What's new

Vaping is under threat

noob opinion

As a noob vapourer (is that the right term?) I am sad to hear of possible bans in the UK. The only reason could be the extortionate amount of tax that the crown make on the sale of tobacco products. I hear the argument that smokers cost the NHS X amount so that the government should welcome quiting but in reality the pension crisis is the main concern, people are living longer and the gov has to fork out millions a year in state-pensions so why not win on both fronts, get people to smoke, tax it into oblivion and then not have to pay pensions as people dont live as long. The result of this has to be either a ban or more likely new extortionate taxes on e-liquids.

I noticed something else while quickly browsing the forum, a potential ban on concentrated nicotine; I would ask in that case if the tobacco companies will also be banned in carrying such substance?

Vaping Smoke Still Not Accepted

Ever since the smoking ban was introduced, the habit has been classed as Anti Social Behaviour. Smoking inside public buildings has well and truly come into force nationwide. Now there is a threat that smoking should be banned outside as well, especially on private land. This is already happening in Hospitals, where smoking anywhere on site is banned. Railway Stations, even in open areas, smoking is banned. Public Parks and Gardens will be the next target and within the next few years, it will be against the law to smoke anywhere outside, except in your own private garden.

But how long before E cigarettes are included?

We have just come back from a visit to York and whilst there, visited the National Railway Museum. This place is a smoke free site and smoking is banned both inside and outside areas of the premises, with No Smoking signs displayed everywhere. As my wife and I have started vaping, we thought that when outside at the Museum, we would be okay with our e cigs. But No! We were approached by a member of staff and told to stop using them, as it was still classed as smoking. I didn't argue with him, and we put our vaping pens away.

It seems that because these devices only produce harmless vapours, they produce smoke (or vapour) and because of this, they are classed as smoking and may be offensive to people who don't smoke, or have never smoked. The hotel we stayed in would not allow us to use our vaping pens inside the hotel, even in our own bedroom, but was okay for us to use them outside in the garden or outside the front entrance, amongst those people who still smoked cigarettes.

It seems that although e cigarettes don't produce tar or other lethal chemicals, they may still cause a threat to non smokers and should not be encouraged to be used in public places. As far as I can see, vaping will never be accepted as an alternative to smoking, because they give out smoke, which seems to be the menace, not that it is harmless, but that it is still classed as being unsociable amongst non smokers. Where do you draw the line?

Geoff & Wendy

Ever since the smoking ban was introduced, the habit has been classed as Anti Social Behaviour. Smoking inside public buildings has well and truly come into force nationwide. Now there is a threat that smoking should be banned outside as well, especially on private land. This is already happening in Hospitals, where smoking anywhere on site is banned. Railway Stations, even in open areas, smoking is banned. Public Parks and Gardens will be the next target and within the next few years, it will be against the law to smoke anywhere outside, except in your own private garden.

But how long before E cigarettes are included?

We have just come back from a visit to York and whilst there, visited the National Railway Museum. This place is a smoke free site and smoking is banned both inside and outside areas of the premises, with No Smoking signs displayed everywhere. As my wife and I have started vaping, we thought that when outside at the Museum, we would be okay with our e cigs. But No! We were approached by a member of staff and told to stop using them, as it was still classed as smoking. I didn't argue with him, and we put our vaping pens away.

It seems that because these devices only produce harmless vapours, they produce smoke (or vapour) and because of this, they are classed as smoking and may be offensive to people who don't smoke, or have never smoked. The hotel we stayed in would not allow us to use our vaping pens inside the hotel, even in our own bedroom, but was okay for us to use them outside in the garden or outside the front entrance, amongst those people who still smoked cigarettes.

It seems that although e cigarettes don't produce tar or other lethal chemicals, they may still cause a threat to non smokers and should not be encouraged to be used in public places. As far as I can see, vaping will never be accepted as an alternative to smoking, because they give out smoke, which seems to be the menace, not that it is harmless, but that it is still classed as being unsociable amongst non smokers. Where do you draw the line?

Geoff & Wendy

The current science demonstrates that they cause no threat to bystanders, even when used in an enclosed space. To ban them in the open air has nothing to do with medical concerns. It is nannystate-itus at its worst.
I don't happen to like the smell of someone eating an egg sandwich, but whilst I might prevent them from eating them in my lounge, it would be ridiculous to suggest I should be able to control whether they can be eaten at a picnic in a public park.

I'll be adding my name to the list of petitions and lobbies in the first post.

I think it is disgusting to suggest banning Vaping.

I still feel unclean!

There has been a lot of negative press about vaping, mainly being pushed by the 'Stop Smoking' campaigners and I feel that non-smokers still view vaping as being offensive and anti-social. As such, out of respect (and probably embarrassment) I still go outside, or at least remove myself, in order to vape. It's a pity as I had hoped to loose that 'leper' stigma.

Vaping goes shut indoors but tell who be do it in indoors its a enjoyment. Go out side and enjoy ,if you don't want warning on fire alarm inside.:):)

So sad

I was a 30 a a day smoker till I started vaping. Now I just vape and love blowing massive clouds but also love the flavour I would never blow them in a pub or inside anywhere. As some people just don't under stand what it is. I'll be joining every one and try and fight this ban vaping rubbish.

Dont Panic

The powers that be have been fighting this for a long time now with pretty much no success alot of there arguments and proposals are against eu process can see tpd getting slight grip on some things like max nic content perhaps max bottle size but as for regulating mods consistent nic delivery and leak free refilling cant see how they are going to enforce this let alone police it?

The supporters list for the Totally Wicked legal challenge is being handed over at the Dept of Health in Whitehall on the 29th of September at 11am.

The call is going out for as many vapers as possible to attend, and for vendors to come flying their colours. It isn't the best day of the week for mass attendance, but the more that can be there the better.

Back
Top Bottom