What's new

Noobish question - Sub-Ohm, Nic Salt, DL Vaping

Gergy95

First post, I feel there's not a lot of people in the situation I'm in, as I can't find much information on it

Bit of a timeline on how I got into vaping (TL;DR below):

• From about 18 Smoked rolled tobacco on and off for a few years, MTL "Social smoker", nights out and stuff when I was young. Liked chatting and rolling when outside.
  • Got a Smok Mag and started vaping 0mg with one friend about 6 years ago for fun, liked the Heisenberg flavours. Would rip though a full tank then forget about it. Learned quickly DL vaping got bigger clouds.
  • Skip forward couple of years
  • Started "Social smoking" rollies again at work, as everyone was out smoking on breaks and I would get bored. Lasted about 4 months, forgot about it again
  • Skip forward 3 years, stress at work, started smoking, got a pack of tobacco and ripped though 25g at a music festival, officially started regular smoking.
  • Didn't want family to see me start smoking, Hated the smell, the taste, got my old Smok Mag out, new batteries, cleaned it, new coils, 3mg liquids. Was doing this minimum for a year - Within couple of months moved to shortfills and couple of nic shots. 120w 6mg liquids most of the time.
  • Smok Mag breaks, fed up of leaks and messy coil changes - End up on increasingly powerful disposables for 2 years. Was buying wholesale to save money. They're so much easier in comparison.
  • Recently decided it's super expensive - not much cheaper than smoking rollies - Got a Smok Nord Pro and some disposable flavoured 20mg nic salts as a happy medium & so I don't have a fat heavy vape with me at work all day

TL;DR Gone from disposable 2% vapes to Smok Nord Pro to save money and not carry a huge vape
I currently vape 20mg nic salts, DL, on a 0.6ohm tiny smok coil, they don't seem to be lasting very long.

Is there anyone that does the same, or knows how I can get a bit more life out of the coils? I tried a 0.9Ohm but it died pretty quick, less than a week or so. The 0.6Ohm last a bit longer, about a week before it starts to taste like crispy lungs.

What's the best coil for this style? I really like the nic salts, they are so much smoother... but I'm also a DL vaper. I can easily chug a (2ml?) full Nord Pro Pod with 20mg in a day, without getting nic sick. When you look up DL vaping nic salts, the answer is "you will get nic sick very quick" rather than advice about which coils or a different style of setup that's better suited, I plan to start cutting down on nicotine as I do still like vaping and I enjoy it.

Or maybe just tell me how much of a monster I am for subohm DLing 20mg nic salts

Personally I don't get on with salts I must be intolerant to them or something.
To me they are way harsher on the throat than freebase.

That being said I've seen in various retailers salt nic shots for shortfills, if you want to dl Salt nic I'm pretty sure that's your way forward.

As for fast burning coils it's more often than not juices that are the problem, deserts and custards have been known to blacken a coil within hours, similar with heavily sweetened flavours.

Some exceptions I've found over the years.

Ivg Summer blaze 70/30 (the 50/50 tastes just as nice but is a coil killer)

Anarchist pink lemonade or mango both 70/30

More recently, mix labs disposable inspired shortfills, this one is 50/50

All 3 are shortfill so you can add salts if you want and I've found them to be relatively good for coil life.

The issue that some people have with Nic Salts is they try to DTL them usually at higher wattage. I know a few people who have done this including myself when i first started. Everyone i have spoken to regarding Salts have now switched to MTL and enjoy them, i myself was getting Headaches and feeling Dog rough, proper Nausea then did the same, switched to MTL with Salts. At that time i was mainly DTL and thought MTL was crap and you didn't get a decent vape, I started vaping MTL a few months ago and now prefer it to DTL plus i don't go through as much Juice, i do still like Mesh DTL but don't vape it as much now.

IMG_20221002_220552.jpg

@Gergy95

Vaping 2ml of 20mg Salts in a day isn't really excessive - and I suspect you aren't getting nic sick because you aren't chain vaping if a 2ml tank lasts you a day.

When I vape MTL I use 20mg salts at 20 Watts in a tank with a fairly loose airflow - it doesn't make me nic sick because I get my nicotine fix in 5 or 6 hits and then tend to leave the vape alone for half an hour or so. If I absent mindely chained vaped it 20mg will make me feel slightly light-headed, if ignore the warnings and keep hitting the vape it would make me feel bilious. If I find an MTL juice I really like I will look for it in 10mg as I know I will be more prone to chain vaping it, but generally I stick to 20mg as it gets the job done pretty quickly.

Unfortunately with any stock coil or replaceable pod system, life expectancy of coils/pods is always an issue particularly with sweet flavoured MTL salt juices.. One answer is looking at a rebuildable tank as coiling wires and cotton is much cheaper overall, however - you have to buy tools and learning how to build a rebuildable tank without it leaking or dry hitting can be a lengthy, tedious process - and hardly anyone gets it right first time. I have been using rebuildables for 5 years and although I'm fairly confident now I own a few tanks that I still don't get right 50% of the time. Another downside is they can leak in your pocket if they aren't kept upright

Replacement coils/pods can become an issue, but it is still cheaper than buying rolling tobacco as 50g of Golden Vig is knocking the £30 mark. I'd either try to change to juice with less sweeteners to make the coils last longer or stick with the sweet stuff and just accept the coil costs.

I know you weren't asking about rebuildable stuff - but I recommend you look into one for home use and stick with pods/stock coils when you're away from home.

Welcome to the planet.

Back
Top Bottom