with you, @Social Misfit.

I voted Tory in December. :oops2:

Still convinced that a Corbyn lead Labour government would've been bigger, more costly, cockwombles.

I never dismiss anything out of hand, whether in my general life, or my personal life, and so have watched this carefully.
Sorry mate, but you have not convinced me, if anything you have made me feel even more that she is furthering her own ambitions.

Sentence 1 - excellent attitude to have.
Sentence 2 - 100% correct.

Wait till the provebial hits the fan after lockdown when Salmond takes her to court, that's the real reason she's stringing this out. That, and she likes being on the tele every, every, every day.

Is it because BlowJo wants to get the pubs open sooner

Perhaps, but behind that is a necessity to put funds back into the public coffers, rather than borrowing, so that Westminster can continue to finacially prop up the devolved governments.

None of which could fiscally sustain themselves.

So just a few comments.

What was the original question posed to Sturgeon ?
The video starts with her answer, so it is difficult to understand the context of her response.

If she is simply, as she says, looking after the health of Scottish residents why bring Leicester in her response, and talk quickly about the lockdown only being on the city itself, and not in the surrounding areas (the whole of Leicestershire I presume)
Why did she talk about "constitutional issues" if she does not think there are any, or was she trying to distance herself from that issue.

Sorry mate, but you have not convinced me, if anything you have made me fell even more that she is furthering her own ambitions.

The question was about the cross- border quarantine row, as you had suggested is a political one-upmanship contest "This is public health. The fact that some are trying to turn this into a kind of standard political, constitutional row, is frankly disgraceful.”
Leicester was mentioned as an example as it could also happen here in say Dumfries and Galloway
Not looking to get you to change your mind fella, as I know that is impossible, just providing some evidence on it..... did you take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror as she suggests?

Back
Top Bottom