What's new

Vaping is under threat

They banned vaping indoors in Wales last month, meaning all vapers who are trying to quit smoking have to go outside and join the dirty smokers. How does that make sense? Laws are meant to protect people not force them against their will. Surely, it's the owner's responsibility and decision whether to allow vaping indoors or not.

It isn't banned yet, there is a consultation taking place that has a good chance of stopping it, and you can get involved and submit your evidence for why it shouldn't happen. If you click on the Vapers in Power link in the OP you will find details on how to do that in last week's post, and a petition from the Welsh Liberal Democrats in one a week or so before that

louisvape93 now I am on my laptop rather than the phone here are the links

Welsh call for evidence Consultation | National Assembly for Wales

Walkthrough to help filling it out https://www.dropbox.com/s/hbmhgx0s5j3qdx0/Wales Walkthrough.pdf?dl=0

Welsh Liberal Democrat petition Stop Labour's e-cigs ban

Bear in mind that if the ban goes through it will be illegal in Wales to try an ecig in a vaping shop so all juice testing goes out the window, as well as any tutorials on how to use a vaping device.

thanks for the post

If you are reading this there is a good chance that you are new to the world of vaping, so firstly WELCOME to the community :welcome1:

Vaping has been around since 2006, and has increased greatly in popularity. Vaping is what is known as a 'disruptive technology' - it developed outside the normal channels by which consumer products are brought to the market. As a result of that it has been largely unregulated, but this is about to change.

In every country across the world governments are introducing regulations. In some countries these are extremely restrictive, to the point where the purchase of vaping products is banned. In others there has so far been a somewhat more enlightened approach.

Now don't get me wrong, regulations with regards to vaping are not all bad - in fact I would go as far as to say that some regulation is essential. The key is that the regulation needs to be proportionate, and a ban on vaping or purchasing vaping products most definitely is not that.

Now before you all run around screaming like chickens with their heads cut off, all is not lost. There are a large and varied range of campaigns, lobbying and legal actions taking place. These aim to shape regulation in a way that protects people from shoddy products and prevents the purchase of products by children, but still allows vaping to exist and grow and fulfil its potential AND YOU CAN HELP.

I have listed some of the most important actions and organisations (imo) that are fighting on behalf of vaping, along with links that allow you to sign up and show your support, add your name to a petition, or otherwise get involved. If you want to take it further and become an active vaping advocate there are lots of opportunities within the organisations listed.

Totally Wicked are a vape vendor that is mounting a legal challenge against impending regulations in Europe (The Tobacco Products Directive). You can sign to support their challenge - the more endorsements they get the better. Article 20 Tobacco Products Directive Legal Challenge - Totally Wicked Legal Challenge Article 20 TPD

The New Nicotine Alliance (NNA) is a registered charity whose board is made up of vapers, public health analysts and scientists. They are involved in lobbying the British government, advising professional bodies and briefing the media with regards to reduced risk nicotine delivery devices. You can sign up to be a supporter here Supporter sign-up form - New Nicotine Alliance UK

M.O.V.E is a body of scientists and medical professionals that are in support of vaping and electronic cigarettes. If your doctor or other health professional is in support of vaping please pass them the details of the organisation and ask them to sign up https://sciencecig.wordpress.com/move/

AIDUCE is the French Independent Association of Electronic Cigarette Users, their petition against the implementation of the Tobacco Products Directive has been gathering strength. Anyone can sign it, the rules which affect all of us could be defeated in any country, and all of us would reap the benefit. This page provides an English translation of the petition - clicking on the picture at the top takes you to the online form. Aiduce Anti TPD Petition | vapers.org.uk

CASAA is the Consumer Advocates for Smokefree Alternatives Association in America. It started out on a vaping forum in 2009 and now has over 40,000 members. You can sign up to be notified of any Calls to Action for the area in which you live, and you can also add your testimonial to their collection of success stories about vaping and smoke-free alternatives. http://casaa.org/E-cig_User_Testimonials.html

Vapers in Power is a political party, registered in the UK with the Electoral Commission. The party was set up by a group of ordinary vapers in response to a clause in the Tobacco Products Directive that could have a direct effect on the free speech of vapers. Each week they publish a Call to Action on the forums, Facebook and Twitter which has things you can do to help vaping. These include petitions, protests, letters and government consultations. http://vapersinpower.co.uk/call-to-action

thanks for the post

It isn't banned yet, there is a consultation taking place that has a good chance of stopping it, and you can get involved and submit your evidence for why it shouldn't happen. If you click on the Vapers in Power link in the OP you will find details on how to do that in last week's post, and a petition from the Welsh Liberal Democrats in one a week or so before that

I treat vaping like smoking in many ways, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it indoors around people who don't do it any more than I would light a fag up

The not trying it in Vapes shop is a daft extension to the rule

But a no vaping ban akin to the no smoking ban wouldn't bother me personally ,I took up vaping to get off the cigs not just have a smoking substitute i could do where I pleased

Last edited:
I treat vamping like smoking in many ways, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it indoors around people who don't do it any more than I would light a fag up

The not trying it in Vapes shop is a daft extension to the rule

But a no vaping ban akin to the no smoking ban wouldn't bother me personally ,I took up vaping to get off the cigs not just have a smoking substitute j could do where I pleased

A no vaping ban akin to the smoking ban WOULD ban it in vaping shops. Personally I think individual property owners should have the right to decide. I always ask, and I never stealth if I am denied permission. The smoking ban exists because of the evidence that passive smoke is harmful. The evidence for vaping is that passive vaping is not harmful. The job of government is not introducing laws 'because we don't like it very much' I don't happen to like people eating smelly food on buses, but resolving this should be up to the bus operator, not the government.

Vaping threat - time to stockup

Having completed a number of petitions and keeping a keen eye on possibilities of full restrictions in the uk I've stocked up on nicotine which can be frozen for a number years.. It's disappointing to see that smoking related numbers have fallen in the NHS HERE IN ENGLAND and no one recognises that vaping has been a major factor in the number of reductions.. My take well? it's as simple ......if it's not broken leave it alone i've been vaping for 7 years go to the gym and some say for my age I look fitter than most.

I may be wrong but I haven't heard of anyone dying due to vaping, I get that in a few years health problems may come up but the odds look slim given all the science world has thrown at vapers to try to discredit vaping.

The bans and regulations have nothing more than taxes in mind , I'm hoping our government listen to our voice but if they don't then imports will rocket as china and other such like countries don't care about penalties and a lot of unemployed in the uk. Just my take ... Great forum and looking forward to using it more now I'm registered

Maby i am just a conspiracy theorist but i honestly think the big tobacco company's will be driving all these negatives and trying there hardest to push out vaping you your health your bank balance means nothing to them like most big company's you are just a number and in there case you are a number who buys there product you stop buying there product they lose money and this is a problem for them so in gaining numbers they must take people away from the competition and regardless the cost of people health etc they will do what it takes. I would put money on that these tobacco company's gift mp's and influential government figures holiday homes cars etc.

is the ban just regarding nic juice ?

would vaping 0mg still be legal or will all the tanks etc be banned ?

not ideal but nicotine patch and 0mg vaping seems a better solution than back to the fags for me at least

im on 3-6 most of the time anyway

is the ban just regarding nic juice ?

Any juice over 20mg will be banned and nic concentrate (which is usually 54mg and 72mg).

would vaping 0mg still be legal or will all the tanks etc be banned ?
Most if not all of the pre tpd tanks will not meet the new tpd criteria so will (eventually) be illegal to sell. Don't know precisely when because there might be a grandfathering period, perhaps a year or so after May 2016.

not ideal but nicotine patch and 0mg vaping seems a better solution than back to the fags for me at least

Never thought of that, a nic patch and zero nic vaping. Hmm, think I'll pass on that, nic patches made my skin very sore and gave me horrific nightmares.

Any juice over 20mg will be banned and nic concentrate (which is usually 54mg and 72mg).

Most if not all of the pre tpd tanks will not meet the new tpd criteria so will (eventually) be illegal to sell. Don't know precisely when because there might be a grandfathering period, perhaps a year or so after May 2016.

Never thought of that, a nic patch and zero nic vaping. Hmm, think I'll pass on that, nic patches made my skin very sore and gave me horrific nightmares.

At a push I'll buy whatever ecigs they do pass then 20mg is more than i vape now anyway

Either way I can't and won't go back on the fags for my own reasons so it's an option at least

Hopefully by next year I'll be on 0 nic anyway or close to and smoking and vaping can do one :D

Back
Top Bottom