What's new

Should pods be standardised?

all this stuff again about people who work long hours makes me think there is something else going on here. i work long hours. i think there are many others here who also do.

It wouldnt be a short sighted move for manufacturers at all (to not do it)

doing it would end up with there only being one manufacturer - because all the rest cant be arsed to make them any more - thus limiting choice - and that manufacturer who has tge one pod design would likely be bought out by big tobacco or big pharma - thus playing us right back in to the hands of those guys.

the short sighted thing to do would be to stiffle innovation by limiting what can be made.

With everyone driving Lada's

the 4x4 ladas were pretty good

They were rough as fk though...I worked with a farmers wife who had one...the farm had fallen on hard times, she had to go to find work and the Lada doubled up as their tractor...shit on roads, but in the fields it did the job at least for them.

Lada's are Russian aren't they? The probably build them in the same factories where they build their tanks.

It wouldnt be a short sighted move for manufacturers at all (to not do it)

doing it would end up with there only being one manufacturer - because all the rest cant be arsed to make them any more - thus limiting choice - and that manufacturer who has tge one pod design would likely be bought out by big tobacco or big pharma - thus playing us right back in to the hands of those guys.

the short sighted thing to do would be to stiffle innovation by limiting what can be made.

this takes us back to the discussion we had before about cables. i don’t really want or need a new iphone, but i’m actually thinking about it so’s it can have a usb c port. my work phone, work laptop and macbook air all now work on usb c. and for a person with a need for simplicity like myself this is brilliant. no more stupid proprietary cables and hopefully soon we will arrive at a single standard usb c cable that can meet every need.

none of the devices exhibit any discernible difference in operation to me, the end user, on account of their adoption of usb c for power and data transfer. i have to say this was a great move by those EU bureaucrats :)

following @MarylinC37 ’s logic i should be using disposables. but there you go. :)

As you say, using USB-C was about putting the consumer first and making things more straightforward for people rather than protecting manufacturers profit margins.

No manufacturer is going to like having their profit being cut into so it required legislation to put ordinary people first and force the manufacturers to implement a single type of connector.

I think this situation is exactly the same. By buying disposables people are voting in their masses for something to vape which doesn't have all the complication.

Although we all want to see the back of disposables you have to give all those disposable users something to replace it which is equally straightforward and simple to use or you run the risk of losing all those masses of people either back to cigarettes or towards the unsafe black market disposables.

Standardising fitment would open the flood gates for knock off replacement pods.

Several Chinese manufacturers adopted the Smok TFV8 standard fitment coil (5 to 7 years ago). This resulted in so many fakes being produced that you couldn't even trust high street vape shops not to have decent stock as their distributors would (accidentally?) supply them with fakes.

Compatible coil threads were a regular thing back then - there are probably a few still skulking around in the cobwebby corners of this, and other, sites but they don't seem to be relevant these days as the manufacturers seem to have gone for proprietary coils as uniform fitment obviously did nothing for their profits.

The companies that make and distribute these disposable abominations absolutely knew what the the end result would be, and they all decided that immediate profits were more desirable and made the decision to churn them out in the millions pocket the profits and fuck the consequences approach. Every American big name reviewer/influencer routinely promotes them with regular reviews because they knew that if they didn't their finances would dry up, so they sold out..

The people that buy these abominations don't give a fuck about toxic chemicals going to landfill or any of the other problems - they are the vaping equivalent of the arseholes that wind down their window and dump the contents of their ashtray into a car park.

As I've already stated, manufacturers are interested in immediate profitability and compatibility between every manufacturer's devices would jeopardise this. USB C adoption is one thing, but how about all the replacements of other electrical items that aren't interchangeable - air and water filters, vacuum bags/filters etc.

The manufacturers that acre currently churning out Ds will be looking at the 'problem' of their diminishing profits and trying to come up with a replacement that is cheap enough to attract their current customers. I'm thinking along the lines of the cheapest possible pressed plastic 'mod' that is pretty much identical to the current plastic battery housing of a d, but in a drab (non child attracting) colour with a USB charging port (which will cost pennies) and a separate plug in non refillable pod. IF it is financially viable and can be sold in numerous countries.

Personally I don't care about our current disposable users - if they go back to cigarettes then GOOD. Fuck them, fuck the shops that sold them and fuck the manufacturers. It will just be more cigarette butts thrown in the streets instead of bright plastic flammable and toxic items that brings negative attention to vapers as a whole. I don't feel I should have some obscure higher moral purpose that cares for the people that couldn't give a fuck about anyone else. Fuck them.

The worst thing about this IMO is pretty much every article I've read on disposables says the same thing "FLAVOURS LIKE .... THAT APPEAL TO CHILDREN.

I couldn't give a shit about the ignorant arseholes that use Ds. But I care an awful lot about the ammunition they have given to the 'protect the kids' brigade and it was obvious that they would include flavourings and totally ignore the reality that the majority of adults buy fruit and desert flavours.

In the long term I'm concerned about this being used as ammunition for flavour bans. And nothing else.

Last edited:
Standardising fitment would open the flood gates for knock off replacement pods.

Several Chinese manufacturers adopted the Smok TFV8 standard fitment coil (5 to 7 years ago). This resulted in so many fakes being produced that you couldn't even trust high street vape shops not to have decent stock as their distributors would (accidentally?) supply them with fakes.

Compatible coil threads were a regular thing back then - there are probably a few still skulking around in the cobwebby corners of this, and other, sites but they don't seem to be relevant these days as the manufacturers seem to have gone for proprietary coils as uniform fitment obviously did nothing for their profits.

The companies that make and distribute these disposable abominations absolutely knew what the the end result would be, and they all decided that immediate profits were more desirable and made the decision to churn them out in the millions pocket the profits and fuck the consequences approach. Every American big name reviewer/influencer routinely promotes them with regular reviews because they knew that if they didn't their finances would dry up, so they sold out..

The people that buy these abominations don't give a fuck about toxic chemicals going to landfill or any of the other problems - they are the vaping equivalent of the arseholes that wind down their window and dump the contents of their ashtray into a car park.

As I've already stated, manufacturers are interested in immediate profitability and compatibility between every manufacturer's devices would jeopardise this. USB C adoption is one thing, but how about all the replacements of other electrical items that aren't interchangeable - air and water filters, vacuum bags/filters etc.

The manufacturers that acre currently churning out Ds will be looking at the 'problem' of their diminishing profits and trying to come up with a replacement that is cheap enough to attract their current customers. I'm thinking along the lines of the cheapest possible pressed plastic 'mod' that is pretty much identical to the current plastic battery housing of a d, but in a drab (non child attracting) colour with a USB charging port (which will cost pennies) and a separate plug in non refillable pod. IF it is financially viable and can be sold in numerous countries.

Personally I don't care about our current disposable users - if they go back to cigarettes then GOOD. Fuck them, fuck the shops that sold them and fuck the manufacturers. It will just be more cigarette butts thrown in the streets instead of bright plastic flammable and toxic items that brings negative attention to vapers as a whole. I don't feel I should have some obscure higher moral purpose that cares for the people that couldn't give a fuck about anyone else. Fuck them.

The worst thing about this IMO is pretty much every article I've read on disposables says the same thing "FLAVOURS LIKE .... THAT APPEAL TO CHILDREN.

I couldn't give a shit about the ignorant arseholes that use Ds. But I care an awful lot about the ammunition they have given to the 'protect the kids' brigade and it was obvious that they would include flavourings and totally ignore the reality that the majority of adults buy fruit and desert flavours.

In the long term I'm concerned about this being used as ammunition for flavour bans. And nothing else.

Thank you, good contribution.

Ideas like this always have good points and bad points so it's good to try and get an idea of the arguments on both sides.

Back
Top Bottom