What's new

Review Review of the E-ray style 88watt mod

vapee

Initiate
eray88wattmod.png

Hi, I received the mod from GearBest for purposes of review, its an 88 watt mod in the style of the e-ray with features similar to the hex ohm mods. It was a sample model so might not be the cleanest inside, had to clean the battery area a bit before use and gave the outside a quick wipe down too.

Available currently for $87.14 at E RAY Style 88W Box Mod-86.81 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Its a very unique looking mod and the original is quite rare with only 888 made, theres also not many of the "styled" versions available too apparently.

Its definitely one of the most ergonomic box mods around that also looks stylish with clean lines, no gaps in the body and solid construction.

It takes 2x 18650s in series and is powered by the TI16 chip aka PTH08T220/221W chip by Texas Instruments which is the same one used in the original.

Fires down to 0.3 ohms
reverse threaded 510 centre pin
Theres no screen or buttons for changing voltage or wattage on the outside of the mod, just the fire button. Adjustment is done in volts however by slipping the cover down a few cms to reveal the screen and potentiometer. It seems to adjust from 3-5.55 volts, however the screen gets brighter as the volts go up and its possible it may even go slightly lower than 3 volts. Voltage is displayed to 2 decimals places too.

The switch is a 16amp one
weight is 217g without batteries made from solid aluminium.
The battery door and cover o the other side appear to be aluminium too that have been painted.
It has a flat dc signal and no pulsing was noticed that would affect the vape.

insideeraybatteries.jpg

The cover slides along from the bottom about a few cm in and sits good when slid up to the top. On the reverse is a similar looking cover than can be removed bu unscrewing 2 screws that hold the battery sled to the mod and outer cover. Theres also a few vent slots towards the top of the cover just over where the chip is mounted presumable to keep the chip cool.

The button is not the clicky type but relatively "squishy" in comparison, but seems good to press and does not stick out too much.

As its not a fully regulated mod theres some protection but not everything other mods have. It has over current and temperature protection but does not seem to have a cutoff and no switch to shut off the mod. Also a screwdriver is needed to change voltage, however it does come with a decent sized screwdriver to do that.

The mod definitely has a mech appeal and would be a great collectors piece as its quite rare to see, maybe not an every day mod at least when out and about. Its best feature is the look of the mod as well as being very comfortable to hold. There may not be as many safety features as fully regulated mods but with the design of it, it also won't slip out of your hand!

It came with a case too :)

1437616679780-P-2868836.jpg

The batteries sit in quite tight so it can be tricky to remove them, I found that I had to use a screwdriver to prop 1 out and then could take the other one out easier, but it might be good to put some kind of ribbon under them to make it easier. At least you know the springs are very strong! I found the easiest to prop them out was the top side of the right batery from the above pic where theres a small gap, trying to avoid touching or scratching any metal parts.

toperay.png

erayleft.jpg

I tried to see if the venting could be done through the chip and through that vent but was not sure, potentially it could through the screen area/potentiometer but then noticed theres a slight gap between the bottom of the battery cover and the mod which I used to light to check.

erayventgap.png

With the cover in place but slid down a few cms some light passes through the gap there so it seems that its not fully sealed in case of venting.

So its been a nice mod to use and feels great in the hand, definitely nice to look at too :)
The original has some logos but this version does not which some may prefer even. Not exactly a mod for beginners as some knowledge or experience with other mods would be helpful.

Always use with high drain batteries that are matched together and kept in pairs, possibly in an xtar or other trusted charger.

Have fun!

eraymodfront.png

Back
Top Bottom