What's new

rethinking flavour

I'm 46.
I know people much younger than me.
Some of them like some pretty nasty juice in my eyes.
Maybe sweets of today are nothing like sweets of yesteryear?
Thats what i tell myself anyway.

Off topic but I had this conversation with my wife just yesterday. I'm 45 and loved sour sweets when I was little. But the only ones you could really get were soor plooms, green sour balls of boiled sweets, might just be a Scottish thing. Now you can get sweets called toxic waste, stuff that almost turns your face inside out with the sheer sourness of it. I can't stand it now but would have absolutely loved it as a kid.

Trying to make a sweet liquid without 'sweetener' is like trying to make something wet without water.

An interesting challenge but utterly pointless.

Trying to make a sweet liquid without 'sweetener' is like trying to make something wet without water.

I know what you mean, it's like when I make a plum pie, do I need added sugar, of course I do, it's bloody horrible without. If I wanted to make a plum pie juice, I would consider what goes into a plum pie, and there is added sugar, unless of course one has a (rather) sweet Plum concentrate :hmm:

You're wrong or use different flavour houses than me.
I dont own any sweetners and some of my recipies are very sweet.
Have you tried any of my recipies?

Hmm, so people who detest or merely dislike sweeteners are getting them anyway, but obviously adding a sweetener on top is like throwing fuel on the fire. Commercially produced liquid, based on many juices I've tried, seems to be loaded with sweeteners, hence to me, my 0.50% super sweet seems quite minimal in comparison.

Edit; keep getting ninja'd but leaving the comment as is.

i think when the word “sweetener” is used it refers to the specific things known as artificial sweeteners. there are things that have a sweet taste that aren’t in the category of “sweetener”.

FA, for example, state that none of their concentrates contain sweeteners. but they do have some concentrates that taste sweet.

You're wrong or use different flavour houses than me.
I dont own any sweetners and some of my recipies are very sweet.
Have you tried any of my recipies?

They are sweet because they have sweetener in, what do you think makes a caramel flavour taste sweet? ... sweeteners.

If you use 4 or 5 sweet flavourings in a recipe then there's a ton of sweeteners in the liquid. ... probably more or as much using 4 or 5 non-sweet flavours and then adding 0.5% of separate sweeteners. There's no difference.

I think you are just fooling yourself that it's something different.

It's like trying to make a nutty flavour without using nut flavours.... carry on if that's your thing. :D

i think when the word “sweetener” is used it refers to the specific things known as artificial sweeteners. there are things that have a sweet taste that aren’t in the category of “sweetener”.

FA, for example, state that none of their concentrates contain sweeteners. but they do have some concentrates that taste sweet.

that's either just semantics or they are just using 'sweetener' to mean 'sucralose'

..how do you make a flavour like Marshmallow without putting sweet tasting artificial compounds in it? ... and what are they if they aren't 'artifical sweeteners' ?

I think it's all bollocks, to be honest. :D

Back
Top Bottom