What's new

The variAnt at £600 is this the ultimate connoisseur kit ?

article-0-18E34E9B00000578-93_634x234.jpg
ClickHandler.ashx
Son of a...

and already ripped off when you look at the brass or copper engraved chi you on FT . basically a rip off of the otto designs.

I expect the gales of scornful laughter ringing in their ears when they whip this out at Vapefest will take the shine off that pretty quick.

I can just about see this at £300, but only just. But really, PWM regulation? And weedy battery life? At half the price, you'd still not be getting very much for your money *except* bragging rights. At £600, I think even amongst the few who would recognize what you had in your hand, a majority would be thinking: mug.

I don't think I'd even thank you for a clone of this thing - I wouldn't want people thinking I was daft enough to buy an original.

Something I have been complaining about for a while to be honest. Let's face facts - these mod makers are still new businesses in an emerging market, they are NOT breaking the rules of physics, usability or design when they come up with yet another friggin metal tube or box with a display or not. They ARE taking the piss with their pricing though, sorry but the majority of mod makers have people's pants down because they WILL find buyers.

The variant is a vamo on 'roids with a fancy screen and a well machined box yet it is being marketed like Apple do their products. Apple I have enough of an issue with for overpricing and overmarketing but at least they HAVE done innovation, stood the test of time and gone through the hardships which eventually break or make a company. PWM on a high end box mod - errr - you haven't done much with those internals or circuitry have you Vicious Ant? I remember reading VapourArt travelling 2500 miles to source a spring for a mod, one specific component they wanted to get right at the manufacturers to suit their need exactly - not this 'any old hardware, just jack it up to 11' bollocks which is prevalent at the moment.

And will mod makers, please, for FFS stop releasing their mods again with some banal coloured coating to shift more units as 'special edition' If you want to earn your high end price tags go and do some fricking innovation again (sorry, rant now closing)

Something I have been complaining about for a while to be honest. Let's face facts - these mod makers are still new businesses in an emerging market, they are NOT breaking the rules of physics, usability or design when they come up with yet another friggin metal tube or box with a display or not. They ARE taking the piss with their pricing though, sorry but the majority of mod makers have people's pants down because they WILL find buyers.

The variant is a vamo on 'roids with a fancy screen and a well machined box yet it is being marketed like Apple do their products. Apple I have enough of an issue with for overpricing and overmarketing but at least they HAVE done innovation, stood the test of time and gone through the hardships which eventually break or make a company. PWM on a high end box mod - errr - you haven't done much with those internals or circuitry have you Vicious Ant? I remember reading VapourArt travelling 2500 miles to source a spring for a mod, one specific component they wanted to get right at the manufacturers to suit their need exactly - not this 'any old hardware, just jack it up to 11' bollocks which is prevalent at the moment.

And will mod makers, please, for FFS stop releasing their mods again with some banal coloured coating to shift more units as 'special edition' If you want to earn your high end price tags go and do some fricking innovation again (sorry, rant now closing)

why arent you a mod maker damn it ! with this kind of thinking youd have us all vaping awesome !

I watched Tods review of it last night and was extremely interested as it is a seriously sexy looking mod. Then he mentioned the price and I too muttered a"fuck me"That kind of money grabbing structure is unnecessary. Even $500 is ridiculous. For that kind of money I would want the case encrusted with gemstones or such.
The other problem I have with it was when he demonstrated it's size. It is too large for what it does, I have a 4000 mah lipo pack in my mod and it is about 4cm x 2cm x 3cm and the Hammond box containing it and the USB charging board has still room spare to add a variable power device/board if I changed the switch type. I'm still aimlessly searching the net for enclosures that are tidy(these ones I'm using are dirt cheap and have various dents, poor casting faults etc)externally, but these Chinese boxes are good enough to practise builds on. The biggest issue I have with the VariAnt price is I know how cheaply the components can be bought for(my boxes components can be sourced for under£20)and having seen the insides of Tods I think that asking over £170 is poor. There are plenty of modders around that would build a box mod capable of variable power, that would also go even higher power for about£150 and the only real difference between them is the modders wouldn't have an ant logo.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Planet of the Vapes mobile app

Anyone can design a mod and get it CNC'd, Pinoy manufacturers are taking the piss now.

It's the switch design and the pin that makes a difference in something usable and something innovative - which is why I have a problem with those ripping off Vapourart...although they have yet to make anything approaching a proper V3/X cap.

But people appear to want to lap up any old shit thrown at them - the multicoloured Rainbow Pony Panzer being a case in point.

Vapefest will be interesting.

its not just these overprices piles of crap though. just look at the DNA30 chip.. going price for it is what around £35-40?
its as flimsy as hell on the cabling to the screen and can break as soon as you so much look at it yet they are churning clones of this chip out that seemingly are just as good ( if not better ) by the thousands. mass produced and you can bet cost no more that a few pennies to make.
sure you might say the technology thats gone into them but even that i would dispute. chip making has been around for decades now and the mchines they have in these factories to manufacture such chips are the same machines that make a million other chips. the only difference between them in 99% of cases is the actual coding/software side of things programmed into the chips.
they are in essence very very basic circuit boards with a limited fixed function and design.
you only have to look at computer CPU's and the processes used to make them. it has changed very little in 30 years. yes the actual wafer technology of chips and the design level to keep them running cooler and faster with nanotechnology has developed BUT the actual process of making them has altered very little.
apple components.. many were made from one factory in china that has a 400,000 workforce.
that was foxconn ( makers of motherboards mainly )
it was only because foxconn was heavily in the news due to some alledged poor work practices and suicides there that apple switched to a different manufacturer of components, but the story is still the same in that the parts are made for pennies.

I worked for 8 years in Computer hardware and was doing R&D for EVERY major hard drive manufactuer ( seagate, WD, Hitachi, Toshiba, FUjitsu ) as well as working independently for many storage manufacturers.
you would be amazed ( or not ) at just how cheap the end product is to make ( solid state drives cost less than £1 to make regardless of capacity ) yet for a 128gb SSD you were expected to pay close to £200 during first year of major release . why.. research and development.. and thats where the money and costs come from.

yet when you get a product like the DNA30 chip. you do have to wonder how much research and development has gone into it ( expecially in the chinese clone market ) to justify an item that costs pennies to make selling for £30+

on the otehr side of the coin you have the Otto mods at $1000+ a basic metal tube.. but what you get is not a mass produced product but something one off, hand crafted , from years of skill and many many hours of work involved.

not something churned out in there thousands per day by a machine.

ok sorry ive rambled and waffled and probably zero end point to this .. .. just wanted to get the rant off my chest!

Back
Top Bottom