What's new

Ohm/m ohm/ft confusion

7e951b92a9fd4f153dcf96ccccc87cb4.gif

guess whos me

3.28ohm per foot, divide by 12 to get per inch & multiply that number by the number of inches per coil (ave 3 to 4 inches) will give you coil resistance approximation.

If im reading it correctly

Resistance= length/area
Resistivity = resistance*area/length

I now no longer comprehend this concept and dont want to think about it anymore

Edit: i dont understand that equation at all

Ok, back to the original question, if i just switch the foot and the meters in that calculator, in my head, that would make it work

Unless someones response is yes/no or a link to a working calculator, please dont respond because this is a game i no longer want to play

Last edited:
Edit: i dont understand that equation at all

Ok, back to the original question, if i just switch the foot and the meters in that calculator, in my head, that would make it work

Unless someones response is yes/no or a link to a working calculator, please dont respond because i have a headache now and this is a game i no longer want to play
Good calculator and info here...

http://www.steam-engine.org/

... but it might make your headache worse. :)

Good Luck.

Good calculator and info here...

http://www.steam-engine.org/

... but it might make your headache worse. :)

Good Luck.
Im well aware of steam engine, it doesnt have any sort of way to convert something like that...its cool, like i said, its really no big deal anyway, if im gonna buy a spool that isnt awg, its gonna probably only be an alien or fused clapton, and its gonna be based on the cores and the wrap.

In my head tho, that wire calculator i was looking at simply has the feet and meters backwards or is being used for some other purpose (something like the current needed for 1 ft of wire to equal the current of one meter of wire)

If im reading it correctly

Resistance= length/area
Resistivity = resistance*area/length

I now no longer comprehend this concept and dont want to think about it anymore
Cant tell you exactly what but something crucial is missing from the above as if correct
identical wires of copper steel and nickel for example would all have the same resistance and resistivity! which we all know to be untrue.

take a break today, revisit tomorrow with a clear head and start with basic electronics primers if you need to know..

Absolutely agreed, there is no reference to the material.

Those posts about resistivity were actually just in response to gnomes comment about resistance vs resistivity and my not even knowing what the definition of the word even meant.

I get the difference, its just the term used when referring to the resistance per foot while the resistance that shows on the mod is the final product (made from a wire with that resistivity).

Its just a wierd definition, shame on u google. But combined it was all to mnch info to input to my brain all at once and the fuse blew, lol

Doesnt matter tho, i should have just stopped at @nwhornet post. Its like centimeters to inches, simply divide or multiply everything by 3.28 using the regular old calculator on my phone (i already know what my target RESISTIVITY is)

^^^my new word for the day^^^

Last edited:
Resistivity is a measure of the resistance of a given size of a specific material to electrical conduction.

Resistivity may also be referred to as the specific electrical resistance, or volume resistivity, although these terms are less widely used.
https://www.electronics-notes.com/a...ty is a measure of,terms are less widely used.

had to look that up. as its never come up since olevels..
Fwiw My understanding remains identical to yours as in the OP of this thread..

Back
Top Bottom