What's new

Ohm/m ohm/ft confusion

Jd_

Achiever
Im looking at a calculator that does the conversion and according to it
1ohm/m = 3.28084ohm/ft

This seems backwards to me, is this correct?

Shouldnt the longer wire have more resistance?
As in to achieve 1ohm/ft, 3.28084 feet of the wire would need to have 3.28084ohms of resistance

There are 3.28... feet in a metre so your conversion looks correct.

Yeah, but shouldnt it be 1 divided by 3.28 (about .30)

As in if 1ft has .30 ohms of resistance then 3.28 ft would have 1 ohm of resistance?

As in if 1ft has .30 ohms of resistance then 3.28 ft would have 1 ohm of resistance?
Ah! The ohm.meter is a measure of Resistivity which is not the same as Resistance.
I'm not qualified to explain it.
If you use a coil calculator such as Steam Engine it'll do Resistance per unit length which is not the same as the ohm.meter thingy.

Im looking at a calculator that does the conversion and according to it
1ohm/m = 3.28084ohm/ft

This seems backwards to me, is this correct?

Shouldnt the longer wire have more resistance?
As in to achieve 1ohm/ft, 3.28084 feet of the wire would need to have 3.28084ohms of resistance

Should be 1ohm/m = 0.328ohm/ft

Ah! The ohm.meter is a measure of Resistivity which is not the same as Resistance.
I'm not qualified to explain it.
If you use a coil calculator such as Steam Engine it'll do Resistance per unit length which is not the same as the ohm.meter thingy.
Ok, apples and oranges

Should be 1ohm/m = 0.328ohm/ft

Ok, so when looking at a spool of wire thats rated at say 3.28 ohms per foot, that would be equivalent to a spool of wire rated at 1 ohm per meter because its not measuring a resistance, its measuring a resistivity?

What is the calculator you mentioned for?

Usually for coil resistance this is a simple conversion. 1 ohm per foot = 3.28 ohms per metre, as you originally assumed in your OP.

1. The resistance is the ratio of the length and cross-section area of the conductor, whereas the resistivity of the material is the ratio of the product of the resistance and area to the length of the conductor.
Ok, now my head hurts. If i ever need to buy a spool of wire solely by resistivity i'm just gonna ask

Back
Top Bottom