What's new

Still confused :(

noz03

Initiate
I have been trying to pick out a first ecig for weeks now and as soon as I think I decide on something I read something that changes my mind...

I've raised my budget up to around £40 now, want something good and satisfying for a smoker. Was planning to get a kanger subox but now I am reading that they are dangerous... Something about batteries not being able to handle them. Why is this vaping stuff so damn complicated?!

Any advice from the experts on here?

I`m no expert by any means compared to most on here. I was a smoker for over 50 yrs. I can recommend a good combination for mouth to lung. A Wismec Presa from gearbest coupled with a Naturevape Mini or Midi Pro. Will cost less than £40.

Dangerous? The subox in particular or vaping in general? I think youve seen some bad press... Subox is regulated so your safe buddy,
unregulated devices you have to have an understanding of ohms law. Although I dont own a subox they are a reputable company and IMO your safe to go with it....

The subox has been an outstanding success and given it's a very well made regulated mod, the only potential danger involved will be down to user error. I'm not sure where you read that but it's absolute crap (like so many vaping related articles in the media). This is an outstanding piece of kit, especially as an entry level device into the world of vaping.

Having said that, you've got to ensure that you do your research before using a device like the subox. The device has a number of safety features built in (like most regulated devices), but you still need to ensure that you understand battery safety. Of paramount importance is that you choose a good quality battery that's suitable to the device (a battery that's capable of a minimum 20 amp discharge - something like a Samsung 25r).

Last edited:
the ohm rating is the coil resistance, you don't have to use the 0.3, there are 1.2/1.5 ohm coils, good batteries are samsung 25r (imo) cost around £12 a pair. lower resistance coils draw more amps from the batteries requiring a higher amperage battery, for example a 0.3 ohm coill at 30w is a 10 amp draw on the battery, where as a 1.5 ohm coil at 30w draws 4.4 amps. so lower resistance puts more strain on the batteries.

Well I am talking about things like this: https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...eads/battery-safety-and-sub-ohm-vaping.22819/

Says that subohm is dangerous if you dont know what you are doing (and I don't) it also said something about what battery to use for different ohm numbers, although none were as low as the subox which I think is 0.3 ohm. How much would a "safe" battery cost (cheapest safe option) for 0.3 ohm?
that post is 2 years old from 2013 and things have gone a long long way from then.
back then subohming was quite new, now its the norm.

Well I am talking about things like this: https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...eads/battery-safety-and-sub-ohm-vaping.22819/

Says that subohm is dangerous if you dont know what you are doing (and I don't) it also said something about what battery to use for different ohm numbers, although none were as low as the subox which I think is 0.3 ohm. How much would a "safe" battery cost (cheapest safe option) for 0.3 ohm?
OK. That post started two years ago. At that time, subohm vaping (vaping below 1 ohm resistance) was pretty much restricted to unregulated mods. These devices are for experienced vapers, and can be extremely dangerous in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

The subohm vaping market changed dramatically with the release of regulated devices (like the subox), and opened up this market to the masses. To use a regulated mod you don't need the same level of knowledge as an unregulated device, but you do need to understand the basics.

I'm probably not the best person on this forum to go into this in any detail. However, I can confirm that regulated devices pretty much do all of the work for you. They regulate the power output within a set range, they're very safe, very easy to use and understand.

But you do need to grasp the basics before using a device like this. There's lots of useful info on POTV and places like YouTube.

Hi @noz03,

I dig it, there's too much information out there. Felt exactly the same myself. And while personal anecdotes aren't data, I can offer this.

A subox mini was my second vape stick. My total knowledge at that point, (and arguably still) zero, zip, nada, square root of nothing.

It has been the easiest piece of gear, I've ever bought, with an 8 quid battery, and the kangertech 0.5 ohm coils, it's just done exactly what I want it to.

No muss, no fuss, no worries. Ignore the rebuildable coil, just buy stock coils and relax. Your only hassle will be the couple of drops of juice that never make it into the coil, no matter how much you wiggle the stick around!

It's quite amusing reading that old post nowadays. Back then they were using mainly unregulated mech mods and drippers ... subohming meant something completely different, it was pushing the technology of the time.

Today most vapers are using regulated devices, with variable wattage, temperature control and plenty of safety features built in. Vaping with a build of less than 1ohm is mainstream practice now, it's not pushing the envelope as it was a couple of years ago. You can buy the manufacturer's pre made coil heads for tanks in a variety of resistances and wire types - you don't have to use one that's less than 1ohm, you can if you wish ... you can also buy Ni200, Titanium and even stainless steel coils for Temperature control (TC) vaping if your tank and mod supports it.

Nevertheless, buying a good battery from a reputable source is common sense. Do that with a regulated mod and you can safely forget having to learn Ohm's Law.

I have started a few mates out with the Kanger Subtanks and the Subox starter kits. They are happy and still using them now. The learning curve is not difficult or long ... best to get 30 minutes of advice from experienced vapers. There's a guide to the Subtank on this site.

Be aware that some people switching from fags to vaping find the Subtank too airy, and it does take a little time to vape rather than smoke. Think slow and long inhales rather than quick, sharp tokes.

Back
Top Bottom