What's new

Server outages

junglist

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry all, server gone again this morning. Still trying to work out what it is that's killing it each morning at about 6.30...

What's a "cron"?
Scheduled jobs set to run at a predetermined time... can hang or stress database.

Edit: often cron jobs leave a report, wonder if that may throw a light on which function is causing issues, if any?

I look after a few Linux/Unix boxes do web things. There's been some weird activity in the early mornings recently. Wouldn't call them DOS attacks, but a massive flurry of exploits all run one after the other. My boxes use Django/uWSGI/Nginx and have weathered the storms - they seem to be looking for cgi explots

I look after a few Linux/Unix boxes do web things. There's been some weird activity in the early mornings recently. Wouldn't call them DOS attacks, but a massive flurry of exploits all run one after the other. My boxes use Django/uWSGI/Nginx and have weathered the storms - they seem to be looking for cgi explots

Greetings fellow Python person [emoji322]

Yeah it's an odd one - we have looked at some crons and can't see an obvious candidate. Servers been running fine for ages, crapped out last week so we did some software updates and rebooted and it's crapped out every morning since then. Back on a decent internet connection now so will have a butchers.

There we go apes - if you can see this post then you are seeing the site on a swanky new server. It's a good upgrade in terms of hardware and running off a single machine now instead on one for the web server and one for the database so that should help increase speed too.

Big up to @OccultScientist for sorting out a load of dev work to get it working on PHP7 (another massive speed boost) and also for implementing a new nginx front end to take the load off apache. Early days as need to see what happens when we get higher levels of traffic etc but the site is a hell of a lot quicker for me from here.

There we go apes - if you can see this post then you are seeing the site on a swanky new server. It's a good upgrade in terms of hardware and running off a single machine now instead on one for the web server and one for the database so that should help increase speed too.

Big up to @OccultScientist for sorting out a load of dev work to get it working on PHP7 (another massive speed boost) and also for implementing a new nginx front end to take the load off apache. Early days as need to see what happens when we get higher levels of traffic etc but the site is a hell of a lot quicker for me from here.
I'm doing a little dance of joy...

Back
Top Bottom